PDA

View Full Version : Maiden voyage...and then some

gt2003
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Hell, thought I was in the PORK forum. Mods, please move if u can. Sorry for the misunderstanding.....

OK, if u recall, I bought a new smoker just before I moved into my new house. It's been a crazy couple of weeks moving in, getting everything semi-organized etc. Now it's time to get this baby fired up! I actually fired it up for a fatty and a little bbq'd bologna (last few pics) on the 1st weekend here but I didn't truly break her in until Saturday. My folks came down Saturday and I let her loose. Here are the pics: baby backs, country style ribs, brisket, a breakfast fatty and some salmon. I put thermo's on the top and bottom shelf and found they only differ by about 25-30 degrees. I was thankful for that. I have had a little trouble with the fatty's looking too done, almost black. They aren't burnt by any means but they are awfully dark. Guess I could use the probe and cook to an internal temp of whatever but I haven't recently. Any advice? Everything on this baby has turned out great. Let me know what you think of the 1st few cooks in this baby. Take care all, Greg

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/gt2003/

BA_LoKo
04-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Greg, it looks like your first smokes were a great success. Beautiful looking groceries. Did you run pure stick wood or did you use charcoal?

JamesB
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Looks like good eats to me!

gt2003
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks all. BaLoko, both, lump charcoal and wood. Generally when the fire would get a little low I'd throw another small log on it along with a handful or two of lump. I did do something a little different though. When I added the lump, I would open the firebox and the smoking chamber for a minute or so until the charcoal/wood got going really good and wasn't producing the billowing smoke. It seemed to work OK. I figured the meat wasn't going to lose temp in this short of time and I wouldn't be exposing the meat to the billowing smoke. I'll cook the fatty and the salmon a little less time in the future. I may use a temp probe, we'll see.

chef schwantz
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Believe it or not, sometimes you can have too much smoke. That may be the cause of your dark meat problem.:twocents:

Jake
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
looks like good eats dude:thumbs up:

BYBBQ
04-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Everything looked great.:thumbs up:

Joneser
04-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Looks good, On the fatties, you need to get them up to about 160-165 IT. I think I understood the first post that you didn't cook them to IT....the 160 range should only take about 2 hrs @ 225-250.
Sure had that baby loaded down. That was a Bellfab, right?

cabinetmaker
04-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Looks great Greg. Any pics of the smoker? Thats the backyard model, correct?

gt2003
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Yep, it's a bellfab. Here's the link to the thread of the original pics I posted. If the thread doesn't work, go to stickburners and the title is "i normally don't like big girls, but...."

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2848

Yeah, Joneser, I should have used a thermo on it but I didn't. I think I simply overcooked it. I'll be more disciplined about the thermo next time. The color on everything else was great and I bet the next one will be perfecto with the probe.