PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new 22 1/2" WSM?

tsunami_tommy
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been looking at the WSM. Do you guys think it's worth the $400 that my local Lowe's is selling it for?

jminion
04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I've been looking at the WSM. Do you guys think it's worth the $400 that my local Lowe's is selling it for?

That's the 22 1/2" model right?

BigAL
04-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice info.......ya big POS! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

How about smoke'n somethin on that thing?

(haven't give'n you heck for a long time......your due)

Later

Chargrilled
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
That's the 22 1/2" model right?\

I believe that is the one that he is lookin at.

:shrug: outside of a home built drum, why not:shrug:

tsunami_tommy
04-11-2009, 08:49 AM
ya the 22 1/2 in model.

jminion
04-11-2009, 08:59 AM
The reports are that it cooks like the 18" model (Ihave not cooked on one myself). If that is the case the extra room is nice and we know they are easy to control.

peculiarmike
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Surprised the Okie has not chimed in here, he has one you know. Bought it during his flying trip up here a while back. I took him over to Fire & Smoke and he could not resist the WSM. He has had a couple little issues with it.

ultramag
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Surprised the Okie has not chimed in here, he has one you know. Bought it during his flying trip up here a while back. I took him over to Fire & Smoke and he could not resist the WSM. He has had a couple little issues with it.

Be interested to know what the issues were. Been kinda mulling one of these over. Was thinking about building a smaller drum like I'd mentioned to you Mike, but the capacity is probably what I'm looking for here and I just love sleeping like a baby all night and waking up 3-5 hours from fresh smoked brisket for lunch.

I don't know who I'm kidding, the babies can't even sleep like babies around here anymore. :msn-wink:

peculiarmike
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Nothing big. I think the body was out of round a bit maybe.
Brother Okie, where are you????

SmokyOkie
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Sorry so late to chime in.

I had a bit of a time getting them to fix the situation.

When I first got itm the barrel was out of round. they said the part would be on backorder, yet they continued to ship out new units.

I finally managed to climb the ladder far enough ( along with quite a bit of negative internet publicity) and got to the Customer service manager.

She managed to find one of the non existent parts and sent it to me. then I found out the bottom bowl was out of round as well. we were about a month into the situation by now, all the while they are shipping out brand new units.

I finally convinced her to have them check out both the barrel ( they call it the center ring) and the bowl and find a pair of them that fit right, and after about 6 weeks of screwing around with them, I had a unit that fit together right.

How does it cook now? I don't know. I kinda lost interest and have been so busy that I haven't cooked anything on it since I got it.:blushing::shrug:

It cooked fine before I got it fixed, it just ate a lot of charcoal because it wasn't air tight.

I never owned a small WSM, so I can;t really compare the two, but I would say that other than the amount of cooking space, it prolly cooks just about exactly like it's little brother, but uses more fuel, which one would expect.

It has to be the king of the bullets. Just be sure that the bowl and barrel fit together perfectly before you buy one. I suspect that they have quite a few out there that don't.

Just my :twocents:

Chargrilled
04-17-2009, 05:36 AM
I don't know who I'm kidding, the babies can't even sleep like babies around here anymore. :msn-wink:

:roflmaoha0: too funny Chad!!!

I know folks on other sites swear by them.:shrug: If they are anywhere near as efficient as the weber kettles that thing should rock. The kettles were almost as efficient as my drum, close er down and out she goes.

I guess one question that came up in a conversation with Tommy was refueling the unit. Or is the capacity such that you load it and it will burn for 24 hrs:shrug:

SmokyOkie
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM
There is a door on the side for refueling. If you use water, you will burn more fuel thatn a drum because you have more mass to maintain heat in.

At best though, I don't think they are as fuel efficient as a drum no matter what you do.

Sherm
12-31-2009, 10:27 PM
I've regularly use both the 18" and 22" WSM. Some observations-
-The 22" is not as fuel efficient as the 18" I think it uses 1.5-2 times the fuel and I have to add fuel more often.
-Air flow is greater in the 22 but I can't quantify it.
-The 22" is more difficult to cook with in windy weather. Cooking in the cold with no wind is a snap, just like the 18.
-The larger size give you much greater flexibility when cooking. For example, you can lay two slabs of spares down side by side on the top rack and the door is large enough to put pans of beans on the lower rack without taking the top off.
-The charcoal grate interferes with closing the bottom air vents making it a bit harder to shut the vents and fire down.
-The water pan is wider than any foil I've available so it is more difficult to line the pan with foil and keep it clean. Too easy for water to leak underneath the foil.
-The added size makes larger cuts much easier to cook. No need to fold ribs around or prop the middle of a brisket up so the ends don't stretch off the grate.

