PDA

View Full Version : i'm wingin' in Saturday, got a question tho

gt2003
05-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, I've got a friend of mine who is competing in the brisket and ribs at the Bixby contest. He asked me to do pulled pork and I agreed although I'm not 100% into it. I've read the threads on garnishes as well as the ones on sauces. So, here's my question, when I turn in the pulled pork:

A: How much do I turn in? 1 lb, 2lbs, what?

B: Should I only turn in the meat and garnishment or should I turn it in on a bun?

I'm totally ignorant of this but thought I'd at least do it half way right. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Jeff Hughes
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Cook a 5 lb(minimum)unparted butt, pulled, sliced, or chunked, KCBS garnish or none at all...

Are you going to handle the meat inspection, or is your buddy?

Chargrilled
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I have NOT comped yet but from what I know.

A: Fill up the box, make it look FULL

B: I have not seen it turned in on a bun so wouldnt recommend it, when you think about it you would have to cut the bun for the judges or let them cut it, what size portion do they want, etc. etc. Let them pick from the box. just my :twocents:

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Ok, I've got a friend of mine who is competing in the brisket and ribs at the Bixby contest. He asked me to do pulled pork and I agreed although I'm not 100% into it. I've read the threads on garnishes as well as the ones on sauces. So, here's my question, when I turn in the pulled pork:

A: How much do I turn in? 1 lb, 2lbs, what?

B: Should I only turn in the meat and garnishment or should I turn it in on a bun?

I'm totally ignorant of this but thought I'd at least do it half way right. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

gt2003
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds good on the size. I've got one thawing now.

Ok, meat inspection...you've lost me, what is that? I'll garnish according to rules and regs. Thanks,

Jeff Hughes
05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
You have to have your meat inspected by a contest official before you start seasoning or cooking...

That's tough to do at 4am...

Buns are not KCBS legal garnish...

gt2003
05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Ah, you saved me. Guess I'll plan on showing up early Friday evening. Thanks for the heads up. I'll print off the rules tonight and scour through them. Thanks again, Greg

Joneser
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Jeff, make the pork a little chunky, with a bunch of bark showing. You can also add in some slices of the big muscle in the center of the butt if it's not too crumbly. No buns for sure though....it'd be funny to see the CBJ when the table judge opened that one....

Jeff Hughes
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Jeff, make the pork a little chunky, with a bunch of bark showing. You can also add in some slices of the big muscle in the center of the butt if it's not too crumbly. No buns for sure though....it'd be funny to see the CBJ when the table judge opened that one....

Thanks man, but I think I'm good on the pork(it's my best category), I was just trying to give the OP some direction...

Joneser
05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks man, but I think I'm good on the pork(it's my best category), I was just trying to give the OP some direction...
Sorry about that, I meant to say Greg....:msn-wink: :oops:

gt2003
05-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the input. I found and printed off the 2009 KCBS rules and regs. They seem pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I appreciate all the tips. I think it will be a fun contest. I'm looking forward to it! See you all there!

Jake
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
man i need to relocate :tap:

SmokyOkie
05-07-2009, 07:57 PM
You need to do all 4 categories if you want to compete. That means brisket too.

You also will need to make sure to turn in at least 6 separate identifiable portions. That includes ribs.:blushing:

gt2003
05-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah Tim, I read that in the rules. Guess I better be sure I don't skimp on the amount of pulled pork I turn in. I made a fresh batch of rub just now and expect to put the finishing touches on my sauce sometime between friday night and Saturday at 1pm, lol.

The guy I'm competing with is doing brisket and ribs. Guess we're out on the chicken. But, feel free to bring some rooster booster and I'll make a purchase before I get out of there.

Thanks for all of the advice gents. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this thing goes. Take care, Greg

P.S. - I'll be there probably at 5:30 or so. I'll start making phone calls then and track everyone down. Cya, Greg

glued2it
05-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Yeah Tim, I read that in the rules. Guess I better be sure I don't skimp on the amount of pulled pork I turn in. I made a fresh batch of rub just now and expect to put the finishing touches on my sauce sometime between friday night and Saturday at 1pm, lol.

The guy I'm competing with is doing brisket and ribs. Guess we're out on the chicken. But, feel free to bring some rooster booster and I'll make a purchase before I get out of there.

Thanks for all of the advice gents. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this thing goes. Take care, Greg

P.S. - I'll be there probably at 5:30 or so. I'll start making phone calls then and track everyone down. Cya, Greg

5:30 is pretty late to show up.:msn-wink:

Are you going to nap and stay up all night?

gt2003
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
The guy I'm cooking with is getting there early. So, I pretty much have it made. I get to just run in, find the meat inspector, season up the pork then have it ready to go on the smoker later in the evening. I'm staying in pretty close contact with him today so I'll know what time everything is going to happen. If I need to take off work for a few hours then I'll see if I can make that happen.

Sleep, I don't know. My folks live less than 10 miles away so once I get all my ducks in a row I may sneak off to their house and sleep for a few hours. Or..... maybe I can find a Bixby hottie and take it from there, lol. Most likely I'll end up in a lawn chair somewhere taking naps here and there. No, most likely I'll be up most of the night drinking beer with the gang, pass out for a few hours then get up and get ready for turn in time. We'll see. It's my first comp so there really is no telling what will happen.

glued2it
05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
The guy I'm cooking with is getting there early. So, I pretty much have it made. I get to just run in, find the meat inspector, season up the pork then have it ready to go on the smoker later in the evening. I'm staying in pretty close contact with him today so I'll know what time everything is going to happen. If I need to take off work for a few hours then I'll see if I can make that happen.

Sleep, I don't know. My folks live less than 10 miles away so once I get all my ducks in a row I may sneak off to their house and sleep for a few hours. Or..... maybe I can find a Bixby hottie and take it from there, lol. Most likely I'll end up in a lawn chair somewhere taking naps here and there. No, most likely I'll be up most of the night drinking beer with the gang, pass out for a few hours then get up and get ready for turn in time. We'll see. It's my first comp so there really is no telling what will happen.

I do believe you have to get all the meat inspected at once.

I don't know, We never split it up before.

gt2003
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey, if it doesn't work out all I'm out is 30 bucks. I'll still throw it on the smoker and have something to eat all week! Either way I'll know for sure what to expect next time, LIKE TAKE FRIDAY OFF!!!!!!!!

crewdawg52
05-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Go to the KBCS site, www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us) , and download the rules and regulations. Will be much easier to understand when you can read them.

I couldn,t find them at the site, so I googled them. Try the site below.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS_Rules_and_Regulations_2009.pdf

gt2003
05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Already done, Thanks!