PDA

View Full Version : CG Temp Problems

rhmclay
05-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I have the Char Griller Super Pro with the SFB and I am having some serious temparture issues when smoking. I have added the chimney and baffle mods, but I can not get the temperature above 175 - 200. In addition I have added 2 thermometers at grate level on each side of the main section, and this is how I am reading my temps.

I have the chimney wide open and the SFB damper wide open too. Any suggestions or advice? I have tried regular charcoal, lump charcoal, etc... The only time I have gotten it above 200 was when I added 4 chunks of hickory, unsoaked, and when they caught fire the temp went to just above 250.

Oh by the way, great forum....

Joneser
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks on the Great Forum comment and Welcome to the Joint.
Sounds like quite a problem you have there. First thing I'd check is if you are getting good draft over and under your fire basket. If you don't have a basket, I'd either make or buy one. That is one big problem with CG.
Just this past weekend, I did some Baby Backs on mine. I filled my basket (a rectangular shaker basket BedBathBeyond) with Kingsford and dumped about 1/2 a chimney of lit on top. Came right up and stayed there for a few hours.
I gotta ask....did you remove the plate between the SFB and the grilling area? Please don't be insulted by my asking, you'd be surprised.

tsunami_tommy
05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree with Joneser...

I've had the same problem. The best solution I found was when a friend (chargrilled) gave me a charcoal basket. It soon wore out (about 5 burns) and I haven't replaced it yet. Long story short that IS key....at least in my experience. As a temperary fix I have used the charcoal grate of the SFB turned upsidedown and that does allow some air to circulate under the hot coals. I've never tried tuning plates i.e. baffles.

rhmclay
05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Joneser,

I did remove that plate, and no I am not insulted ;-)

What is a shaker basket???? I bought some expanded metal and tried to fit it in where the grill grates go in SFB, making it a little wider and longer, so that I could bend it down some, but it fell in on the charcoal grate. I assumed it had something to do with the air going over the coals as opposed to under/through them.

When you bought your charcoal basket did you just put it where the charcoal tray used to be?

Thanks in advance

tsunami_tommy
05-13-2009, 08:22 PM
check out this thread...
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575&highlight=chargriller+mods

tsunami_tommy
05-13-2009, 08:25 PM
also see here....

http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll418/tsunami_tommy/chargrillermodfirebox.jpg

alright I'm done sorry for hijacking the thread.

Joneser
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
That's what you need....Mine is just one from BB&B.
Something like this
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/380/7899215073527P.JPG
I only gave about $20 for it....I can't find the exact one, but it's close.
The one Tommy posted is the ideal solution.
Mine sits on the grate, I think his allows you to slide the tray out without taking the basket out.

rhmclay
05-13-2009, 08:59 PM
tsunami_tommy,

You haven't' hijacked the thread. This is exactly what I am looking for. Did you make that charcoal basket? Do you have instrucitons on it or something? Is it just sitting on the grill grates? It's had to tell.

That was an interesting thread you linked too, but it didn't really say how to make one, where you can slide out the ash tray (which would be really invaluable for those long 10 hour smokes).

BA_LoKo
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
rmhclay, where 'bouts are you? We're glad you're here! Be sure and stop by the "come in and sit down" forum. We'd love to know more about you.

rhmclay
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I am from Michigan. I will make that my next stop. I smoked some butt this last weekend, it turned out really really good, but just had issues with the temp, so had to continually watch the guage, and continually add charcoal, even though I hada lot of charcoal in there before adding a chimney fulll of ashed over briquettes.

Joneser
05-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Take a look here for some Ideas on basket design, PigCicles really did a great job on his and even made a template drawing for it.
Click Me (http://theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586&highlight=Fire+Basket)

olewarthog
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
A lot of folks with CGs use this shaker basket from Lowes as a charcoal basket.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188821-451-4984108

SmokyOkie
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
While it won't improve your burn time, if you raise the grate level up to the level that the grilling grate for the SFB are at, you shouldn't have any trouble attaining the temps you want plus some.

