PDA

View Full Version : unexpected results duo charcaol tray flip

lazy
05-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm smoking two 7 lb. butts today (more Barbie Benton this time instead of Paris Hilton...), so I flipped the charcoal try over in my Duo instead of using my homemade baffle.

I actually have a bigger variance side-to-side this way than I had with the baffle. And to top it off, the SFB side is the cooler of the two. It's running consistently about 25 degrees cooler on the right side than the left.

Temp in both butts is staying within a couple degrees of each other. Internal was 44/45 when they went on, and they haven't varied by more than two degrees of each other each time I've checked. Which is odd, since I put the bigger of the two next to the SFB, and that's the cooler side. I would expect it fall behind the smaller one on the hotter side. Unless my lid t-meters have gotten out of whack somehow?? I calibrated them before I installed them. After 67 hours, the butts are 155.

And I was able to go 4.5 hours or so before having to do anything other than adjust the intake a bit. Added a handful of Sam's Choice at that time. I started with the charcoal basket full of remnants of three different briquettes and some hardwood lump. I've noticed the lump (Ozark Oak) pops and spits a lot, has a lot of fly-away ashes. Is this a normal attribute of using lump? Once it was fairly well stabilized, I threw in a couple chunks each of apple and hickory.

Joneser
05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
installed them. After 67 hours, the butts are 155.

Wow, are you cooking them with a Zippo?
Just kidding, I know you meant 6-7 :D
Yeah, some lump does tend to pop and spit a little, I really only notice it when it's in the chimney though.
Can't wait to check out those Barbi Benton's :roflmaoha0:

lazy
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
:roflmaoha0:So much for spellcheck... There should be "numbercheck", or maybe "logiccheck".

I'm questioning the accuracy of the t-meters I installed. I'll calibrate them later.

I did sneak a peek in the main chamber, and sorta disappointed no sign of a bark forming yet. The rub is just sorta sitting there...

Out of curiosity, how does one keep from getting a large amount of smoke after adding more charcoal to the SFB?

Joneser
05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
You'll get a little, just scoot the red hot stuff to the left, then put the unburnt stuff on the right, it'll catch and as the unburnt gets to a high enough temp it'll stop smoking.

lazy
05-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Going on 12 hours and they aren't budging off of 170... I'm about ready to move them to the oven.

I'll wait and see if they start moving in the next 45 minutes or so...

Chargrilled
05-02-2009, 06:26 AM
AND??????????

I have done the oven thing bunches, esp when learning the CG!:msn-wink:

My lump pops and spits also, normal part of hardwood I guess.

glued2it
05-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Going on 12 hours and they aren't budging off of 170... I'm about ready to move them to the oven.

I'll wait and see if they start moving in the next 45 minutes or so...

You've hit the infamous plateau my friend.:msn-wink:

TX Sandman
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
You've hit the infamous plateau my friend.:msn-wink:

Heckuva plateau. 20 hrs and counting. :msn-wink:

lazy
05-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Took them off about 1:15 this morning, still at 175. Wrapped and into the oven at 200 overnight. At 6:30 this morning, one had hit 187 the other still at 182. Pulled them anyway, rested them for about 45 minutes, then pulled them apart. One was a bit overdone, the other was darn near perfect.

The t-meters are Taylor, two different models, have been accurate up to this point. I'll check them later this week to see if they may have suddenly gone on strike together... Probes were in correct units. Don't have any other ideas.

Took a couple pics this morning. Will post later tonight or tomorrow. Don't have my camera at work... Pork is pretty much wiped out. The crew around here act like they haven't eaten for a week. Don't know if it was that good or if they are that starved for something that didn't come through a drive-thru window...