PDA

View Full Version : Up in smoke

Just J
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
So I own a Lil Tex. A few weeks ago while doing a roasting chicken and beans, there was two loud booms. I ran outside to see the backyard covered in smoke and even more smoke pouring out of the smoker. I put out the fire, moved the ruined meal into the house (we had soup for supper that night) and hoped the water now turning to ice wasn't doing damage.

And that brings me to this weekend. after three days of working on it, the auger will not move. I can not find my tools to take anything apart, which gets a "I told you to clean up the basement, didn't I". Nice, kick me while I'm down.

I am hoping someone here feels my pain. I try to vent to friends about this and they look at me like I am on crack. And not even good crack. They were very understanding people when I was feeding them.

Just J

BigAL
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the joint, J! Your at the right place to learn, teach, and post pics!:msn-wink::thumbs up:

Ok, to reply......:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:. Sorry to laugh, I just went thru :censored2: :censored2: w/my Louisiana country smoker/cooker.....what ever it's called. (pellet also) Finally got it fixed and all is good.....another story.

I've had my auger lock up on my traeger before, only happened once.......so far(knock on wood). I cleaned out the pellets in the hopper, even cleaned the smoke chamber(cause I didn't know what the heck I was going to do). I used pliers to work the auger back & forth and finally got it unstuck. I don't remember if it was luck or I did something right, but it did work by clean'n and use'n a bit of "angered force".:blushing: I'm not say'n to go nuts on it, hard to do in that little area in the hopper anyway.

I gotta add this was a few yrs ago, on the older style traeger texas/big tex/or what ever it's called.....075 I think.

Glad your here, this site could use a few more good guys on it!:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Power to the pellet!:roflmaoha0:

Any questions just ask......everyone here is here to help and learn. I wish you the best of luck w/your fix.......and clean'n the basement.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0::thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
No pics? I'm sure it didn't really happen. :roflmaoha0:

There is good news. You finally found something that BigAl knows about. None of the rest of us have been able to find anything he knows about. :shrug:

Do what he says. Wiggle that auger and see if you can it back running. If you can get to it, put a little Astro-Glide down there where it's jammed. With that stuff, I think you could put a semi truck through a pet door. :censored2:

Good luck.

BigAL
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey, it'll change your life, man.:cheer:

chef schwantz
04-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Use the force, JustJ, steer away from the pellet side, only anger resides there, only darkness.

jminion
04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Pellets and water make pelletcret that you are going to have to dig out of the auger for a start. Long screwdrivers and metal coat hangers will be needed to get the pellets broken loose.

Good luck, and if your wife really loved you she would clean your basement for you, good luck with that too.:roflmaoha0:

Just J
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Good luck, and if your wife really loved you she would clean your basement for you,
Well, that might happen, as I have started to buy some new tools to replace what I can't find. A man can always used more tools.

Use the force, JustJ, steer away from the pellet side, only anger resides there, only darkness.
Well, that may be true, but the sweet smell of apple smoke is more enjoyed by the neighbors than what a chimney of charcoal smells like (got to keep piece in the neighborhood). I also have a WSM. It is just hard to find lump in fall/winter/spring, I can get pellets on my lunch break. I also like being able to use apple, cherry, maple, or whatever without ordering chunks online, although my MasterCard is missing all the money I was giving them.
I have no skills to build anything or I would make a nice stick burning offset, where I could also grill off the firebox.

I have nothing to say to go with this I just really wanted to use it. :shake: I wonder if she cares the basement is messy?

:silly: Sorry. I am confusing fantasy with reality again. Sometimes I hate when that happens.

J

BigAL
04-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I have nothing to say to go with this I just really wanted to use it. :shake: I wonder if she cares the basement is messy?

:silly: Sorry. I am confusing fantasy with reality again. Sometimes I hate when that happens.

J

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: Thats good, real good. LMAO! You'll need the glide, man.

