PDA

View Full Version : Some Memorial Weekend Bird......

BrisketRex
05-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey all, haven't checked in for a long while. Hope to change that. Just wanted to share some bird with you all. I glazed with some blackberries and then had it with some buttery kale greens and some baby onions from the garden. Good stuff.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3558611060_9cc7fc221c.jpg

Joneser
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
That looks mouthwatering! Are the blackberries a reduction that you mop on? I'll bet that tasted good with the chicken. Never thought of that combination. Very Inventive.
BTW, Welcome back. I'm Joneser! I don't think we've met.

BYBBQ
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Good lookin' eats.:thumbs up:

BrisketRex
05-28-2009, 02:25 PM
That looks mouthwatering! Are the blackberries a reduction that you mop on? I'll bet that tasted good with the chicken. Never thought of that combination. Very Inventive.
BTW, Welcome back. I'm Joneser! I don't think we've met.

Howdy Joneser! Good to meet you. I bought some fresh berries and then into a sauce pan with some water and sugar. Then crushed them and simmered till it thickened up. Basted the bird for the last 30 mins or so. I like sweet with chicken, unless it's wings, then the hotter the better.
Thanks again.

Chargrilled
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Looks like that skin turned out good! Berry mop, MMMMMMMMM:drooling:. You mix any seasoning in with the mop?

What temps did you run that WSM at??

Like the greens too, we are jealous here in the Midwest!!!:tap:

BrisketRex
05-28-2009, 02:41 PM
The skin was nice and crispy. I actually did an indirect cook on the SJP with a small chunk of hickory. Very small chunk. Nothing in the glaze other than some sugar, though the berries were sweet enough on their own. I didn't monitor temps, but would say it was running around 300 or so. I had almost a full chimmney of coal in there and let it ash over before tossing the bird in. I buy as much kale as I can. My kids love em. Any green or veggie they love to eat.........we buy! :msn-wink:

californiasmokin
05-28-2009, 03:31 PM
:wow: That looks inviting.

I could dive into that!!

Welcome back!Keep it coming:thumbs up:

the_selling_blues_man
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
A blackberry glaze ............... Sound great. I will need to try that. Thanks for sharing.