PDA

View Full Version : Critique this one

SmokyOkie
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
This is the pork turn box from Stillwater

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Stillwater%202009%20team%20pic%20and%20chicken%20t urn%20in/porkturninstillwater2009.jpg

Bbq Bubba
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Wheres the meat???

Fill that box up boys! :msn-wink:

Bbq Bubba
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
That comment was after a 2 second glance, about what a judge gets before they dish out the food.

Some advice i would give....

Don't dump the sauce ON the meat, run the meat thru the sauce before boxing.

The Parsley box looks decent, why even bother with lettuce?

I don't see any bark??? Thats where most of the flavor is.

Bigger chunks and again, fill that box! :msn-wink:

Bbq Bubba
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Another example, don't mind the sauce, it was something you guys would NEVER use! :msn-wink:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2431/mtmorriscomp016.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mtmorriscomp016.jpg)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Parsley looks like chit here but the box scored very well!

cabinetmaker
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
That comment was after a 2 second glance, about what a judge gets before they dish out the food.

Some advice i would give....

Don't dump the sauce ON the meat, run the meat thru the sauce before boxing.

The Parsley box looks decent, why even bother with lettuce?

I don't see any bark??? Thats where most of the flavor is.

Bigger chunks and again, fill that box! :msn-wink:

That is just what we did!

Joneser
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Other than the amount of sauce, I think it looks pretty good.
I do like the bark in Bubba's I think if you had a little more bark to your presentation, it would give you a little higher presentation score. I'm in no way schooled on comps and judging, just my own preference.

peculiarmike
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Can't taste it so how can I vote accurately?
Lotta sauce and on top. After sitting a while and being jostled around you could almost get dinged for "pooled sauce". Mix it in with the meat.
Like I said about the 5 rib box - put in a lot more than needed so it is FULL.
The sliced/pulled combo is good. Some like sliced, some like pulled. The guy next to me last Saturday liked sliced and said he didn't care for pulled. But he tried both.

BYBBQ
04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Good looking box. Garnish is full and neat, adds to the overall appearance very nicely.

What I see is not enough meat in the box.
This is just a personal view but I don't like sliced chunks in a pork turn-in box, but this wouldn't take away any points.
Pieces of pulled meat too small. Bigger pieces and more of it would really make it look better.
Also using bigger pieces with bark for the judges to get a good taste of the meat and I would want them to taste the pop of the spices, plus it would look better with the dark and light colored contrast of the meat with bark and meat without bark. It that box most judges are going to grab a piece of the sliced meat ( without any bark ) because it's the easiest to pick out of the box and maybe not get that pop of the spices that is in the bark.
From the picture it looks like the meat was run through the sauce and then after it was put in the box, more sauce was spooned over the top of the meat. This made it look like sauce was just poured on ( too much sauce ) and took away from the neatness of the box.

Overall a good box. I gave the box an 8...........JMHO

SmokyOkie
04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Nowhere near enough meat, too much sauce, money meat medallions irregular and crumbling, shreds too small.

Just my:twocents:

BA_LoKo
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
To me, the meat does appear to have been dredged in sauce, as well as having additional sauce spooned over the top of it prior to turn in. It needs to be more even in appearance. I'd recommend not added sauce at the end, but if you must, make sure it's evenly coated and not too heavy. As to quanity: I would have to agree that there should have been more meat in that box. Not only do you want the flavor to "pop", like Jim mentioned, you want there appetite to "pop" when the box is opened before them.

I scored your presentation a 7.

chef schwantz
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Sauce seemed thick and irregular, And it seemed as though there was mpre green than meat. Seems to me that hte sauce should be an even, consistant coating, rather than poured on to "self level". Not trying to be nitpicky, just providing input as requested.:twocents::twocents:

SmokyOkie
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Jeremy did a similar presentation last fall and pulled a 175 score. He didn't put as much sauce on top, but rather just a drizzle for sheen and i bit of pizzazz.

This box has a lot more extra sauce on it.

Butt Lover's
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Box looks very good. Agree with the sauce comment and I would put more pulled meat in it. I gave it an 8.

BigAL
04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm no judge, never been to a comp...but I've seen quite a few on the net and tv/utube. I gave it a 6 as it looks like too much sauce, not full of meat, and no bark samples. The nice green parsley does give a nice contrast in color.......just lack'n meat.

Why no bark samples, too dry?

With all due respect, to me I'd think someone was try'n to add flavor to a poor product by add'n so much sauce. :shrug:

Look at me........the new KCBS pork judge....not.

Just an opinion, Tim. If you'd win them all it wouldn't be any fun!

:thumbs up:

glued2it
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Jeremy did a similar presentation last fall and pulled a 175 score. He didn't put as much sauce on top, but rather just a drizzle for sheen and i bit of pizzazz.

This box has a lot more extra sauce on it.

yea I mentioned before It was oversauced I put the wrong sauce mixture before hand and had to add the extra.

The money meat was a lot smaller this round.

I will definatly do the sauce like I did with the 175 score next time.
The shreads were actually larger this time.:shrug:

There is a lot of bark in there but the sauce covers it up.

The lettuce that bubba mentioned was only for the chicken so there would be more room in the clam shell.

All in all there were at least 6 distiguisable pieces:roflmaoha0:

Thanks for all the coments

TX Sandman
04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
:shrug: Not much for me to add that hasn't already been said:

1. Box looks empty. Needs to be fuller, IMO, for appeal.
2. Slices appear to be placed in there loosely. Should be lined up better, again IMO.
3. Sauce is a bit thick and pooled over the top. It hides the meat beneath, and to me would cover the taste of the meat beneath.

SmokyOkie
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Your O is what we wanted Rob.

Thanx for sharing it.:msn-wink:

SmokinOkie
04-22-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd give it a 6

I see ZERO bark and that tells me something. I'm not thinking taste tenderness yet, but I'm thinking where's the color?

As stated, it's oversauce and not enough meat.

Put about 10 times the pulled and a whole bunch more slices and appearance would go up.

FILL the box.

crewdawg52
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Another example, don't mind the sauce, it was something you guys would NEVER use! :msn-wink:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2431/mtmorriscomp016.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mtmorriscomp016.jpg)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Parsley looks like chit here but the box scored very well!

Was that pig just shot!? Looks like its still bleeding!!!!!:wo::eek:;)

crewdawg52
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
5. Looks small, sauce glopped on, no bark. Looks shredded instead of
pulled.