PDA

View Full Version : Worm Composting

californiasmokin
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I used to have a "can of worms" composter and was curious if any of you folks use one or use worm castings to amend your soil.

You can also make a Tea with castings .

Joneser
05-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I saw casting compost on "Dirty Jobs" I didn't know anyone would want to drink it....

californiasmokin
05-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Not for drinking.For the plants:roflmaoha0:

http://vermica.com/compost/all_about_compost_tea.htm

Chargrilled
05-24-2009, 12:05 AM
i know where Brian was going:roflmaoha0:

Paul goin to get a lil diffy round here as worm are the norm not the extreme. :shrug:

Got the underground laser for worms that drive em outta the ground mid day with a elect prod. :msn-wink:

californiasmokin
05-24-2009, 10:34 AM
i know where Brian was going:roflmaoha0:

Paul goin to get a lil diffy round here as worm are the norm not the extreme. :shrug:

Got the underground laser for worms that drive em outta the ground mid day with a elect prod. :msn-wink:

Not really sure what you are saying:shrug:

Bought the composter at a sportsmans expo.Had the bright idea I was was gonna just lift the lid and grab some worms and go fishing.Like a lot of times in my case I didn't do my homework and ordered the wrong worms:roflmaoha0:
The temp are moderate so I just left it in the yard and threw some kitchen scrap newspaper etc in there.Had it for years.My wife mostly would just put a little bucket under the spicket and water her roses with it.
had a pretty good storm one year and the wind blew the lid away not really sure when they died.Only thought about it again because my son just did it for a science project and I had to help him.went online and found a man that lives a couple blocks from me that used to be a bread driver like me.Bought some castings from him for my sons project and talked with him a little.
Ships out 2 days a week and I think his said he grossed six figures.
I was just curious if anyone used them.

Butt Lover's
05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Worm castings are great for small gardens and worms in general are great for the soil because they aerify it naturally. Personally I am to lazy to do it, but it works for sure.

COB1
09-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I have been doing it for most of this summer. Have a catch under the tub that has the compost and worms and will water it down so often and catch the tea. Have put the tea on some maples I have transplanted and they have grown faster than the ones that I didn't give the tea to. Made the mistake over the holiday of putting fresh grass clippings in the compost and wet it down. Got to hot and killed my worms. Just started a new batch this monday..

californiasmokin
09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I never put yard waste or garden stuff in mine.Even after the lid blew away I just put a garbage can lid on it and still used it for years.It is still in the back :roflmaoha0:
They work fer sure though.They really don't take much effort.You just want to pace their food with their consumption or you will get bugs and slugs and such.

COB1
09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
My research said that grass clippings, leaves, and non-fatty foods from the kitchen, coffee grinds, and paper can be composted. Even lint and hair.. What I did was put in fresh cut grass that was still a bit damp with dew then wetted it down so it got way to hot. Lesson learned... Also I try and turn it every night to every other night. What I did was went and got two blue storage tubs from Dollar General drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in one and put the other underneath the worms and composte is in the top tub and the bottom tube is for a catch tub. Ran to Pets Mart and got some red wigglers and let them go to work..