PDA

View Full Version : looking for spicy/hot rub or marinade.

lazy
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Does anyone have a rub recipe that will make eyeballs roll, ears steam, and sweat run down faces? A number of the guys I work with have asked for more spice/heat in the Q when I bring it in.

Next time I take some in, I would like one batch of pork that will make them whimper for water when they eat it, and walk funny and sit gingerly the next day:msn-wink:.

Until I started this smoking thing, we had always been a boring salt-and-pepper family--:shrug:my spice knowledge is pretty poor. Mostly what I've picked up reading the smoking forums.

Can anyone help me out with a rub and/or marinade that will get their attention?

Thanks.

SmokyOkie
06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Take whatever rub you like and add some ground chipotle or habanero. Be real careful with the habanero though.

lazy
06-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info Smoky. A general idea on how much "some" is? Are we talking about a couple of tablespoons? 1/2 cup? Sorry--I'm a bit dense on how much of this stuff it takes to make a difference.

I can sprinkle some more rub over the meat once it's been pulled, correct?

Thanks again.

BA_LoKo
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info Smoky. A general idea on how much "some" is? Are we talking about a couple of tablespoons? 1/2 cup? Sorry--I'm a bit dense on how much of this stuff it takes to make a difference.

I can sprinkle some more rub over the meat once it's been pulled, correct?

Thanks again.

That will depend on how big of a batch of rub you're making. Once your rub is made up, start by adding either of the ground peppers that Smoky mentioned. When you get the desired level of heat that you're wanting, make a note on your recipe card as to how much it took. If the guys are still asking for more, you can on the next batch.

I've found that lots of guys like to run their mouth about how much heat they can handle. You know how guys can be competitive. They'll say that want more heat, but you'll find that the food won't get eaten like it previously did. You'll probably know when you've crossed the line of acceptable "heat level".

SmokyOkie
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, we came across one of those macho" I can take anything hot" types at a competition last fall, right guys? He met his fate at the hands of a whole fresh Bhut Jolokia.

Lazy, "some" is however much you might want. It's kinda like how much pepper do you put on your corn on the cob.

Yes, you can always bring some extra pepper with you and let them shake on however much they want.

I always try not to make things very hot, including chili. Adding heat is as simple as sprinkling on a little pepper sauce or ground pepper. People can always adjust heat to their own tastes.

I've never seen a recipe hurt by lack of heat, but I've seen many ruined by an excess of it.

chef schwantz
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, we came across one of those macho" I can take anything hot" types at a competition last fall, right guys? He met his fate at the hands of a whole fresh Bhut Jolokia.

Lazy, "some" is however much you might want. It's kinda like how much pepper do you put on your corn on the cob.

Yes, you can always bring some extra pepper with you and let them shake on however much they want.

I always try not to make things very hot, including chili. Adding heat is as simple as sprinkling on a little pepper sauce or ground pepper. People can always adjust heat to their own tastes.

I've never seen a recipe hurt by lack of heat, but I've seen many ruined by an excess of it.

:whathesaid:

lazy
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I've found that lots of guys like to run their mouth about how much heat they can handle. You know how guys can be competitive. They'll say that want more heat, but you'll find that the food won't get eaten like it previously did. You'll probably know when you've crossed the line of acceptable "heat level".

Yep! That's what I expect. I want to go directly to just past that line-- just to stop the conversation. Otherwise it will come up every time we do this. There are only two or three, but it's always the same ones no matter what the discussion is. Petty of me? Probably. I just want to shut them up before they become overbearing and make this a chore instead of an enjoyable experience.

Everybody chips in to cover the cost of the meat. I will happily cover the cost of a small butt myself just to spice it up enough to get them to shut the fork up. If by chance it ends up just like they want it, and enough folks eat it, then I'll continue making some that way.

lazy
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
[quote=BA_LoKo;42505]Once your rub is made up, start by adding either of the ground peppers that Smoky mentioned. When you get the desired level of heat that you're wanting, make a note on your recipe card as to how much it took. [quote]

What I would consider plenty spicey, I have a feeling won't even register with these guys. Maybe I'll just start a small batch rub and let them taste it to see what they think. When they think it's about right, I'll probably add a touch more. Things get spicier when they're cooked, right:shrug:?