Also, if you invert the ash catcher tray in the oven chamber and suspend it just above the firebox inlet, you will have extremely even temps across the whole oven.

Geek with Fire
05-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Here's the one I use. I wanted longer smoke times, so opted for the largest shape that would fit through the opening and maximize space in the box. Make sure you seal the firebox well, as if you get too much ventilation when the basket is full, you will have a smelter on your hands.

I can't remember the exact details, but it was less than $15.00; got everything from my local Ace Hardware: 1 sheet Stainless expanded metal (25x25, I think). (4) sets of 3/8" hex head bolts, flat washers and nuts.

While the basket is cheap and easy, I will add that cutting stainless is not easy. I had a nice set of bolt cutters, but a hack saw would work, and end cutters will not. It's also a good idea to wear at least gloves, but long sleeves aren't a bad idea. Working with this stuff is like juggling razor blades. But, the stainless is needed to handle the heat.
I won't go too deep into assembly details because you folks are smart and it really isn't that complicated. I just cut the sheet in half, and then cut one of the halves into 2 additional halves. Nearly the entire sheet is used to maximize volume. I then stitch it up with cheap electric fence wire (also known around my house as "chevrolet wire"), bending as you go along. I stitched the 4 corners first to get the bend and the dimensions set, then add the remaining stitches. Finally, mount the bolts out the bottom.

As you can see from the photos, it allows for about 2 inches on all sides for good ventilation. It fits like a glove through the opening and holds nearly an entire bag of Royal Oak Lump.

Basket view
http://www.geekwithfire.com/img/cgbasket/0601.jpg

Looking into the firebox (don't give me any crap about the rusthttp://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/images/smilies/PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif )
http://www.geekwithfire.com/img/cgbasket/0602.jpg

Front View. About as tall as you can get and still fit through the firebox opening.
http://www.geekwithfire.com/img/cgbasket/0603.jpg

SmokyOkie
05-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Tell us about the mod on the firebox intake Josh.

nascarchuck
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't want to venture too far away from the original topic, but How long are you guys getting on a load of charcoal in your CG'S?

I don't have a basket, although I do need to make one. I am getting 4 hours on a burn then it's dead. I realize that the ashes are smothering it.

Since I built my drum, I haven't even lit the CG except to grill, but would like to try it again.

Joneser
05-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Chuck, I get about that with a full basket and 1/4 to 1/2 lit on top. Not super efficient gizmos....

SmokyOkie
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Chuck, I get about that with a full basket and 1/4 to 1/2 lit on top. Not super efficient gizmos....

Yeah, but they're a good bang for the buck.

4 hours of 250 is incredible for a CG IMHO.:thumbs up:

nascarchuck
05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, but they're a good bang for the buck.

4 hours of 250 is incredible for a CG IMHO.:thumbs up:

Guess that I'm spoiled by the drum! :roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
05-15-2009, 09:28 AM
A lot of folks with CGs use this shaker basket from Lowes as a charcoal basket.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=188821-451-4984108

That is exactly what I modded and gave to tommy. I believe it rested on two bolts that penatrated through the back and then I wedged it down next to the opening of the SFB. This was of course before I had a buddy weld up a nice SS expando one like Joshs. As Okie and tommy stated you gotta get that fire above the top of the air intake in the SFB, that is the key to drafting. Also, wind is a CG killer, get behind a break or point that SFB into the wind.

Another thing, keep up the research but sometime ya gotta tinker with her pending on your location/situation. You will get it, and with that unit you are going to HAVE TO tend it. I recommend lining up a full cooler full of your choice before liting that pit!!!:msn-wink:

rhmclay
05-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all great ideas and info. I will keep up the search and modifications.

Geek with Fire
05-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Tell us about the mod on the firebox intake Josh.

