PDA

View Full Version : For Those that cater

Partyshack BBQ
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Have you found it hard find jobs? We have quite a few chances to bid some stuff and have landed a large job 300 +/- . Just a little nervous on this one. The 75-100 person jobs we have so far aren't that nerve racking. We are a little nervous about 4k gig, there is more chance of loss and screwups.

What kind of margins do you do mostly on larger jobs. We have been getting around 9 / plate pretty easily here with no drink. We got decently competitive on the larger job . we wanted to get some babes in the wilderness experience. We feel relatively confident on meat portions but mix is another story.

The customer is wanting a buffet line with us serving (portion control). They want Brisket, pork and chicken. I will do the Brisk and pork but really want to do something other than chicks. 300 breats not going to happen, 75 quarters not going to happen. I offered up turkey breasts we can cut the breasts into portions and get more portions. I could actually do 6 whole turkeys and trim it up.

Do you think turkey is a viable option and financial feasable . Bear mind we will be cooking 12/13 briskets and 14/15 butts with 2 sides

SmokyOkie
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
4K gig?

Partyshack BBQ
04-23-2009, 10:39 PM
yuppers. Excited and very nervous. The gig is in a couple months so we have some time to get some items down or even get another cooker. Ironside (ol betsy) isn't nearly as mobile as a bws. But I can't exactly throw a Piglet or competitor over my shoulder either.

jminion
04-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Are you saying your doing brisket, butt, chicken and two sides for $9 a head?

You have a gig to feed 4k? You best have a lot more cooker space than you have stated you have.

We have been doing chicken halfs, small birds, you end up four piecing the halfs and they cook fast.

We are getting $14.95 a head for brisket and chicken with 3 sides. At $9 a head for 3 meats and 2 sides you won't be able to stay in business long or you are going to work for no pay.

cabinetmaker
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I think he meant 300 people for $4000.00. Thats $13.30 a head. I used to coordinate an annual event here. We fed about 150 folks. A local BBQ restaurant supplied me with chopped brisket, sliced pork loin, sliced turkey breast, and 3 sides for $9.00 a head. He's been in business for 25 years and still going strong. Maybe things are just cheaper here.

13 briskets=$325.00
14 butts=$140.00
6 turkeys=$120.00
10 bags Ozark oak lump= $50.00

Figure in another 500.00 for sides, utensils, incidentals, disposables, gas, spices, etc...

Sounds like a good gig to me, but I've never done it before, so I could be wrong. Probably some variables that I haven't included.

I'm sure you pros will enlighten me.

jminion
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I think he meant 300 people for $4000.00. Thats $13.30 a head. I used to coordinate an annual event here. We fed about 150 folks. A local BBQ restaurant supplied me with chopped brisket, sliced pork loin, sliced turkey breast, and 3 sides for $9.00 a head. He's been in business for 25 years and still going strong. Maybe things are just cheaper here.

13 briskets=$325.00
14 butts=$140.00
6 turkeys=$120.00

Figure in another 500.00 for sides, utensils, incidentals, disposables, gas, spices, etc...

Sounds like a good gig to me, but I've never done it before, so I could be wrong. Probably some variables that I haven't included.

That is the reason for the question, not sure what he meant.
I'm sure it is more expensive to do business in Seattle.

Joneser
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm sure it is more expensive to do business in Seattle.
Probably because all the rain gear needed... :roflmaoha0:

jminion
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Probably because all the rain gear needed... :roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0: Up here when sun shines too many days in a row we get depressed.
Rain gear is just standard issue. :roflmaoha0:

OK gets on average 3" more than WA yearly.

cabinetmaker
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
:roflmaoha0:
OK gets on average 3" more than WA yearly.

We get it all at once instead of a little everyday.:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
04-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Per cabinetmaker's scenario, the $260 profit doesn't sound like much compensation for the effort involved, and that's if you don't have to split it.:shrug:

Just my:twocents:

Butt Lover's
04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Good Luck. If you need another party to use I am sure we could work something out.

SmokyOkie
04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
As I mentioned in the PM, the Piglet is always for rent if its a non comp weekend.

