PDA

View Full Version : What a difference the SFB makes

lazy
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I put the SFB on last week, didn't have time to play with it. Plus, it left a lot to be desired as to craftsmanship. Hinges off kilter, ash drawer not sealing, door not sealing/warped, handle finish hit-and-miss. I sent pics to CG, and they have a new SFB body on the way to me. :wow:I'm impressed with their customer service.

I did the charcoal basket, and bent the front panel of my old gasser to form a baffle for the cooking chamber. I fired it up today to do another little butt. I figured to do what I was familiar with to see the differences with/without the SFB. I had to use foil to try to seal the gaps in the door/drawer. It held right around 225-240 with no problem. Butt set at 165/170 for over an hour and a half, but finally started rising again. I haven't opened the cooking chamber yet, so I trust everything is fine in there. It seemed to run about 3 hours with the vent closed (chimney always full open) without varying at all, then start dropping. Opening the vent a bit helped bring it up, but I ended up adding charcoal twice. I think I used a lot more charcoal this way than doing indirect in the cooking chamber like I have been. I

Next time I'll start out with more in the basket before adding the lit ones. I slid the charcoal basket all the wayto the right side, and put a couple chunks of hickory between the basket and the entry to the main chamber.

Will get pics as it comes off, and while pulling. It's going directly to the fridge, as I did a BCC on the gasser side, also. Pictures of it before the night's over.

Butt Lover's
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
That's alot of work Lazy ;)

Hope the SFB treats you well :)

lazy
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I get an urge every so often to do something useful. Right now the old unit is in pieces--some for the trash, some for "future use" on the CG. We'll see if they actually get used, or if I end up trashing them next year...

Joneser
04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
If you think that's something....wait til you try a drum.
Glad to head CG is sending you a new one....are you sending the bad one back to them?

lazy
04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
It wasn't mentioned. I guess I'll know when the new one comes. If there's a return slip, I'll pack it up and send it back. I don't know that they would want it for anything, though...

Joneser
04-16-2009, 07:10 AM
It wasn't mentioned. I guess I'll know when the new one comes. If there's a return slip, I'll pack it up and send it back. I don't know that they would want it for anything, though...
Heck, if they don't want it back, you can make up some legs for it, rework it a little and have a fine hamburger and hot dog grill..

peculiarmike
04-16-2009, 07:17 AM
They won't want it back. When I bought my Duo the top and bottom halves of the gas side were dented. Sent them pics and they sent me new halves, no questions asked. Now I have a spare set if needed. :D