Sorry Tim, I missed your post the other day. This is my redneck extension tube for the control system. I've tried several other "prettier" methods, but they are too heavy. The $1.50 paint can's from Lowe's seem to do the trick.

rhmclay
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
OK Everyone,

I raised the grate in the SFB and done all the other mods, except I haven't added the shaker basket. I bought one, but wanted to see if the other mods were going to help. I started up the CG and haven't been able to get the temp above 200 degrees.

So I guess my question is, will putting the charcoal in the basket really help to get the temps above 200? And if so, please explain it to me. Is it because it will all be packed together, as opposed to spread out?

I mean I thought if I got the charcoal above the inlet for the SFB I would get some high heat and actually have to use the damper to close off some air.

Thanks,

Rob

PigCicles
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Forgive me for asking this question of you ... you are closing the sfb door aren't you??

If you are then maybe try cracking it a little bit - say a quarter or half inch to see if that brings temps up. If it does then you still have air flow problems and you will want to try the basket. Another possible thing to try is to crack open the ash door just a bit.

There is no reason that your temps should be so low. Without looking back through the thread again. Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy?

tsunami_tommy
05-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry Tim, I missed your post the other day. This is my redneck extension tube for the control system. I've tried several other "prettier" methods, but they are too heavy. The $1.50 paint can's from Lowe's seem to do the trick.

Josh,

Can you further explain the benefit of that extention tube, I don't think I get it yet.

Forgive me for asking this question of you ... you are closing the sfb door aren't you??

If you are then maybe try cracking it a little bit - say a quarter or half inch to see if that brings temps up. If it does then you still have air flow problems and you will want to try the basket. Another possible thing to try is to crack open the ash door just a bit.

There is no reason that your temps should be so low. Without looking back through the thread again. Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy?

I agree...there's got to be an airflow problem. Maybe this has already been stated. Have you extended your chimney down to grate level with an expandable dryer duct? That helped me quite a bit. Sorry if I didn't catch that mod earlier in the thread.

SmokyOkie
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
OK Everyone,

I raised the grate in the SFB and done all the other mods, except I haven't added the shaker basket. I bought one, but wanted to see if the other mods were going to help. I started up the CG and haven't been able to get the temp above 200 degrees.

So I guess my question is, will putting the charcoal in the basket really help to get the temps above 200? And if so, please explain it to me. Is it because it will all be packed together, as opposed to spread out?

I mean I thought if I got the charcoal above the inlet for the SFB I would get some high heat and actually have to use the damper to close off some air.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, there is something going on here that someone is missing somehow. I think that in order to really be of any more help, we might need to see some pix of what you 've got going on.

If you build your fire on what is supposed to be the cooking grate of the SFB, you should have absolutely no trouble gettin up to 325 or even higher.

Why don't you get us a few pix posted and stand by. We will get you up and running.

Geek with Fire
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
[quote=tsunami_tommy;40771]Josh,

Can you further explain the benefit of that extention tube, I don't think I get it yet.

quote]

I built a control system that has a blower fan and servo damper to control the temperature. The tube just keeps the expensive components away from the heat of the firebox.

http://www.geekwithfire.com/Portals/0/2700.jpg

Go here for more, if you are interested:
www.geekwithfire.com (http://www.geekwithfire.com)

Chargrilled
05-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Check out this recent (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3284) thread, good example of the insulation possibilities!

lazy
05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Clay--I haven't been checking the site daily and have missed your post. Looks like you're getting some good advice from the more-experienced folks.

For what it's worth, I picked up a Duo this spring and have been learning my way around it, dealing with issues like yours, and more. The basket mod is a winner. Mine is just a 24" square of 3/4" expanded metal, cut a 6X6 square off of each corner, then fold it up. I just used an old Workmate and a hammer to bend it and (sorta) square it up. Didn't bother bolting, wiring it together, just bent it a bit extra, and it seems to hold it's shape. What I didn't see mentioned (and I didn't follow all the links given, so it may already be here), is to raise the basket up in the SFB. I used part of a grate from my old gasser. Cut it about 13 1/2 inches long, and dropped it into the SFB. The charcoal basket sits on it, just above the ash drawer. I shake the basket when temps start to drop, to knock any ashes out that haven't dropped on their own. You can run two bolts into each of two opposing sides on your basket to "hang" it on the sides of the SFB and accomplish the same thing.