I also have a cambro, warming light and a couple disposable chafing set ups as well is you need to borrow them.

chef schwantz
04-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe think about doing the pork the day before, and reheating to 165 day of service, and then doing turkeys spatchcocked. You may want to consider the crowd as well. Are they going to lean more towards the pork and beef? Figure about 8 oz meat per person (finished weight) plus 15% for fudge room. Thats going to require some math, as you will lose about 30% wt with bone in birds. :twocents::twocents:

SmokyOkie
04-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe think about doing the pork the day before, and reheating to 165 day of service, and then doing turkeys spatchcocked. You may want to consider the crowd as well. Are they going to lean more towards the pork and beef? Figure about 8 oz meat per person (finished weight) plus 15% for fudge room. Thats going to require some math, as you will lose about 30% wt with bone in birds. :twocents::twocents:

8 oz meat per person with sides? That's a pretty heavy dose isn't it?

chef schwantz
04-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Thats why you have to consider the crowd. Especially if its a boofay. People always bite off more than they can chew.

Partyshack BBQ
04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
yeah its a $4k gig not 4000 people. Wow, I would not even consider it, unless I could use someones just closed bbq raunt. We had another talk with the client today on the phone and we are all but set. We have most everything since we got in the door of the bbq raunt that was closed recently. We picked up some nice stuff. I was thinking of doing turks but cost of them compared to chicken is pretty significant. 3.99 per lb for breasts. I would be doing like 40 of them.

The gig is a guaranteed 250 people with a usual overflow of no more than 300 total. We have some contacts that are helping with beverages and desserts. I have a number we are using for miscellanous expenses. for example wood, charcoal, condiments (sauce included here) plates, napkins . My number here is about $350

I have my meat estimate which I was told by my friend who is my butcher will go up a little by july. We are just under a grand for that. Btw buying in bulk from sam's is probably the way we are going . $1.51 / lb for packer briskets and 1.18 per lb for butts. Chicken or turk I need to find a better avenue. Chicken is cheap so we might very well be cooking 100 or so breasts. I would like to do whole friars but with all the rest of the meat. It will be easier to do breasts even though they are more per lb.

Partyshack BBQ
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM

13 briskets=$325.00
14 butts=$140.00
6 turkeys=$120.00

Thats actually pretty close to the numbers we have figured through our suppliers (my butcher and sam's club)

My butcher was 1.81 per lb and sam's 1.57 per lb on brisket. Butts weren't even close but I will probably do business with my butcher though.

SmokyOkie
04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah its a $4k gig not 4000 people. Wow, I would not even consider it, unless I could use someones just closed bbq raunt. We had another talk with the client today on the phone and we are all but set. We have most everything since we got in the door of the bbq raunt that was closed recently. We picked up some nice stuff. I was thinking of doing turks but cost of them compared to chicken is pretty significant. 3.99 per lb for breasts. I would be doing like 40 of them.

The gig is a guaranteed 250 people with a usual overflow of no more than 300 total. We have some contacts that are helping with beverages and desserts. I have a number we are using for miscellanous expenses. for example wood, charcoal, condiments (sauce included here) plates, napkins . My number here is about $350

I have my meat estimate which I was told by my friend who is my butcher will go up a little by july. We are just under a grand for that. Btw buying in bulk from sam's is probably the way we are going . $1.51 / lb for packer briskets and 1.18 per lb for butts. Chicken or turk I need to find a better avenue. Chicken is cheap so we might very well be cooking 100 or so breasts. I would like to do whole friars but with all the rest of the meat. It will be easier to do breasts even though they are more per lb.

Have you checked with Mountainview? They'll deliver for that kind of quantity.

Partyshack BBQ
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah I was going to check them out. I see them at Donnie's about every other day (Buffalo BBQ)

SmokyOkie
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Best links you can get, both hot and mild. Their garlic bologna is to die for.

Donnie uses their hot links.

Partyshack BBQ
04-26-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah the next time I see the delivery truck, which i'm sure will be monday am. It will be easy since my buddy's daylight d nuts is where he has his trailer. I just have to get out instead of going through the drive thru

SmokyOkie
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Be better if you just call them.

Partyshack BBQ
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Be better if you just call them.

I agree but I want to see the meat and I have to talk to Donny about some stuff.