PDA

View Full Version : Venison Bacon

donnylove
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Made a 10-lb batch of venison bacon over the weekend. Used a seasoning kit from Curley's Sausage Kitchen. It was really easy and it turned out great. Here's a couple pics. I sliced and sealed it last night, but I threw about 5 pieces on the grill along with a T-bone for dinner. Even my wife (who isn't a big fan of bacon :frusty:) thought it tasted pretty darn good.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/thedonald78/Picture002-2.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/thedonald78/Picture004-3.jpg

Chargrilled
05-27-2009, 02:01 PM
looks good, how was the flavor??

ya know last year the "meat man" good friend of mine tried this. He could never get it to work out:shrug:.

I didnt think it was bad myself but he quite doing it. I may have to give it a go and give him some to see what he thinks.

Curley's Sausage Kitchen, hummmmmmm have to look them up.

Joneser
05-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Looks good, I'd like to sample some, go ahead and send me a pound for evaluation. :D

SmokyOkie
05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Tell us about the process. I assume it's a restructured product?

Chargrilled
05-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Tell us about the process. I assume it's a restructured product?
My buddy fine grind and put into pan the width of bacon let it set in fridge over nite then dumped it out of the foil pan onto the smoker when the temps were right, I think he smoked it about 130 degrees.

JamesB
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
So it's kinda like bacon flavored venison meat loaf? Sounds very interesting.

donnylove
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Sorry, didn't realize anyone had responded. Weird how sometimes I get e-mail alerts about responses and sometimes not.

Chargrilled pretty much had it right. It's half ground pork (80/20) and half ground venison. I bought a kit from Curley's Sausage Kitchen that included seasoning and cure. Mixed in the ingredients and pressed it into 9x9 foild pans and let cure over night. 1 hour in the smoker at 130* with no smoke to dry it, 3 hours at 160* with hickory and apple, then up to 180* until the centers reached 155*. Back in the fridge to set up over night, then sliced and vacuum-sealed. Fries well, but also cooks very nicely on the grill since it is much more firm than normal bacon and won't curl. I didn't get any pics of the cooked product, mostly because I ate 4 of the 5 pieces immediately (I was generous enough to let my wife have one)!

Smelled and tasted very much like normal bacon, though the texture was obviously much different. Also, since it's half lean vension and half 80-20 pork, the fat content is much lower than for regular bacon. I was curious if anyone had ever tried subbing in turkey for the pork, so I e-mailed Curley's and asked them. The owner wrote me back and said that no one had tried it to his knowledge. Asked me to give it a go and let him know how it turns out!

SDJ1
06-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I like the sound of this donnylove :wow: one question though, you say you used ground pork, was there a certain ratio of fat with the pork or just plain fatty pork?? just askin coz Ive got a venison front leg in the freezer and want to make sure I get it right.

cheers Stevo

Bassman
06-21-2009, 06:37 AM
I'll be doing that one soon! I've been putting it off way too long.

donnylove
06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I like the sound of this donnylove :wow: one question though, you say you used ground pork, was there a certain ratio of fat with the pork or just plain fatty pork?? just askin coz Ive got a venison front leg in the freezer and want to make sure I get it right.

cheers Stevo

The pork I used was 20% fat. I just bought ground pork at the grocery store, but I'm sure you could get your butcher to make it with whatever fat content you like. Good stuff. Give it a shot.