I also have noticed that changing the orientation of the the unit based on wind direction can make a difference.

Somebody mentioned thermometers. My factory 'meter was only off about 25 degrees. I have read of guys finding them up to 100 degrees off in comparison to tmeters added at grate level.

Chimney full open at all times. Adjust temp with round vent on end of SFB.

I didn't see you mention what you were burning. Chunk or briquettes?

Most of us use foil (referred to somewhere as the CG owner's ductape) to fill in the gap between the lid of the cooking chamber and the bottom portion.

Are you losing heat between the SFB and cooking chamber? I used high-temp silicone when I put my first one on. Lasted a couple of sessions, then started cracking and breaking up. On the replacement unit (CG sent a new one--original had build quality of something I would make. Scary!!) I got a strip of flat gasket for a wood stove and put between the box and cooking chamber. No more heat loss there.

Good luck! Learning these things is half the fun. I think we're all frustrated hot-rodders--guv'ment gots our cars so modernized with pollution/EPA/MPG crap we can't work on them any more, so we need an outlet to practice our "improving". The CG stuff is perfect for that...

And remember--it ain't rocket science. Keep playing with it until you find out what works for you and your CG. And be prepared for somebody else to tell you that it won't work that way:msn-wink:. That's what's so neat about this hobby--no real right or wrong way.

rhmclay
05-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Smoky and everyone,

I appreciate all the help. I will go out and get some pictures and get them posted up, if there isn't a post limit before you can do that sort of thing here.

I can tell you I removed the fire grates on the SFB and put in expanded metal at the same height, and this is where I put the charcoal - but not in the shaker basket. In addition, I have the expandable drier vent from the stack down to the grate level in the main box. I also put a 18in x 12 in piece of steel, in the main box, as a deflector, so that that end of the main box doesn't get too hot, compared to the other side - to even out temps.

Mondays temps got as high as 225, with box the stack and side damper completely open, and not touching anything, but that is the hottest it ever got.

I will get some pics up soon. I really do appreciate all the help everyone is giving me.

Rob

cabinetmaker
05-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Rob, have you tried burning cut wood instead of charcoal? I can easily get 350 degree temps in my smokin pro with 16" split logs. I have only used lump in my CG once, so I have really nothing to compare with. I start a good fire with the door open (firebox), and hold a steady 225 with intake and exhaust both open about 3/8". My fire grate is high enough to remove the ash tray for dumping during the burn. It makes a world of difference. That fire has got to breathe, and it can't do it with the ash tray full.

SmokyOkie
05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
You've got to get the fire grate up almost even with the opening of the door of the SFB. It's a design flaw in the CG, but if you want high temps, you will need to.

leave the stack wide open. Also, if you don't like having the stack extension hanging down by the grate, you can just invert the ash pan in the oven section and hang it on the high level. It will act as a damper for the whole oven. You'll also want to take the plate out if you do that.

rhmclay
07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Smoky,

Sorry about the delay in the post, but I have had some family issues as of late. To let you know. I did the mods that I talked about, putting expanded metal in the SFB bringing it up to almost the top of the side drawer, to the middle of the side vent. That didn't allow me to get much above 200 - 225. Next I added the Shaker Basket on top of that grate, and used it for the 4th, and that didn't allow me to get above 200.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the charcoal. What I do is start a chimney of charcoal, and then I dumped in unlit charcoal into the shaker basket. After the Chimney started and ashed over I dumped on top of the unlit.

Do I not have enough height for the expanded metal?

I did a brisket and pulled pork for the 4th. I turned out fabulous, but it took a lot longer because I had trouble even keeping it at 200. I am worried that with it being so low, and it having to be on there longer that the food may dry out.

