PDA

View Full Version : Salute

gkainz
06-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Our church hosted a Celebrate America (4th of July) open house/celebration yesterday. Part of the festivities was a concert by Legacy Quartet (http://legacyquartet.com/index.html), a southern gospel singing group, who reminded me a lot of Statler Brothers. They did some really good music, and then did Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA" which made me just weep like a baby. (You youngsers go ahead and snicker - you'll see when you get older - stuff just really starts to tug on your heart-strings, well, mine at least - see "What makes you cry?" thread elsewhere).

But wait! There's more! The whole crowd was on their feet after about the 3rd note - yeah, I'm old - it took me a second longer to stand up!), so after getting sat back down, they acknowledged the veterans in the crowd and had us stand. Man, there's a lot of old guys out there! I salute you!

But then they asked if there were any active duty servicemen or women in the audience and a few more stood up. They received an overwhelming round of applause.

And then ... they asked if there were family and friends in the audience who has lost a loved one in the service. A hush fell on that crowd like I've not felt before when maybe a dozen people stood up. Applause seemed so inadequate, so trivial when compared to their loss and their loved one's sacrifice. I wanted to reach out and hug each one of them - moms and dads, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters standing there.

To our veterans here - thank you for your service. To those who have lost loved ones in defense of our country and our freedom - thank you just isn't enough. We will never forget.

Joneser
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I agree, Greg. The servicemen and women past and present, here or gone are in my prayers as they fight and have fought for our freedom! God Bless the U.S.A.!