PDA

View Full Version : Cold smoke some cheese....

Geek with Fire
02-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Well, I'm on call this weekend so a long smoke's not in the cards. Thought I'd try some cheese. So I picked up a cheap hot plate and a cast iron smoking box; about $20 bucks. The hot plate is only 500 watts but I was able to get it to smoke some apple chips tonight. The box didn't have a very good smell, so I filled it with more chips and about 2 cups of bacon grease...heck of a fire...smells good now.

Anyhow, I picked up a view blocks of cheese and am going to give it a go tomorrow in the chargriller.

http://www.jegreer.com/images/forum/coldsmoker1.jpg

Geek with Fire
02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
11:45 AM this morning I got the cherry smoke goin' and put on some small blocks of Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, and a Parm wedge.

You will be happy to know that I am smokin this weekend without a gizmo, gadge, or even a computer (well, I suppose the hot plate is a gadget). I'm starting to go through the DT's, but I think I'll push through!

Probably pull the Mozzarella off at 2 hours. We'll see what the other's look like, but I think they'll go 3-4.

What about wood? Do you usually need to add more on a cold smoke? I put a couple of handfuls of chips in the box without the lid. Obviously I'll check and see for myself, but wondering what's normal.

Also, the intake damper is fully closed and the exhaust is wide open. Will closing the exhaust a bit cause any harm?

Sorry for all the rookie questions. I hope everyone is havin' a smokin' weekend!

Geek with Fire
02-09-2008, 07:06 PM
OK, I'm hooked on this stuff! I took the Parm off at 3 hours but left everything thing else on for 4. The last hour I had to add more chips, so I cheated and blazed them with a lighter until they were burning pretty good. Then I blew them out and put the lid back on the box (previous 3 hours were without it).

I wrapped them in plastic wrap then then in foil. I wanted to fight the temptation to cut into them until tomorrow when they mellow out a bit, but I couldn't help it. I took slivers off everything for samples. The Pepper Jack is bangin! The mozz is a very close second.

I think I'm gonna have to get a new rig just for smokin cheese. This is going to happen more often!

TX Sandman
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for showing a great way to produce smoke! This'll make it easier to make smoked cheese!

peculiarmike
02-13-2008, 08:17 AM
In the smokin' world it's whatever works for YOU. I love smoked cheese. It goes well with smoked baloney, snack crackers, and "something cool to drink".

SmokyOkie
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
What about wood? Do you usually need to add more on a cold smoke? I put a couple of handfuls of chips in the box without the lid. Obviously I'll check and see for myself, but wondering what's normal.

Also, the intake damper is fully closed and the exhaust is wide open. Will closing the exhaust a bit cause any harm?

Sorry for all the rookie questions. I hope everyone is havin' a smokin' weekend!

Most of us here love questions Josh, so keep 'em comin'.

There's really no need to ventilate your smoke chamber very much. The less you vent it, the less wood you need to burn. I like to add small amounts of chips at a time and do several loads. It seems to apply the smoke in thinner layers and avoid a thick smokey edge.

Whatever you do, don't forget the Swiss. I don't think any cheese reacts better to a litle smoke than a big hunk "o Jarlesberg.

Geek with Fire
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Most of us here love questions Josh, so keep 'em comin'.

There's really no need to ventilate your smoke chamber very much. The less you vent it, the less wood you need to burn. I like to add small amounts of chips at a time and do several loads. It seems to apply the smoke in thinner layers and avoid a thick smokey edge.

Whatever you do, don't forget the Swiss. I don't think any cheese reacts better to a litle smoke than a big hunk "o Jarlesberg.

Thanks Tim. Yea, I did notice that I used entirely too much wood last night. It actually worked well this time because it was cold enough last night that I could add some heat to the smoker without melting the cheese. The heat kept the nuts from sticking (don't you hate that when it's cold enough to make your.....oops family forum....sorry).

I agree on the swiss. That's what got me hooked on this stuff was a buddy who smoked me some swiss. Sure is good, but unfortunately Wally World doesn't have swiss on the $2 cheese rack:twocents:.

SmokyOkie
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I bet they don't carry Jarlesberg at all.