Thanks Again everyone. I have been learning so much. I am probably going to have to start to search for a 50 gal drum in the Michigan area. Maybe I will try to build a UDS.

Rob

olewarthog
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
rhmclay,

You really need the shaker basket mounted high enough you can open the ash drawer without moving the basket. Also, I cannot tell from the pics, but the football shaped piece is removed from both the SFB & the main cooking chamber. In other words, there should be a large football shaped opening between the two chambers. I use the same shaker basket. I fill it with unlit briquettes & only add about a half a small chimney of lit to the front left corner of the basket as it sits in the SFB. Once it gets up to temp, I will close the SFB vent down to only about 1/4" open & temps will hold steady between 220-230. If I open the vent up about half way, my temps will climb past 250. Here pics of my basket before & after I dump in the lit.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9507/hpim0451s.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4235/hpim0422.jpg

Chargrilled
07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Pigcicles mentioned crackin open the sfb door a 1/4 to 1/2" during your burn to see what happens to the temps, try that I seem to remember that helping as the CG has air flow probs. Another thing to try is a fan blowing into the sfb intake. I just took a box fan, set it on low and had it blow into the sfb and that helped also. On that shaker basket, if you cut the wire "handles" off you should be able to put that basket into the sfb and "suspend" it from the bolts that come through the box. That will get it elevated even more. You can still "feed" your fuel source and clean out your ash tray.

We'll keep workin on this for ya, take some pics with your pit actually under heat, that may help with the problem solving also.

PS remember to keep that unit out of high winds also, that will kill your heat. Should be that bad in the summer though:shrug:.

rhmclay
07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Olewarthog,

I do have the football pieces of metal removed from both. It's actually hard to tell from your picture, but my shaker basket might even be higher than yours. The bottom of the shaker basket is at the middle, or just above the middle, of the side vent opening. I do have it high enough to slide the ash drawer out. That is why I put the expanded metal in. The first thought was to put all the charcoal on that, and then the ash would fall through to the ash drawer and I would be able to remove the ash drawer while the fire is still going. I can't even close my damper, because I can't even get it above 225.

Chargrilled,

I forgot to mention that I did use pigcicles recommendation of opening the ash drawer a bit. (Did he mean the door or the ash drawer? I did the ash drawer). I am not sure if it was that or a combination of the higher expanded metal and that, but that is the hottest I have gotten it. Between 225 and 250. The weird thing is I tried that on the 4th, with the shaker basket and it didn't seem to help. I will try the fan next time though.

I had a perfect day - almost no wind. Like I said food turned out great, just worried about drying out because of the extra time needed. I will try and take some pics with the thing lit. What I didn't do was place the unlit to one side and the lit on the other. I just dumped the lit all on top of the unlit.

Rob

SmokyOkie
07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Rob, I can't speak to charcoal baskets because I've never used one in a CG.

What I can speak to is starting off with a chimney of c'coal and adding short splits ('minilogs', prolly 12" long or so) to it as it cooks.

I'm looking at the angle iron ledges in you pic, and what we do is to put the cooking grate that came with the SFB on those and build the fire on it so that the inlet damper is totally below the fire.

Once again, we never did a stack extension. Instead, we inverted the ash pan in the oven chamber and hung ut at the level wher it diverted the heat coming into the oven.

I will say this though, if you want to use the stack extension, it would prolly work better if it were in the center of the unit, and not one side or the other.

olewarthog
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Olewarthog,

I do have the football pieces of metal removed from both. It's actually hard to tell from your picture, but my shaker basket might even be higher than yours. The bottom of the shaker basket is at the middle, or just above the middle, of the side vent opening. I do have it high enough to slide the ash drawer out. That is why I put the expanded metal in. The first thought was to put all the charcoal on that, and then the ash would fall through to the ash drawer and I would be able to remove the ash drawer while the fire is still going. I can't even close my damper, because I can't even get it above 225.

