PDA

View Full Version : Need opinons of turn in boxes

Boss Hogg
04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Enid was our first contest and we need opinions of our turn in boxes, just took pictures of chicken and brisket didn't get ribs or pork just got to busy.

Be brutal we need all the help we can get.

:sign0092: Boss Hogg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Boss_Hogg_62/HPIM3184.jpg

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu242/Boss_Hogg_62/HPIM3187.jpg

antny616
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't know nutin from nitin. Have yet to do my first comp, but they sure look nice to me. I would turn that in.

antny

Butt Lover's
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Boss Hog. The boxes look pretty good overall. I would try to get chicken more uniform in size and glaze also. While the gloppy glaze doesn't really change the taste but it would just look better. The brisket looks nice but I would put more in the box and spritz it with some apple juice or whatever you prefer just to keep it looking moist till the judges get it. Great job on the parsley!

Partyshack BBQ
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
On the Brisket you need more in the box. Burnt ends in the box with it. Like bl said more uniform pieces evenly glazed. we use thighs.

SmokyOkie
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
They will be brutally honest. Be sure you're ready for it.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2979

Brisket look real dry. If it is as dry as it looks, appearance will not be anywhere near the problem that flavoe and tenderness will.

Besides making it look juicy, be sure it IS juicy.

If you can come up with a sauce or method that makes the chix shiny, it might help your appearance scores.

remember though, appearance is weighted very lightly compared to taste and tenderness.

I would never serve sauce on brisket, but I wouldn;t turn it in at a comp without a little bit of it on the meat for shine and to keep it moist.

If it is a little dry, how dry will it be by the time the judges get it?

erain
04-27-2009, 02:24 AM
again i am a know nothing but got to agree with tim on the brisket, the first thing that caught my eye was how dry it looks, maybe its the bestest, tenderest, etc... just "looks" dry.

as far as the chicken it looks pretty good to me but the only thing i wondering about is them boxes... you do close them up correct??? and if so a possibillity of the side of the box rubbing the chix pieces and upon opening there may be some scrapage that went on on the sauce. again purley a visual thing but i would have to guess it counts for something otherwise you guys wouldnt spend the time with the parsley etc...

just thoughts from an unknowlegable scource...

Jack W
04-27-2009, 03:58 AM
IMHO and it's just that, the chicken needs to be trimmed to equal sizes to better fit in the box. The "gloppy" look of the sauce could be smoothed out with a brush. Add some honey or corn syurp to your sauce to give it some shine. The brisket box looks small. 2 or 3 more pcs or burnt ends would make a difference. A thin sauce to make it look moist and shine would be a good play.

Again, just my .02

Jack

crewdawg52
04-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Chicken is crowded in the box. Also, not same size. Some too large. My eyes went right to the larger pieces. Sauce looks like it was glopped on. Not evenly brushed, etc.

Brisket looks good, but too dry. You have the required six pieces, but there is alot of green still showing.

peculiarmike
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
A full box beats a not so full box in appearance. Some like sliced brisket, some like chunks, include both.
I guess the chix could be uniform in size, but I don't get excited about that issue, all chix are not created equal. Visual appeal relates to skin color, possible glaze or sauce coating.
Like I've said in the past, if I take a thigh out of the box and the underside has a solid layer of greenery stuck to it, it's a hassle to have to pick it all off before trying a bite. It's fingers only you know. Does not kill the score, just a hassle. Something to consider.
But that's just me. :shrug:

SmokyOkie
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
again i am a know nothing but got to agree with tim on the brisket, the first thing that caught my eye was how dry it looks, maybe its the bestest, tenderest, etc... just "looks" dry.

as far as the chicken it looks pretty good to me but the only thing i wondering about is them boxes... you do close them up correct??? and if so a possibillity of the side of the box rubbing the chix pieces and upon opening there may be some scrapage that went on on the sauce. again purley a visual thing but i would have to guess it counts for something otherwise you guys wouldnt spend the time with the parsley etc...

just thoughts from an unknowlegable scource...

It's not supposed to, but why take chances.