These were off the top of my head.
My 18" is 10 or 15 years old so I find the improved door and built in thermometer are a nice touch. I see the new 18" has them too. My 18" door is about worn out so I may check to see if the new door fits the old WSM. The heat shield is nice for the lawyers but the concrete under my WSMs rarely burns.

SmokyOkie
12-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Put a Guru on the big one and it will use less fuel than the little one.

swamprb
01-22-2010, 04:51 AM
I bought a Cajun Bandit kettle conversion and a 22" WSM and of the two I prefer using the Cajun Bandit. I like the fact that I can use the rotisserie ring with it or if I want to grill, the lid fits the bowl.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_1079.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_1088.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_1163.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_1103.jpg

Fits on a Performer with no mods.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/CajunBandit/IMG_1212.jpg

Personally I think the 22" WSM is a fuel hog, I run mine with a dry waterpan and a pizza stone for a heat sink, and it takes a while to get up to temp, but when it does it cruises. Its primarily our rib cooker for comps and its done well for us. At home I use a small charcoal ring or an 18" WSM charcoal ring. Never done any long cooks with it or hooked the Guru up to it, but for turbo cooking the Guru would be the way to go.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_1189_1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/IMG_1181_1.jpg

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm with you Brian. I like the side door better too.

swamprb
01-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm with you Brian. I like the side door better too.

Have you seen these?
http://shop.cajunbandit.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

I got the the 22" WSM bundled Upgrade kit. If anyone is interested there is a coupon code "VWB" you can enter at the checkout for $10 off (basically Free shipping)
The charcoal ring has raised legs that keep the vents from accidently shutting, if you havent done that mod. The probe grommets are similar to Stoker eyelets, and the Stainless door is tight and solid.

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 11:09 PM
If I still had my WSM, I'd be all over that stuff.

Great resource! Thanx for sharing.

Vermin99
01-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I replaced the side door on my 18 and the cajun bandit door is far superior than the Weber one.

tomshoots
01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I was considering the 22.5 WSM once upon a time. I posted the question

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3830

Note the response from TQJ members. I've been drummin' ever since. I really like the looks of that Canjun Bandit kettle conversion though.

SmokyOkie
01-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I was considering the 22.5 WSM once upon a time. I posted the question

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3830

Note the response from TQJ members. I've been drummin' ever since. I really like the looks of that Canjun Bandit kettle conversion though.

I think this :"Whatever else you eventually do, build a drum now." is what I said.

I don;t know why anyone would construe that to mean you shouldn;t also have a WSM.:shrug::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

No such thing as too many choices is there?

tomshoots
01-24-2010, 07:49 AM
I think this :"Whatever else you eventually do, build a drum now." is what I said.

I don;t know why anyone would construe that to mean you shouldn;t also have a WSM.:shrug::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

No such thing as too many choices is there?

No one did. Choice is good. That's why I'm considering the Bandit.:roflmaoha0:

ShooterRick
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
A similar smoker I have been looking at at about 30% less is the ProQ excell 20. If anyone has any experience with these please chime in. Would be using it primarily for poultry when my Lang is full of butts and briskets. LOL
Shooter

BurntEndDick
04-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Absolutely! Greatest thing since Cream Of Wheat....

Capt Dan
04-05-2010, 12:59 AM
A similar smoker I have been looking at at about 30% less is the ProQ excell 20. If anyone has any experience with these please chime in. Would be using it primarily for poultry when my Lang is full of butts and briskets. LOL
Shooter

That makes 2 of us rick.:shrug:

SmokyOkie
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
About 3 years ago, I visited with one of the guys that started that company.

If he is true to his word, they are well made units and very functional as well..

I also remember hearing though, that its odd diameter makes Weber replacement grates not a viable option, and I can see where getting the right sized grates could be difficult.

Why not just keep a Backwoods Chubby on hand?