I guess it was the angle of the pic, but the one with the drawer opened looked like the expanded metal was sliding out with the drawer. The top of my basket is pretty much even with the top of the football opening. In fact, the U shaped end piece is resting in the top bolts that holds SFB onto the MC. The side vent is almost completely below my basket.

Once I dump my lit charcoal into the basket, I will pull the drawer open a couple of inches. I have two digital probe therms at grate level. When I see the chamber temps go over 200, I close the drawer & close the side vent down to about 1/4". The temps soon stablize between 220-230. Depending on the wind, I make minor vent adjustments from there.

rhmclay
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
My expanded metal is curved slightly downward. That was the only way I could get it in there. I will try to straighten it out some, to see if I can get the bottom of the basket to the top of the side vent.

Once I dump my lit charcoal into the basket, I will pull the drawer open a couple of inches. I have two digital probe therms at grate level. When I see the chamber temps go over 200, I close the drawer & close the side vent down to about 1/4". The temps soon stablize between 220-230. Depending on the wind, I make minor vent adjustments from there.

Olewarthog, I will try this and see if this will help.

I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. This is a great forum.

Rob

SmokyOkie
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
That's why we're here. Glad you like it here. learn what you can and always share it with others. That's our unofficial motto.

stevemiller
08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I am the proud owner of a cg pro also with low heat. I have extended the stack to the grate,made a shaker basket and i just put bolts under the basket to raise it up 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. Tonight i gave it a test run with a new thermometer and charcoal. It became evident right off the bat that the charcoal had too much powder in it and it sparked lots. My temp went up to about 170 and started back down.i then added k hickory briquets and opened the ash door.the temp shot up to 250. When i closed the door it went down to 190. I should mention that this temp jump happened after the charcoal got shook most of the way out of the basket and the briquets got going. I do not think i get enough air through the vent and the charcoal stops the air from getting to the flame. So i have sworn off charcoal and raised the basket to almost the same as the cooking grate that you get with the pro. Will try again tomorrow. I need to thank everyone on this thread. I thought i was the only one to have this heat problem. I have been in the bushes looking for the smoking gun.well i have now decided to put my experiences in the pot. I am very new at this and love all the help that everyone gives

BluDawg
08-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Ok Steve, another piece of the puzzle. Now I know what to tell you. Cut yourself 3 pieces of angle iron 13" long and put them in your fire box,that will put the bottom of your basket at the center of the intake allowing for proper air flow. Next take the cast cooking grates that came in the fire box and put them in the cook chamber and turn the charcoal tray up side down on top of them and slide it up tight to the fie box opening. This will eliminate scorching and move the heat toward the stack. Using the minion method with a mix of lump and wood chunks, it should be up to temp at the cooking grate in about 20-30 min. temp. should be 220-250, If it will hold 250 you will be fine. I open my intake wide open then when I hit 200 i close it to 1/4 open and it settles out 220-230
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/PHOT0058.jpg

SmokyOkie
08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
:whathesaid:

So i have sworn off charcoal and raised the basket to almost the same as the cooking grate that you get with the pro.

That's what I was trying to say. The design of the CG doesn't put the fire in the line of the airflow. You have to elevate the fire to just about the level of the opening of the SFB door.

You can use the SFB grates in the cooking chamber, or simply invert the ash pan and hang it at the height that puts it just above the inlet into the cooking chamber, and that serves as an excellent baffle.

stevemiller
08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
While it won't improve your burn time, if you raise the grate level up to the level that the grilling grate for the SFB are at, you shouldn't have any trouble attaining the temps you want plus some.

Also, if you invert the ash catcher tray in the oven chamber and suspend it just above the firebox inlet, you will have extremely even temps across the whole oven.
:whathesaid:I PULLED THE INSIDE EXTENCION OFF ALSO WITH THIS MOD. BUT I HAVE A 2 FT EXT ON OUTSIDE