PDA

View Full Version : Fresh off the vine

BYBBQ
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Since this was our first fresh mater off the vine this year, I just had to use it right away.:woohoo:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202009/May/Misc/BLT/100_3554Small.jpg
The main players for tonight's dinner. Fried bacon, lettuce, and the fresh mater. Yep, we're building a BLT.:wings:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202009/May/Misc/BLT/100_3558Small.jpg
Lightly toasted slices of bread slathered with Mayo. Starting to layer the bacon.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202009/May/Misc/BLT/100_3562Small.jpg
layered with bacon

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202009/May/Misc/BLT/100_3566Small.jpg
added lettuce and a thick slice of mater.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Pictures%202009/May/Misc/BLT/100_3570Small.jpg
Ready to eat with a couple dill pickle spears. :drooling::drooling::wings:

Thanks for lookin':msn-wink:

BA_LoKo
05-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks great, Jim. You're way ahead of us down here on being able to harvest tomatoes. I've got several blooms, but no tomatoes yet.

You guys sure eat good!

californiasmokin
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Haven't had a BLT in a long time.

Thanks for the hunger pains:thumbs up:

Tomato looks good.

the_selling_blues_man
05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Good looking veggies. I transplanted my tomatoes tonight (all of 3" tall). I am harvesting spinich and lettuce and the snap peas are not far behind. How about a garden pic!

Joneser
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Mmmmm...I love a good BLT. We're doing some Romas and grape romas this year along with some Japs, Serrano, green and red peppers. Trying a Container/Pot garden instead of going with a full blown garden.

SmokyOkie
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Man! and we'll be the 4th of July before we get any. Can you grow them year round down there?

However, now begins the debate:

Does the bacon go against the bread, or should the lettuce, and what then for the tomato?

:stir:

BYBBQ
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Man! and we'll be the 4th of July before we get any. Can you grow them year round down there?

Yea, pretty much so where I'm at. It seldom gets below 40, so No worries about freezing. I usually start a couple plants at a time staggered out through the year.

Does the bacon go against the bread, or should the lettuce, and what then for the tomato?

I don't care what order you stack them on, just stack'um on so I can eat.:wings:

SmokyOkie
05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't care what order you stack them on, just stack'um on so I can eat.:wings:

Threadkiller!:tap::msn-wink:

Bassman
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
If I bring the sourdough bread, will there be enough maters?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/KeithLeiter/100_0627.jpg

SmokyOkie
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
If I bring the sourdough bread, will there be enough maters?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/KeithLeiter/100_0627.jpg

DOOD! I'm not a bread kinda guy, but that looks great! Almost as good as Jim's BLT.

Chargrilled
05-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Jim, man o man that looks great, havent even thought about maters, as the IN boys have already said were a fur piece off from havin any fresh!!!

Tim, I like to make em like Jim did, bacon against the bread, esp if Im packin a BLT for lunch. The bacon kinda holds the moisture from the veggies away from the bread (for awhile anyways) or you end up with a sogged out sammie!!!

:twocents:

peculiarmike
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
We all know no one really likes a show off, and this sits on the edge.
But that mater looks SO good! Geez Louise! :D

:drooling:

Those green/pink things passed off as tomatos in stores are the absolute WORST. How did we get to that?

Waiting patiently, watching them grow. :shrug:

jts70
05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I do not even have plants in the ground yet. Planting starts Memorial Day weekend up here! Had a hard frost just this Monday! Looks great , glad someone enjoying fresh tomatoes!!

Butt Lover's
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Awesome! I could live the rest of my life eating only BLT's and be happy!

BigDawgSmoker
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice BLT there Jim, and congrats on the first mater. :thumbs up:

I've got lots of small ones so far, but getting bigger everyday. Should have some cherrys soon. Peppers, squash, cukes, and eggplant are doing well. We've had cooler temps the last few nights but everything's doing ok.

Steve

gt2003
05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Glad to see someone gets to harvest already. I had big plans on putting in a full garden this year but starting from new with a new house gets expensive. I settled on some container tomatoes; roma and cherry's as well as one container with a mild variety of jalapenos. I can't wait until they're ready!

Siesta Man
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Tim, that thread about where to put the bacon and mater kinda sounds like---when you reload a roll of tp does the paper peel out over or under the roll.:shrug: Kidding aside, I like the tomato in the middle, between the bacon and lettuce on sourdough thats lightly toasted. Served with a portion of double fried skin fries, sweet pickeled jalapenos with a few bread and butter pickles along side. Don't forget the suds.:thumbs up: E.T.

Jim_K
05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice lookin sammich!

SmokyOkie
05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Tim, that thread about where to put the bacon and mater kinda sounds like---when you reload a roll of tp does the paper peel out over or under the roll.:shrug: Kidding aside, I like the tomato in the middle, between the bacon and lettuce on sourdough thats lightly toasted. Served with a portion of double fried skin fries, sweet pickeled jalapenos with a few bread and butter pickles along side. Don't forget the suds.:thumbs up: E.T.

What's a skin fry?

Siesta Man
05-26-2009, 06:55 AM
What's a skin fry?

French fries with the skins on. :blushing:E.T.

SmokyOkie
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
French fries with the skins on. :blushing:E.T.

Sorry ET. I guess I forgot that some folks cut the skin off their fries.:blushing:

Siesta Man
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Sorry ET. I guess I forgot that some folks cut the skin off their fries.:blushing:

No problem Tim. While i've got your attention, have you ever had your digital therm. freeze up on you during a cook? Happened to me yesterday. Put a brisket on just like always and the temp. increased just like normal and plateaued @ 141* for the longest time. Finally pulled everything and opened the foil. Just in time. Almost had burnt offerings. Found out I had a weak battery and I changed it in Jan. same time I change all smoke alarm batts. Good dates, Feb. 2013. Go figure. Will have to relace batts for each cook. :tap: E.T.

SmokyOkie
05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
For everyone's info, what brand of thermo ( so that others will know to expect that) and what brand battery?

IMHO it is a design flaw for the display to just freeze when the battery is low. The reason is precisely what you experienced. A good design would sound an audible alarm to alert you and the go blank or at least display and alert.

That's kinda like th Maverick ET-73. When you go out of range, the display continues reading the same and never alerts you that you have gone out of range. That can really screw up a cook (as you have found).

BYBBQ
05-27-2009, 12:31 PM
It could even be the brand of batteries you are using. I have a NU-Temp 701 and I had problems similar to what you are having. Called them about it and they told me it was the brand of batteries I was using. They then told me to look in the instructions and sure enough it was printed in the booklet about using Duracell batteries. I then found out there are quite a few items that don't like Duracell batteries. It seems that the contact bump on the positive end of their batteries is a little shorter than other brands and will sometimes not make the right contact all the time. Changed them to Energizer batteries and the problems cleared up.

Siesta Man
05-27-2009, 02:24 PM
For everyone's info, what brand of thermo ( so that others will know to expect that) and what brand battery?

IMHO it is a design flaw for the display to just freeze when the battery is low. The reason is precisely what you experienced. A good design would sound an audible alarm to alert you and the go blank or at least display and alert.

That's kinda like th Maverick ET-73. When you go out of range, the display continues reading the same and never alerts you that you have gone out of range. That can really screw up a cook (as you have found).

Hi Tim, The therm is a Acu-Rite and its been working dead on for the last year( tested with boiling water in pan). I changed the batteries in Jan. but only checked the pkg. not the batteries themselves.:oops: You wana guess??? Somebody "probably me" put the Duracells back into the carton and I just grabed them in a hurry and into the Acu-Rite. Later inspection:censored2: revealed
they were dated March--09 DUH!!!:smack: I guess that the moral of the story is that I should check both ends of the dynamite stick before lighting itD@. Will try the therm on another cook along with a second one ( different brand), with new batteries, 2015, and see how she goes.
Thanks for the feed back folks and will keep you posted on the next cook, no finished pics of the last one. Everybody was impatient for their food. Have a few from the begining and will post soon. E.T.