PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish season?

BigAL
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm guess'n it's crawfish season, just got an email from a site that sells them. I'd sure like to see some pic's of a boil......would cost me $86.95 for 15#'s delivered.:wow: A bit high for the 4 of us..........and I hate wal-mart's frozen chinese crawfish.

Anyone out there cook'n any yet?

SmokyOkie
04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Here's (https://www.lacrawfish.com/Checkout/Default.aspx) a kit for $20 less. Why don't you just build or buy a trap, bait it up and put it in one of your tailwater pits, or the local creek?

If you order some, don;t forget the fresh gulf shrimp. they'll spoil you for the grocery store ones.

Butt Lover's
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
We had a little pond that we sained for crawfish. We used them for catfish bait - never ate them. Thats my random thought of the day.

PigCicles
04-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Depends on how high up the food chain you are if you are bait or not ... just a counter random thought :msn-wink:

BigAL
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Here's (https://www.lacrawfish.com/Checkout/Default.aspx) a kit for $20 less. Why don't you just build or buy a trap, bait it up and put it in one of your tailwater pits, or the local creek?

If you order some, don;t forget the fresh gulf shrimp. they'll spoil you for the grocery store ones.

Tim, do you not remember where I'm from? :smack:Closest creek is 30+ miles away......and you can step over it.:tap:

You need to come up here some time, maybe someday I can fly ya up here.:msn-wink: We just got our first bit of moisture since Nov. this weekend, we got an inch over 2 days.....it's great I'm not complain'n.

Tailwater pits are also a thing of the past out here. If you let water run like that your just ask'n for trouble. Water, out here, is as hard to find as a ........I better just stop there, eh?

SmokyOkie
04-14-2009, 09:13 PM
How do you irrigate?

cowgirl
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Not sure how Al does it, but there are a lot of wells and irrigation sprinklers in Western Ks.

BA_LoKo
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
How do you irrigate?

Up where he is, they use a "higher power" to irrigate. Average annual rainfall is somewhere around 18" (on a good year).

We'll hear him hooting with laughter down this way if they ever get indoor plumbing up his way.

I don't think he gets Saturdays news until sometime on Monday evening. :shrug:

:stir:

SmokyOkie
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Not sure how Al does it, but there are a lot of wells and irrigation sprinklers in Western Ks.

When he said no tailwater pits, I figured it was either center pivot or crop insurance, one or the other.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

BigAL
04-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Mostly sprinklers, but there is some flood. When you flood irrigate you pull up a dike at the bottom and "try" to keep it in the field. When it ends up in old tailwater pits it doesn't take long to dry up. I dont know anyone anymore who has a pump in their pit, it's just not very efficient. Plus the wells are drop'n in gpm and it's expensive to pump it once let alone twice(the water from pits).

Mostly dryland in my area....and yep, it is mostly dry land.:D