PDA

View Full Version : Flieschke

TX Sandman
04-29-2009, 05:31 AM
How's *that* grab ya?

I have no idea if that's how it's supposed to be spelled, but I'm going with it. It's pronounced FLEESH-key, and is a great (to me) use of leftover ham. It's like a Czech version of colcannon.

To bring it outdoors, try smoked cabbage or leftover PP. Sausage would be good, too.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5692/dsc02266.jpg

half a head of cabbage
1 pound ham
1 pound pasta, any shape (we usually use a flat shape, but it's whatever's on hand)
1 stick butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste

1. First, coarse-grind the ham with a grinder.
2. Next, core and slice the cabbage. Usually we do a coarse chop, but it doesn't matter much, long as it's bite-sized pieces. We usually steam the cabbage in the microwave first to pre-cook it and speed the cooking time. You could add the raw cabbage to the pot, but it will take *forever* to cook.
3. In a large pot big enough to hold everything plus room to stir, cook the pasta. Drain. Return the hot pasta to the pot.
4. Add the butter, ham, and cabbage to the pot and stir. Season with S&P. Keep stirring at a medium heat to melt and distribute the butter and let the flavors meld a bit. Check for seasoning and add S&P to taste. Since there's no liquid in this recipe, you need to stir frequently to prevent burning on the bottom.

This is better the second day, when the flavors have really got together. Yeah, it's simple, but we like it. You could add some chicken broth or other spices, all quantities and ingredients are flexible. When I eat it, I add some hot sauce or cayenne, but the FIL likes it this way, so this is how the MIL cooks it.

Joneser
04-29-2009, 06:28 AM
That looks like an interesting combination of flavors....I'd try it.

Chargrilled
04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
That looks like an interesting combination of flavors....I'd try it.

My O my Rob, that looks mighty fine, bet it ate good too!!!

Thanks for the recipe, saved!!

BA_LoKo
04-29-2009, 07:29 PM
You posted at 5:31am? Brother, you're working too hard!

Nice looking dish. I'll have to give it a try. When I read the title, I was worried that it would have kraut in it. If it had, you'd have lost me right there. I like cabbage though.

TX Sandman
04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
You posted at 5:31am? Brother, you're working too hard!

No foolin'. Got a list that has to be done tomorrow, at least 24 hrs of work on it. Every time I start to see my desktop, another pile comes in.

I actually was awake at 3 am today. Body said, "No more sleep for you," and that was it.

Nice looking dish. I'll have to give it a try. When I read the title, I was worried that it would have kraut in it. If it had, you'd have lost me right there. I like cabbage though.

No kraut in the dish, just in the kitchen. :D