PDA

View Full Version : Black walnut

matt4467
05-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey dont know if this is the right spot to post this but is black walnut a good wood to smoke with?

BA_LoKo
05-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Matt, while I haven't used black walnut, I do know that it is a hard wood. With that in mind, I'm sure it would work great. It's going to be slow burning and provide many BTU's, which is what you want. I would expect the flavor to be nice, too.

If I had it available here, I'd be looking forward to smoking with it!

matt4467
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
well im gpoing to go cut up a whole tree of it that fell over when hurricane Ike came through i was reading you had to mix it with other woods. i was just wondering if anyone else has used it and was it worth me going and getting it.

BA_LoKo
05-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Good idea. I'll be anxious to hear other people respond. My comments are based on the fact that it is a hardwood. I have NO experience with it.

BA_LoKo
05-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Did the people that responded indicate why you had to mix it with other wood? Was the flavor overpowering?

californiasmokin
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Matt, one of our other members posted this .Hope it helps.

Walnut is on the bottom.

http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=1360&highlight=Hard+woods

BA_LoKo
05-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Great find, Paul. I thought to search for that, but you got it covered!

cabinetmaker
05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I've never used it to smoke and probably never will, but I do use a lot of it in the old cabinetshoppe. The saw and sanding dust is very bitter tasting. Walnut has the most tannins of about any wood (tannins are what makes coffe black). When you cut the tree down, chew on a few of the saw chips and decide whether you would want your food to taste like it. My choice would be no!

Joneser
05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
That's some pretty good insight from a guy who works so much with wood!

Chargrilled
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM
strong and bitter man, you might want to try turning into lump coal and using as fuel. Or if the middle section is big enough you can sell it. Buddy o mine has sold a couple of nice pieces for some good coin.

for cabinet makin!!!:msn-wink:

cabinetmaker
05-22-2009, 08:18 AM
:whathesaid:A good size tree can fetch an easy grand at a local sawmill. Walnut is over $5.00 a board ft at my wholesale supplier.

SmokyOkie
05-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd take bids from the local sawmills. Quality walnut fetches big bucks in the lumber industry.

there are better woods to cook with IMHO.

jerry516planes
05-24-2009, 01:32 AM
I was told that black walnut was poisonous? I was also told that raw cucumbers that were not soaked in salt water would kill as well. The later I know is not true. Just Ma's way to keep us eating them out of the garden, so she could keep them for pickels.

Back on the farm we sold black walnut limbs for fire wood. I suggest that you sell the log as it is getting pretty rare and a good sized log can bring several hundred, especially if it is big enough for veneer. It is rare enough that some of the local saywers are digging up the stumps. The stumps do make some awsome wood with wonderful grain.

By al means try the rest!

I have not used black walnut for cooking, but have used english watnut. It was the best I ever had. We planted several english walnut trees in our orchard and one died so we used it. WOW!

Please post you experiences with this wood. I am iterested!! Good Luck!!

Old School BBQ
05-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes, I have smoked with Black Walnut. and yes i is a good wood,BUT,use it sparingly as it is a really strong smoke. I like it with wild game( it off -sets the gamieness).

I use maple or other light flavored wood with it, it does last, good for post wrap and for heat to finish a long cook.

Sorry it's a late reply as there's been trouble in fantasyland lately,but:
SMOKE HAPPY:)-
stan- bbqfans aka Old School BBQ

SmokyOkie
05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't know about you, but if the wild game appears "Gamy", I don't cook it or eat it, any more than I cook or eat fish that is "Fishy".

I do, however, cook and eat a fair amount of wild game.

Old School BBQ
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
No,I didn't mean that if it was a little spoiled,what I meant is,since I had to move to(yuk) Ohio, I have been getting the inlaws and locals here use to GOOD "QUE".LOL They just have a tendency to say that that good dark meat is too strong for them,so I cover it with a good heavy smoke...:D

Gotta do what ya gotta do:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
05-29-2009, 07:37 PM
:shrug: If it's strong, I don't cook it.