PDA

View Full Version : Hot Candied Nuts!

Geek with Fire
02-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Oh man, did I screw up. I slopped together a concoction tonight and didn't measure a thing. I just took a sample and it was fabulous. I'm sure I'll never be able to reproduce it!

Thought I'd take advantage of the 12 degree weather and cold smoke some cheese for a snack day tomorrow at work. I had also gotten some mixed nuts that I wanted to smoke. So I mixed the following in the wok over medium high heat:
34 oz mixed nuts
hot bacon grease (about 1/4 cup)
few dashes of soy sauce
1/3 bottle Cayenne hot drops (3 fl oz "dat'l do-it" brand)
(stir in well before adding anything else)
1.5 handfuls of brown sugar
dry mustard powder
chili powder
cayenne powder
red pepper flake
honey

Cooked, stiring regularly, for about 20 minutes. Then put them in the cold smoker. They've been smoking for about 3 1/2 hours with apple chips. I'm gonna let them go for another hour then pull them. I'm tellin' you the balance between heat and sweet was perfect. I'll never get it right again!

Too cold to take the camera outside. I'll take some shots when I bring them in.

Geek with Fire
02-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Pulled the nuts off the smoker at about the 4 hour mark. Here's the results:

http://www.jegreer.com/images/forum/3204-web.jpg

http://www.jegreer.com/images/forum/3206-web.jpg

They look sticky, but are really more like a brittle. Since they were a little warm I layed them out on some plastic wrap to cool flat and separate. In any event, they took on smoke very nicely. The smoke compliments the spice in a big bad way.

peculiarmike
02-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Dang they look tasty Josh! Now you have to do more and keep at it until you get the proportions right. :drooling:

TX Sandman
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
:drooling::thumbs up: Looks great, Josh! Like Mike said, now you just need to get that recipe down.

nascarchuck
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Another one for the "to do list"... :sign0092:

SmokyOkie
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Josh, I'll PM my addy to you and you can send me some. Then as a favor for a friend, I'll review them for you.:eating::eating::msn-wink:

PigCicles
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Man I love those technical recipes. Josh - those look great! Let us know when you get it down.

Happy Cooker
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Looks great!! Keep us posted!! Jeff

BA_LoKo
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
"I slopped together a concoction tonight and didn't measure a thing."

I've done that countless times and have regretted it often. Those look great!

SmokyOkie
03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Pix please

gdragon
12-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, care to take a ballpark guess at the amounts you used?
I was thinking of smoking some cheese later and this would take up the unused space.

SmokyOkie
12-27-2008, 05:21 PM
some dry brined salon would fit nicely in the cold smoker along with cheese wouldn't it?

Pippa
12-27-2008, 10:44 PM
It's always the way when you don't measure...it turns out so good. Great job!! :thumbs up:

Geek with Fire
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Going through my notes, I found the measurements that I used on the last go around. Here's the updated recipe:

Over medium-low heat, render the fat from about 6-8 slices of bacon
pitch the bacon (or at least remove it from the pan)
add 34 oz of mixed nuts
stir well to coat everything well
stir in 1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup of tabasco sauce (I like chipotle)
stir well to coat
When sugar is melted
stir in add:
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red paper flake
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup honey

Cold smoke for about 3-4 hours in one of those black wally world veggie things that some of you use for baskets in your firebox. I like Cherry wood, but just about any hardwood will work for nuts. I also try to keep them closer to the heat source so they stay sticky. Then you can give them a stir about every hour to keep the smoke even.

Sorry I respodned so late to your original request.

gdragon
12-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Awesome, I was going to try winging it tomorrow. That's about the amounts I was going to use, might use a little more cayenne and a little more honey. Will post how it works out.

Bbqdude
08-31-2015, 01:40 PM
Just found this post...

Looking at these pics really makes my mouth water!

Would love to try doing a batch of these for football season :)