PDA

View Full Version : Anyone grow this?

peculiarmike
07-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Wondering if anyone has some of this in the garden, or a patch someplace?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z125/peculiarmike/generalstuff858.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z125/peculiarmike/generalstuff859.jpg

It's..............................

Horseradish
I planted 10 roots, 7 came up so far.

chadd17
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Very cool Mike :thumbs up: I thought about planting some ealier but never got around to it.

jminion
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Once it takes off over the years it can take over a lot of area. You will find the tubers quite deep also.

peculiarmike
07-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Once it takes off over the years it can take over a lot of area. You will find the tubers quite deep also.

Yeah, it's invasive. That's why I put it in the raised bed. And I'll probably have to thin it later.
I really like the stuff though. Fresh grated on a tenderloin sammie.... :wow:

Joneser
07-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Looks good, I've never really thought about growing it, but I love to eat it!
I don't have too much of a green thumb.

SmokyOkie
07-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I planted it once years ago. It never really made any roots big enough to mess with. I left it in for two years and it took forever to get rid of, but still never made any roots big enough to harvest.

I think the summers down here are just too hot for it. I tried rhubarb as well and had no luck with it either. I would love to have some of each.

tsunami_tommy
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I've had pretty decent luck with the stuff at a previous home. I went throught a couple of choppers/processers when cutting the stuff up. You'll want something "heavy duty" when it's time to harvest. I've also been told you only want to harvest in months that end in "R." Not sure if that's true, or just out of the "farmer's almanac."

jminion
07-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I've had pretty decent luck with the stuff at a previous home. I went throught a couple of choppers/processers when cutting the stuff up. You'll want something "heavy duty" when it's time to harvest. I've also been told you only want to harvest in months that end in "R." Not sure if that's true, or just out of the "farmer's almanac."

Yes you want harvest in the fall.