PDA

View Full Version : The Next Step of My Project

matt4467
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Well it has been a very busy week here at our house. We prepped, painted & COOKED ON our new pit! (kinda like we came, we saw, we enjoyed.. well that's kinda like what happened here) And the results were GREAT! And here are a few pics to prove it..

The pics will kind of guide you through the process this week. the first is me putting the "G" on top of the stack. Then it shows it with primer on it, then it goes to the first layer of paint - the orange, then it shows the fade of the yellow into the orange. Then we added the diamond plate. And we cooked on it.. My wife rubbed up a brisket & we smoked it for about 14 hours, and she rubbed up some Baby Backs & Spare Ribs and they smoked about 6 hours, then she made some good sweet baked beans & tater salad.. Good eatin'!!

We aren't done with it yet, we still need to get the floor finished under the pit, this is where the wood storage box will be, and we need to get another piece of diamond plate to finish out the wood storage doors & under the fire box. Then we need to fabricate our butcher block counter tops, the hand washing sink, the water tank........... well there is too much to list one by one, but I will post pics as we go along..

The firebox is the perfect size, I am able to work the fire very well and it's not cramped.. don't have to work yourself to death trying to tend the fire.. There is also a pic to let you see the openings at the ends of the pit to get the reverse flow action.

BA_LoKo
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Matt, that is coming along nicely!

Joneser
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Man, that is looking great, Matt! Can't wait to see it completed.

chadd17
04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Great job! It looks like it cooks good too :thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Looking good matt :)

jerry516planes
04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice Job! I am glad it turned out so nice. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Great lookin smoker, and Jeez, that trailer is built like a brick porta potty!

How does the flow work on it? Is it fire in the middle of the back and then around either end?

Also, are those counterbalances on the lids? What are they made from?

PigCicles
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Great Stallion Smokers! Nice Job Matt! It looks like it gets the job nicely done too. Can't wait to see that bad boy all finished up. :thumbs up:

matt4467
04-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi all, Matt's wife (Kristen) here.. I have signed up for my own login, but I am waiting on approval.. He is on the boat, so i thought I would answer for him.. LOL.. and he doesn't even know.. :msn-wink: But I do know ALL about the smoker, since I have been with him every, and I mean every step of this project.

Great lookin smoker, and Jeez, that trailer is built like a brick porta potty!

How does the flow work on it? Is it fire in the middle of the back and then around either end?

Also, are those counterbalances on the lids? What are they made from?

As a matter of fact it is built like a brick porta potty.. the darn thing was heavy before we put the pit & fire box on, but actually we got very lucky, it is so well balanced that when we take it off the hitch it just sits there, leveled out. Pure luck guys.. or maybe dumb luck.. LOL

The flow works like this, it comes out of the firebox which is located in the back centered in the pit, the heat then travels through five 6" square tubes and flows into the pit. There is a water tray in the middle with the ends open on both ends where the heat/smoke flows across the meat trays and up to the stack that is in the middle. Hope I explained it well enough.. if not let me know and I will take some more pics & post them.

And yes, those are the counter balances on the lids. We purchased them at Triple S Steel in Houston on their clearance isle if you can believe it. They are cast steel, originally made for table legs for picnic tables I think.. but I liked them.. so I got them.. The handles for all the doors & the stack were on the clearance isle too.. I am a cheap girl you see and if I can get it on clearance it just makes it that much better. Actually there are several "girly" touches added to the pit just for me.. If you wanna know why, just ask Matt.. And there are several more "girly" touches to come.. :woohoo:

I hope this helps guys.. let me know if you wanna see more, since I am at home and can get whatever you need or want to see.

Matt's Girl (Kristen)

And :sign0092:for all the kind words & help you all have given!

cowgirl
04-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow that looks great! Nice looking smoker and food! :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi all, Matt's wife (Kristen) here.. I have signed up for my own login, but I am waiting on approval.. He is on the boat, so i thought I would answer for him.. LOL.. and he doesn't even know.. :msn-wink: But I do know ALL about the smoker, since I have been with him every, and I mean every step of this project.