OK, joke'n aside. I'm in a similar boat as you, wood is hard to find............serious, has nothing to do w/the "glide". That is why I like pellets.

Hope all is well, and shortly we should have another "pellet pooper" on the site......as soon as he intro's himself. Another great guy, just like us.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Just J
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I was about to shut down when I realized I forgot to thank everyone for the help. BigAl, I will try to calmly force it loose. Luckily I have a brand new set of vice grips to use.

J

BigAL
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I was about to shut down when I realized I forgot to thank everyone for the help. BigAl, I will try to calmly force it loose. Luckily I have a brand new set of vice grips to use.

J

Good luck J, I hope it goes well.:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
See, only you guys can relate.
Auger???? We don need no stinkin' auger. :bandit:

:roflmaoha0:

Just J
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
The weather the past week has sucked, but today I finally got a chance to work on the Traeger. No matter what I tried the auger would not move. Now there is nothing from the auger fan, so I think the motor is toast, which might have caused all this to begin with. At least I have a Traeger guy close to work.

I am still cooking, just (J) using the WSM with no water pan and using fire wood. I call it campfire cooking ,as it can be a little burnt in area's, or over smoked. Just like when I would go camping and cook over the fire pit.

Today I did some potatoes and a small beef tenderloin. I love my Traeger, but nothing like cooking over real wood.

J

Just J
04-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I have seen these around enough to know I need pics. nopics?nopics?nopics?

These are not the best pics, but it is all I have. So here is tonights supper:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/xzaryjr/P4200105-1.jpg[/IMG]

And the end result:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/xzaryjr/P4200107-1.jpg[/IMG]

I hope you like.

J

SmokyOkie
04-25-2009, 10:56 PM
I have seen these around enough to know I need pics. nopics?nopics?nopics?

So here is tonights supper:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/xzaryjr/P4200105-1.jpg

And the end result:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/xzaryjr/P4200107-1.jpg

I hope you like.

J

this post is worthless without BIGGER PIX :thumbs up:

Great lookin grub as best I can tell, but humor us old blind farts, use Photobucket and post em big.

I agree, there is nno flavor like the flavor of meat cooked over a hardwood fire. Must be some kinda throwback to the caveman era.:shrug:

BigAL
04-26-2009, 06:26 AM
:whathesaid:

Looks good, even if the pics are on the small side....at least they are pics.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Looks good, even if the pics are on the small side....at least they are pics.:thumbs up:

BigAL
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Your right J, size does matter.........just ask her.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I like those pic's better. Looks good!:thumbs up::drooling::drooling::drooling:

Joneser
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice looking Meat, J! I like the pix!

Just J
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I mean its fixed! Fixed! Fixed! :cheer:
The auger wasn't moving anymore because it was so clogged up I had to unscrew it all of the way out, and use a 20" drill bit to dig though the "pelletcret" , but I finally got it unjammed. I also replaced the hot rod as it was not staying hot.

Yesterday, I cooked a roasting chicken for supper before the race and today I have four pork tenderloins on to take for lunches this week.

Too bad someone at work that has been eating my lunches, made me sick. I don't feel like eating, but it is great to use the Traeger again.

J

Butt Lover's
05-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

I bought some Treager pellets at Sportsmans Warehouse because they are going out of buisness and they were cheap. They had a ton of dust in them. I just dig out what I don't use and use the shop vac to clean out my auger when I am done. Seems to work good :)

SmokyOkie
05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I mean its fixed! Fixed! Fixed! :cheer:
The auger wasn't moving anymore because it was so clogged up I had to unscrew it all of the way out, and use a 20" drill bit to dig though the "pelletcret" , but I finally got it unjammed. I also replaced the hot rod as it was not staying hot.

Yesterday, I cooked a roasting chicken for supper before the race and today I have four pork tenderloins on to take for lunches this week.

Too bad someone at work that has been eating my lunches, made me sick. I don't feel like eating, but it is great to use the Traeger again.

J

:thumbs up: