PDA

View Full Version : A few pics of Buela

Short One
05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Some folks have shown an interest in how Buela was put together. She was my first build and I would probably change a few things, but over all she works fine and is very efficient as the ones that have been around her can tell you. She is made out of an old fuel oil barrel which is 61" X 38". She has an internal firebox which is centered. The fire box is 15" wide and 12" tall with 2-6" diameter tubes on each side to carry the smoke and heat to the ends of the barrel. The air intake is a simple 2 door slide which opens an 8" X 2 1/4" opening. The exhaust is a piece of 6" tube with a damper.

When building Buela, I used a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade to cut the openings. I had another barrel which I had cut up for a burn barrel so when I cut the doors I cut pieces to hook to each end of the doors to help them hold their shape. I removed the section from between the doors and cut a piece of the barrel which was larger by about an inch all the way around and welded it inside the barrel to hold the center of the barrel in position and mounted my therm in it. I got a stainless piano hinge and cut it the length of each door and welded it in place. I then took strips of the other barrel and place on the outer ends of the doors to act as a seal, and placed a small angle across the bottom of each door for rigidity.

Inside the tubes run to the ends of the barrel, with dampers installed-externally control. I used expanded metal for a grate and supported it with angles. I cut the grate in four sections so they can be removed an pressure washed and also pressure wash the inside of the barrel. By the way, the barrel is placed so the fill bung is on the bottom and acts as the drain. I also left the firebox a couple inches from the bottom of the barrel so when washing all can drain to the bung. The only problems I have are hot spots at both ends and over the firebox. If making another I would leave as much room as possible between box and grates. I have a large water pan I some times place over the firebox on the grate because I don't have room under the grate.

Hope this helps those that wanted to know about Buela, and ask if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.

the_selling_blues_man
05-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Looking good - Let see some Q-View pics.........

peculiarmike
05-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Buela! Buela Buela Buela..........................
Personal friend of mine. I smelled fine cherry smoke before I ever saw her when we first met, won't forget that. Then had some great cherry smoked ribs she produced. I was hooked.
She turns out some mighty fine eats.
She can hang out in my yard any time. :msn-wink:

:thumbs up:

Short One
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks Mike. With all your toys she wouldn't be lonely. Pigcicles says she could come visit him any time also. Thanks.

Short One
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Looking good - Let see some Q-View pics.........
Blues man, here are some pics from old cooks to satisfy your appitite for Q-view. You could do a search for my threads and any pics that are there came off Buela.

Loins, butts, burgers, and ribs.

BigAL
05-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Very nice Steve, very nice.:thumbs up:

Joneser
05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
I like the integrated firebox. Looks like a top notch design. Efficent.

Short One
05-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Very nice Steve, very nice.:thumbs up:
Thanks Al. It gets the results we like.

Short One
05-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I like the integrated firebox. Looks like a top notch design. Efficent.
Brian, Buela is very efficient, just a couple of splits every half hour or so. She just has a real HOT spot over the firebox.

PigCicles
05-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Buela! Buela Buela Buela..........................
Personal friend of mine. I smelled fine cherry smoke before I ever saw her when we first met, won't forget that. Then had some great cherry smoked ribs she produced. I was hooked.
She turns out some mighty fine eats.
She can hang out in my yard any time. :msn-wink:

:thumbs up:

Keep yer grubby paws away from her Mike... she wants to come to my house. :msn-wink:

Steve she needs some new make up. She's getting a touch rusty. I knew I loved her more than you.

californiasmokin
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Steve,
Just found all these pictures of Buela!!!

Thank You!!

PigCicles
09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
She's still mine Paul. Don't go gettin touchy feely with her :msn-wink:

californiasmokin
09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
She's still mine Paul. Don't go gettin touchy feely with her :msn-wink:

I guess you didn't notice the way we bonded at the gathering!She likes me better!!!:roflmaoha0:
Said she liked working with virgins and was looking forward to giving me plenty of lessons next year!!!

PigCicles
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Tell him Steve ... she's using him for his mad skillz.

She loves me and you can't have her. She's moving here next year.

SmokyOkie
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Why not, he just gave away one of his favorite girls.:shrug:

Short One
09-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I guess you didn't notice the way we bonded at the gathering!She likes me better!!!:roflmaoha0:
Said she liked working with virgins and was looking forward to giving me plenty of lessons next year!!!

Tell him Steve ... she's using him for his mad skillz.

She loves me and you can't have her. She's moving here next year.:roflmaoha0:Now fellas, why you gotta be like that. Buela is just too easy, and if someone (me) doesn't do a little corrective surgery on her heat tubes she may not be in shape to make another gathering. Sounds like a winter project to me, Just haven't figured out whether to replace her box and tubes or just give her new tubes and hope for the best.:blushing::tap:

P.S. Joe, Rhonda wants to know when the addition will be done so she can start packing. She is also wondering if the in ground pool will be finished by the time her and Buela come down and she wants to pick the color of her new Lexus.

PigCicles
09-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Man! That's high maintenance right there. LOL :thumbs up: :roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
09-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Steve I can never get enough of that beauty.

Stay away PigCicles she is comin to Indiana in due time!!!

I will even paint er up a lil bit.....................eventually:roflmaoha0:

Great shots!!! She has but out all kinds of lovin all over town!!!

Chargrilled
09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
P.S. Joe, Rhonda wants to know when the addition will be done so she can start packing. She is also wondering if the in ground pool will be finished by the time her and Buela come down and she wants to pick the color of her new Lexus.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
09-14-2009, 10:10 AM
:roflmaoha0:Now fellas, why you gotta be like that. Buela is just too easy, and if someone (me) doesn't do a little corrective surgery on her heat tubes she may not be in shape to make another gathering. Sounds like a winter project to me, Just haven't figured out whether to replace her box and tubes or just give her new tubes and hope for the best.:blushing::tap:

The "cold patch" on the tube applied down at Grand Lake still holding? (sheet metal & balin' wire) She gets tubes for sure. Didn't get a close look at the firebox. But if you are doing surgery it might be prudent to go for it.
She needs to be in good health for the future, we would miss her.