PDA

View Full Version : Starnes Sauce

flying illini
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Yep, ate a lot of Starnes growing up. Also, Leigh's about 15 miles straight west of Paducah on Highway 60 in Kevil, KY. (no web site for either)

I'm sure Glenn will back me up on this one, If you're ever down in Paducah, KY. Make sure you stop at Starnes BBQ. There Western KY bbq sauce is quite unique. Their wax paper wrapped PP sammies are out of this world!

At Starnes or Leigh's, no sauce is served on the meat. (maybe finishing sauce but I doubt it) They offer a vinegar based sauce on the side. Usually you just at a few drops. This is pretty close to Starnes as I found it searching for 'Starnes' on google. (it is at SMF ironically) Someone from Paducah posted it I recall.

I always add more cayenne and Tabasco.

Recipe:
3 TBSP Ketchup (Heinz)
4 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (1/4 cup)
1 TBSP water
1 Tsp Black Pepper (fine ground)
Tsp White pepper
Tsp Cayenne (red) pepper (or more to taste, locals will use 1 Tsp)
2 Tsp Tabasco or other red pepper sauce

All measures are level measurements.

Mix it in a small Tupperware container and shake to mix. Store at room temperature but if you are not going to use it for a while, refrigerate or just throw it away and make fresh next time. Some folks add a little sugar but I think this is closer to the Starnes recipe in taste. This sauce is hot but not as hot as some like it. Just add more cayenne if you want it hotter like at the restaurant. Enjoy!

Q-N-Brew
04-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Copied to a new thread. I hate to see useful recipes lost in threads. Thanks for posting this with us.

Joneser
04-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I tried this a few monthhs ago...it's really close. Good stuff if that's what you like....it's got some decent kick.

flying illini
04-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Joneser: I have thought about reducing apple cider vinegar a tad to get it closer to Starnes.

Another challenge is to try to come up with something close to Leigh's in Kevil, KY. (It is similar though)

chadd17
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for posting. I will give it a try:thumbs up:

flying illini
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
A picture of the establishment:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/nabordawg1/starnes_barbecue_002.jpg

This recipe is in this book I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-BBQ-Sauce-Book-Recipes/dp/089815944X

Chargrilled
05-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Glen his place is one of many places featured in a book called "Real Barbecue" that I have read. It got real good ratings. I will have to get down there and check it out.

Book says, pulled chopped pork on white bread then the sammie is grilled with a sprinkle of their sauce which is used more as a seasoning than a gravy.

toastedtom
05-02-2009, 07:57 AM
That Starnes sauce sounds pretty darn good. I lived in Western KY most of my adult life and them folks can cook. Thanks for finding and posing recipe!:drooling: tt

tsunami_tommy
05-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Glen his place is one of many places featured in a book called "Real Barbecue" that I have read. It got real good ratings. I will have to get down there and check it out.

Book says, pulled chopped pork on white bread then the sammie is grilled with a sprinkle of their sauce which is used more as a seasoning than a gravy.

that book must have a lot of pictures if you are enjoying it.:monkey:

flying illini
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
My Dad will make his sammie this way on a white bun even now! (he will toast it for a minute on a george foreman) Yep, the 'sauce' is just lightly added.

timw
04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
FYI - I bought authentic Starnes from http://www.jpsaucehouse.com/ Good service and great sauce.

Joneser
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
That is some good stuff...Dad used to take me there when I was a kid. The Recipe that Glenn posted is verrrryyyy close.
Tim, you should introduce yourself in the C'mon on in and sit down section.

timw
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I lived in Paducah 5 years, and Starnes was the only bbq I wd goto. They make these incredible pulled meat sandwiches, on flattened grilled white bread, and then you can choose how much of the peppery Starnes sauce to use ---- I always used a lot of course. Over the years I searched the web periodically to see if Starnes sauce was available, and last year I found this forum. I made the recipe in the forum. I varied the recipe to my tastes in a series of experiments. But the recipe isn't enough like the original to suit my tastes. So when I found jpsaucehouse, I was absolutely thrilled. I use Starnes sauce on everything, because it has no smokey or sweet flavor ---- it is simply a terrific all purpose pepper sauce. But the knock-off recipes are pretty good too, just not in the same league as the original.