PDA

View Full Version : Apple City Spare Ribs

Kew_el_steve
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
About this time of the week I start asking myself what I want to smoke up for the weekend. I can't take credit for this one, but it is absolutely great. I usually buy a cryopac of three racks at Sam's and have been making this one more often than not.

This was originally from a book "Smoke and Spice" - Cheryl Alters Jamison & Bill Jamison. The original recipe is for Baby Backs and I thought that the quantities were a little off, so I fixed the quantities and modified it for spares. This assumes that you know how to trim spares and remove the membrane. The original recipe verbatim can be found at: http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/pork/ribs.htm

My clone (having a hell of a time with this editor):

Apple City Spare Ribs
Cheryl's Cider Soak
· 3 cups apple cider -- or juice
· 1-1/2 cup cider vinegar
· 1 medium onion -- minced
· 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
· 2 Tablespoons oil
· 2 teaspoons dried thyme
· 3 slabs Pork Spare ribs
Apple Rib Rub
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 8 teaspoons onion powder
· 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
· 2 teaspoons dry mustard
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Apple Rib Spritz
· 1 1/2 cups apple cider -- or juice
· 1/2 cup cider vinegar
· 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Apple City Sauce
· 2 Tablespoons butter
· 1/2 medium onion -- minced
· 1-1/2 cups apple juice -- or cider
· 1 Tablespoon dark molasses -- unsulphured
· 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
· 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
· 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
· 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
Wood: 2/3 Maple or Oak, 1/3 Hickory

The night before you plan to barbecue, combine the soak ingredients in a large lidded jar. Place the slabs of ribs in a plastic bag or shallow dish and pour the marinade over the ribs. Refrigerate them overnight.
Remove the ribs from the refrigerator, drain, rinse, and pat dry, discarding the marinade. In a bowl, mix together the dry rub ingredients. Lightly coat the ribs with plain yellow mustard. Pat the ribs with the rub mixture. Let the ribs sit at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes.

Mix the spritz and put in a spray bottle. Keep refrigerated.
Smoke at 225 for 3 hours.
Place in a doubled aluminum hotel pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the spritz. Cover and bake the pan at 250 for 2 hours.
Finish on the grill with the sauce.
The Sauce: In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a couple of minutes, until onion is softened. Mix in the remaining ingredients, and cook the mixture until it reduces by about one-quarter, approximately 30 minutes. Stir frequently. At the end of the cook, put in a blender and liquefy. Refrigerate until ready for use.

TX Sandman
01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Looks interesting, Steve. How many slabs is it good for?

bigsmoke
01-17-2008, 12:55 AM
This looks like something to try. How do you think the spritz would be with some Capt. Morgan's Spiced Rum in it? Just a crazy thought. :rolleyes:

Kew_el_steve
01-17-2008, 04:42 AM
Sandman: at the end of the soak it list three racks.
Smoke: I would just try it the way it is; this is unlike any ribs you've ever had; no hype. They are great.

crewdawg52
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Sounds good, and bet it's great eatin.... but an awful lot of ingredients. Just my 2 cts worth.....keep it simple.

SmokyOkie
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Can you taste the cumin from the chili powder in the sauce when its done?

It does sound like an awful lot of work, but considering the source of the kudos, I guess I'll have to try it sometime.

TX Sandman
01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Sandman: at the end of the soak it list three racks.

:oNow why didn't I see that? Thanks.