PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Legs

Big G
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
OK, being that i've nailed down cooking a pork butt for pulled pork. I'm going to attempt some chicken this Sunday. Pulled some chicken legs out of the freezer. Going to apply some rub then wrap in plastic and put in refer to marinate overnight. Now my question is, roughly how long do i smoke them at @225* drum temp ? Also, do i try to use the meat probe and put it in one of the chicken legs. I'm doing about 24 legs for this cook. :shrug::shrug:

BA_LoKo
04-17-2009, 07:35 PM
If you can reach a higher temp on the drum, I'd recommend it. Chicken doesn't need the slow cooking time to achieve tenderness.

Yes, you can probe the meat for temp, but be as accurate with probe placement as possible. I pull my chicken at 171F (when doing whole chickens).

If it were me, I'd probe quite a few of them. You can figure on the legs getting done quite quickly. I'd guess around 45 minutes at 275F. That's a complete guess though, but they shouldn't take long.

Keep in mind that the higher you run your temps, the more crisp the skin will be. Cooking at the lower temps will make them a bit rubbery.

Big G
04-17-2009, 07:59 PM
If you can reach a higher temp on the drum, I'd recommend it. Chicken doesn't need the slow cooking time to achieve tenderness.

Yes, you can probe the meat for temp, but be as accurate with probe placement as possible. I pull my chicken at 171F (when doing whole chickens).

If it were me, I'd probe quite a few of them. You can figure on the legs getting done quite quickly. I'd guess around 45 minutes at 275F. That's a complete guess though, but they shouldn't take long.

Keep in mind that the higher you run your temps, the more crisp the skin will be. Cooking at the lower temps will make them a bit rubbery.
Sounds good to me !! The higher temps are no problem. I would definitely prefer the crispier skin on the chicken. Thanks, very much appreciated !!:sign0092:

Siesta Man
04-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Big G, The way that I do drumsticks---First, your prep sounds great because your adding your own flavors. When it comes to the cook BA_LOKOS temps are right on. When i'm cooking them, I watch the small end of the drumstick and when the skin starts to pull back ( like it does when cooking ribs ) your temps should be getting close. Thats when I start using my instant probe therm. I try to have my cooking temps @ 280* to 300*. Works for me. E.T.

SmokyOkie
04-18-2009, 10:56 PM
If you want crisp skin, you really need to be at 325 or higher. Small drums 40 minutes, large ones 45 minutes.

You are doing a quick cook. Cook to time instead of temp. If you want, you can sheck them at the end of the time, but you should be able to tell if they are done or not by looks and feel.

Not rocket science, just a few drums.

I prefer leg quarters. they stay juicier.

Big G
04-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Being that the chicken legs don't take long to cook, I decided to do up a couple racks of baby backs to go with the chicken legs. Only @ an hr. on the chicken is no fun ! Going with the 3-2-1 method on the ribs. These first times on cooking food is always fun & interesting !! :wings:

BigAL
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I'll add my .02.....but I've never done drums or cooked on a drum. I have to agree that 225 is not going to give you crisp skin, good chicken.....just not good skin(been there done that 100 times). I would say 300+, but I'm not a big fan of cook'n by time.....but then again I like to give Tim a hard time.(he would be one to listen to, btw, along w/ ET & Kev)

What I've been try'n to do, has to do w/not have'n a good therm and too tight to buy another, is to go by feel. Dare I say to not use the 3-2-1 on ribs? Yep, wth. It takes practice, but go by feel and looks. Throw on more legs if ya can and check when you think they are done. Also throw on another rack and do 321 vs your judgement.

Well, that is just the route I'm take'n. I want to be free of probes and go by smell, feel, look, to get it right. It's tough but another challenge.

Just something to think about.....but then again, don't practice on others, just for the family........and get some mac & cheese ready for the "bad times"(thats similar to what I do:blushing:)

Best of luck, and how about some pics?:thumbs up:

Big G
04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm gonna go with the look for the chicken. Next time i think i will go with the leg quarters though. As for the ribs, I'm already in the process of the 3-2-1 method. I just got done wrapping them in foil. Got two racks goin'.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Nascar3gg/Smoker%20Food/0419091301.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Nascar3gg/Smoker%20Food/0419091301a.jpg
I'll try goin' by look and smell next time. When i do that though, is it gonna be roughly a 6 hr too ? I'm tryin' to time the chicken to finish when the ribs will be done.:msn-wink: Once again, Thanks for all the info !!! Makes the learning all the more easier. :sign0092:

glued2it
04-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Looks good.

I always cook my chicken at 350.:msn-wink:

When posting pics, Try to separate your links so that they aren't side by side.

The more space between the the pics links, the more space between the pics when you post them.

Here is an example.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/tqjpics/paste-1.jpg

Chargrilled
04-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey G,

Another thing to consider, I usually cook the ribs first as they require lower heat and turn out better (at least for me). Then when they are done I rest them in foil in a cooler. Bring the temps up for chix as they are going to take that long, worst case for pieces an hour. Cook them and bout time they are done drag the ribs out. If the bark has loosened too much you can throw them back on the pit for a few. That way everything will be served at same time cook with diff temps.

my:twocents:

YMMV of course, have fun!!!

SmokyOkie
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Ribs can hold easily for the 45 minutes it takes to cook the chix.

the ribs in the pictures seem to be Baby back ribs. If they are, 6 hours is enough time to totally obliterate them. some will say to do them 2-2-1 personally, I find 300 for a total time of about 2.5 hours produces the best end result. If you want to foil them for the last 45 minutes or so, fine, but then if oyu want to glaze them, do so over a hot charcoal fire.

Big G
04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes they are baby back ribs. And yes, 6 hrs. was more than enough !!! Next time i'll try the 300* for 2.5 hrs. When i took them off they practically fell apart ! Very delicious though !!!:eating: Everybody loved them.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Nascar3gg/Smoker%20Food/0419091558.jpg

My smaller drum needs a little re-working though. Couldn't get the temp over 235* for the chicken. Gonna change out 2 of the 1/2" pipe and ball valves with some 3/4" pipe and valves. Try and get some more air in there. Also not sure if there's enough exhaust out the top so i'm gonna enlarge the openings in the lid. Maybe go with 3/4" there too. :tap:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/Nascar3gg/0322091456-1.jpg

SmokyOkie
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
There is a formulation for flow reduction caused by 90 turns and the difference is more than you would think. I think that Flying Illini can tell you the formulation due to his experience in designing exhaust systems for the auto industry.

I know that Bubba has had negative experience with the elbows, but I would think that if you made them large enough, they would work. If I were you, I would try the mods one at a time. It's hard to put the metal back on once you've drilled it away