PDA

View Full Version : Shall I enter?

donnylove
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
All you competition folks. I need some advice. I’m thinking about entering a local competition where something like 30 entrants are expected. There are five categories: 1) ribs; 2) pork butt; 3) brisket; 4) chicken; and 5) open. It costs $50 per category or $145 for all categories. I would probably enter for pork butt and ribs, because those are what I am most experienced and comfortable with. The way this thing is set up, you sell “taster” samples to the public for tokens, which can be purchased by the public for $1 each. At the end of the day, you turn in your tokens for $0.60 each. The rules recommend that each contestant bring 40 lbs of product per category and they also state that there are never enough samples for the crowd that shows up. Based on this, I figure I could easily break even and probably even make a little money vs. my entry fee, expenses, etc. My questions are:

1.) For the pork butt, how should it be served? Pulled? Sliced? What are the standards for presentation?

2.) Does pulled pork have to be served fresh or can it be re-heated for competition?

3.) What other tips can you give me?

Thanks!

Butt Lover's
06-05-2009, 04:14 PM
It has to be cooked on site. Most people around here serve pulled pork, but you can serve/turn in any style you want to.

The best tip I can give you is to practice your timing so you know exactly when everything will be done.

You should enter it, they are a ton of fun and you will not regret it.