Joneser
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd make a special batch for them with some Dave's Insanity sauce....that's shut them up...worked on the Mexicans here where I work.

Chargrilled
06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Things get spicier when they're cooked, right:shrug:?

Actually when your Qing things tend to get less hot (example Jap peppers)

What I would do Lazy is take it up till it is almost too hot for you, then whatever that amount of extra hot was that you added double it!!!:msn-wink:

Or like Joneser said, cook it normal then when they come off the pit drench it in some crazy hot chit and serve.

lazy
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Leave it to the Hoosiers to get to the point.

Thanks, guys! You know exactly where I'm coming from and where I'm heading on this one. I'll let you know how it turns out when it happens...

SmokyOkie
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
[quote=BA_LoKo;42505]Once your rub is made up, start by adding either of the ground peppers that Smoky mentioned. When you get the desired level of heat that you're wanting, make a note on your recipe card as to how much it took. [quote]

What I would consider plenty spicey, I have a feeling won't even register with these guys. Maybe I'll just start a small batch rub and let them taste it to see what they think. When they think it's about right, I'll probably add a touch more. Things get spicier when they're cooked, right:shrug:?

Actually, it's generally the opposite. Oleoresin capsicum ( the heat chemical in peppers) breaks down to a certain degree with heat.

Umpa
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I'd make a special batch for them with some Dave's Insanity sauce....that's shut them up...worked on the Mexicans here where I work.

thats what i was gonna suggest.. grab a bottle for 8 bucks that will last them for a while. i might kick the rub up a bit and start messing with sauce. i as at a ribfest this weekend, and 2 of the ribbers had wide selections of sauce. the hots were warm, the killers were borderline pure diablo sweat!! one of the places had the waivers for their sauce, made with habenero oil...

make some sauce, add the heat and let it sit. try it again. i made the mistake of doing some good ol nc vinegar sauce and didn't let the chili flake blend in before reseasoning.. it made a good buffalo wing sauce later!!:oops:

californiasmokin
06-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I might suggest you grill some Jalapenos whole and set them out for the folks that like heat.The Taco trucks out here have them.Don't take out the stem or seeds .

Siesta Man
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have a rub recipe that will make eyeballs roll, ears steam, and sweat run down faces? A number of the guys I work with have asked for more spice/heat in the Q when I bring it in.

Next time I take some in, I would like one batch of pork that will make them whimper for water when they eat it, and walk funny and sit gingerly the next day:msn-wink:.

Until I started this smoking thing, we had always been a boring salt-and-pepper family--:shrug:my spice knowledge is pretty poor. Mostly what I've picked up reading the smoking forums.

Can anyone help me out with a rub and/or marinade that will get their attention?

Thanks.

Hi Lazy, here is my marinade to make JAMAICAN JERKED PORK:woohoo:. Can also to be used for poultry and other meats. This recipe is for app. one pound of pork. If you need more marinade, I would suggest that you increase only the liquids. Increasing the spices might make the marinade to strong because the spices are themselves strong. I use the taste as you go method. You can increase your heat by increasing the amount of fresh chili peppers.:wow: If you have any leftover marinade after grilling, transfer to sauce pan and heat to bubbly to eliminate any chance of bacteria. After meat is jerked you can add marinade to it a little at a time, it has a pop to it. Taste as you go.This is one of my favorites, Enjoy :thumbs up: E.T.

1/2---cup---chopped scallions.
1/2---cup---tequilla
4------stemmed, serrano chilis, chopped fine with seeds, or 1/2 scotch bonnet chile, seeded, chopped fine.
2------tbl.---olive oil.
1------tbl.---soy sauce.
1------tbl.---fresh lime juice.
2------tsps.--ground allspice.
1------lrg.---clove of garlic, minced.
1------tsp.---coarse salt.
1/2----tsp.---sugar.
1------tsp.---cheyenne pepper.
1/2----tsp.---coarse black pepper.
1/2----tsp.---dried thyme
1/4----tsp.---cinnamon.
1/4----tsp.---ground ginger.
1/8----tsp.---fresh grated nutmeg.

Puree ingredientes and transfer to ziplock bag. Add meat and into fridge for at least 8 hrs. Grill/smoke and enjoy.

SmokyOkie
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
That sounds like a great jerk marinade ET! thanx for sharing.:thumbs up:

Siesta Man
06-17-2009, 06:30 AM
That sounds like a great jerk marinade ET! thanx for sharing.:thumbs up:

Your more than welcome Tim and for all who try it please post your results. E.T.

Joneser
06-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow, ET....that made my tongue burn just reading it....never tried a Scotch Bonnet before, I hear they are a variant of a Habenaro. That should satisfy the guys at work, Lazy.

SmokyOkie
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow, ET....that made my tongue burn just reading it....never tried a Scotch Bonnet before, I hear they are a variant of a Habenaro. That should satisfy the guys at work, Lazy.

they are one in the same Brian, though the most popular one in the carribean seems to be the extra hot red savina variety.

Here's a link (http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/hot_peppers.htm) you might enjoy

okie joe
06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Habenero =scottish bonnet.....way to hot for me....I saw a man in Texas cut one into and rub it on a bulls nose and the bull didnt eat for 48 hrs.....My daughter can not eat black pepper in anything the caspim (pepperoils in black pepper ) will break her mouth out in ulcerated sores....so it is a no hot here and none in hers. can't even put it in sasuage she is going to eat,,,,not even salt and pepper in steak....etc...

Jake
06-18-2009, 03:18 AM
i made some chilli back in the day that would make the person beside you sweat, i use to love it like that, and people thought i never ate it like that, but i did napkin in hand. all i can say is when you mix your magic you gotta taste it to see what the x factor is, need more, less etc if its to hot use a mix of yogurt, diced cucs and fresh mint. thats it if i remember it cools the burn like nothing else (as a dip) hope this helps

Siesta Man
06-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Habenero =scottish bonnet.....way to hot for me....I saw a man in Texas cut one into and rub it on a bulls nose and the bull didnt eat for 48 hrs.....My daughter can not eat black pepper in anything the caspim (pepperoils in black pepper ) will break her mouth out in ulcerated sores....so it is a no hot here and none in hers. can't even put it in sasuage she is going to eat,,,,not even salt and pepper in steak....etc...

Hi Joe, The heavy heat is way to hot for most. I posted it for "Lazy" to fix some meat for his co-workers. This recipe, I tune down according to the guests that are coming for dinner. Most of my guests prefer a low octane gastric experience. The nice thig about this recipe is you can set your own level of heat with the type of pepper that you use. E.T.

SmokyOkie
06-22-2009, 09:56 AM

The chemical in black pepper that makes it hot is pepperine.

The chemical in chili peppers that makes them hot is oleoresin capsicum, or OC as it is known.

Richtee
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Actually when your Qing things tend to get less hot (example Jap peppers)

What I would do Lazy is take it up till it is almost too hot for you, then whatever that amount of extra hot was that you added double it!!!:msn-wink:

I have noticed this many times. My "go-to" rub is quite hot outta the jar...but the same folks who have tried it "raw" and said it's on the hot side never mention it after Q'ing. My theory is the dripping fat takes some of the capsasin with it, and mellows out what's left during the process... :shrug:

okie joe
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry about the wrong words

pepperine= blackpepper

Oleoresin Caspicum =hot chem in chili peppers
You missed the point...
Black pepper=cracked black pepper=ground black pepper or any chilis

Will break the inside of her mouth out in ulcerated sores (she is 31) so she is not a kid.
Serious reaction to peppers/black pepper she dont do any hot...not even table pepper...It wouldnt be funny so set someone for a majior hurt....:tap:
I know there are axx holes out so give it to them:wings:just as well I will fight for your right to be as Hot as you like it...but for me and my wife dont slip me some slice of Stupid Hot as a joke (thanks for the heads up on the salsa..at the lake..) and my running buddy loved the rooster booster.....what is not too hot.... is way to hot for some.my:twocents: and rich a little smittys goes a long way here man...but my buddy loves it thanks man.

SmokyOkie
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
:thumbs up:

1FUNVET
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I used to grow Hananeros. A word of caution,use rubber gloves handling them,especially cutting them. I found out the hard way by not using gloves and then taking a whiz:msn-wink:

They are hot enough to put a tear in a glass eye:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
It's a good idea to put them in the freezer for a few minutes before chopping as well IMHO.