As a matter of fact it is built like a brick porta potty.. the darn thing was heavy before we put the pit & fire box on, but actually we got very lucky, it is so well balanced that when we take it off the hitch it just sits there, leveled out. Pure luck guys.. or maybe dumb luck.. LOL

The flow works like this, it comes out of the firebox which is located in the back centered in the pit, the heat then travels through five 6" square tubes and flows into the pit. There is a water tray in the middle with the ends open on both ends where the heat/smoke flows across the meat trays and up to the stack that is in the middle. Hope I explained it well enough.. if not let me know and I will take some more pics & post them.

And yes, those are the counter balances on the lids. We purchased them at Triple S Steel in Houston on their clearance isle if you can believe it. They are cast steel, originally made for table legs for picnic tables I think.. but I liked them.. so I got them.. The handles for all the doors & the stack were on the clearance isle too.. I am a cheap girl you see and if I can get it on clearance it just makes it that much better. Actually there are several "girly" touches added to the pit just for me.. If you wanna know why, just ask Matt.. And there are several more "girly" touches to come.. :woohoo:

I hope this helps guys.. let me know if you wanna see more, since I am at home and can get whatever you need or want to see.

Matt's Girl (Kristen)

And :sign0092:for all the kind words & help you all have given!

Better check your email Kristen. I think I see you in the member's list.

And Yes< You explained it very very well. I now recall earlier pix and totally understand.

It would be OK if you registered as Kristen, but Matt's girl is OK too.

If the trailer tongue just sits there, you will prolly want to add some weight to the tongue by adding weight to the front of the trailer.

If you don't have at least 1003 or so tongue weight, the trailer will begin to sway back and forth at highway speeds.

When you get a chance to, please stop by the "C'mon in and sit down"forum and give yourself a formal introduction!

Matt's Girl
04-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Well I got accepted! :woohoo:

As far as adding weight to the front of the trailer, no fear, there will be more weight added. we are adding a water tank & small bench & the work area..

We have already road tested the trailer & it does great on the highway.. no wandering & such..

Thanks for responding..

jerry516planes
04-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Matt and Kristen,

I was wondering how that Ramsond Welder Plasma cutter was holding up? I have been thinking about getting one? Would you still recommend it?

Also I came across these and thought that you might be interested.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Black-Pearl-Innovations-LLC__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Joneser
04-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Dear God, please tell me one of the "Girly" touches doesn't involve pink paint....

Matt's Girl
04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Now what is wrong with pink paint? I think it would look Kick A**.. and since I am the cook.. welll...:tap:..... But as you can see the colors are orange with the yellow faded down into it.. But, now I can't wait for y'all to see the girly touches to come.. I am grinnin just thinking about it.. LOL..

Jerry, the Ramsond Plasma cutter is working great in my opinion, but Matt uses it more than I do. So I will tell him to post a little something for you about it..

matt4467
04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Jerry I would highly reccomend the ramsond plasma cutter. It works great and a lot cheaper than i have priced Holbart or them other big brands and mine can cut jus as much as them big ones. I just got the cutter though i diddnt get the combo unit.

jerry516planes
04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Jerry I would highly reccomend the ramsond plasma cutter. It works great and a lot cheaper than i have priced Holbart or them other big brands and mine can cut jus as much as them big ones. I just got the cutter though i diddnt get the combo unit.

I was hoping that was the case. The consumables seem to be much more reasonably priced as well. Keep up the good work!!

I really like your pit!! Nice Job!!

jerry516planes
04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
How long can you tread water? 10.55 inches??

WOW

You all OK?

SmokyOkie
04-19-2009, 09:26 PM
We who cooked at the Enid, Okla KCBS event Saturday really appreciate you Texans taking the bullet on the weather for us. We were supposed to get hammered, but all we got was a light sprinkle.

matt4467
04-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Yea it rained for 2 days straight glad we could take the bullet for you during your cook off. Thank god I work on a boat lol we float

Chargrilled
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Yea it rained for 2 days straight glad we could take the bullet for you during your cook off. Thank god I work on a boat lol we float

Stay safe brother, great lookin pit!!!:thumbs up: