PDA

View Full Version : We have been asked and we ...

Partyshack BBQ
04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
finally accepted a paying gig. We cook a lot for work and we are doing for work on May 1st . The Backwoods is scheduled to be here on the 29th. (earlier would be better Tim) :msn-wink:

Anyways, we accepted the paying gig on the same weekend as boots and bbq. I am sad about that but oh well. 100 people for a graduation party, should be fun. We also accepted another on the 4th of July. Not super excited about this since it will be 250 people +/-. We have a meeting with the client on the first one to discuss the menu. I hope they don't want ribs. Don't get me wrong our ribs are good but they just don't yield enough meat compared to a butt or flat.

What do most charge per head for butt, brisk, sausage, slaw, potato salad, asian salad, and our famous beans? Drinks are on them. We have to figure costs for the items still, especially since we haven't finalized the menu.

I want to offer samies, pulled pork , sausage, and Brisket for the meats.

cowgirl
04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I can't help you with the pricing, but congratulations on the job! Good luck to you. :)

Joneser
04-02-2009, 05:06 AM
There is a cool spreadsheet Here (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2274&postcount=3) That NascarChuck posted a while back...pretty cool tool for figuriing protions and cost/profit

jminion
04-02-2009, 10:33 AM
We charge cost X 4 or 5 depending on the menu.

Three meats and 4 sides is a big menu for a single catering, also there will be people that don't eat the three meats you are offering but will eat chicken. Chicken is a money maker for a caterer. You also have to look at what the market we support when it comes to prices.

Good luck, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Partyshack BBQ
04-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess we are doing this. LOL I keep telling my partner is this I should have just bought the Piglet from Tim. I had no clue we were going to do this. We get asked all the team but we (I) always turn them down and he convinced me to try these two.

So a local BBQ place went out of biz and we went shopping. Boy we made out. I'll tell you what. We got two large stainless prep tables, cambros to rest the meat in and assorted stainless items to serve , marinate, mix and what not. We are set. We get to load betsy back on the trailer, and wait for the Backwoods.

Oh yeah and we changed our name since the work team is the Meat puppets. We are now Party shack bbq. I am doing the logo now and will be doing the website next week. I will post pic of the logo. I have a couple that I am working on.

SmokyOkie
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Cost x 5 is not a bad idea. Remember, the spread sheet ( at least as best i could tell) doesn't factor in equipment cost, transportation, your time, etc.

Also, remember that you may try it and decide it really isn;t for you. I have no interest in doing food service work having done it before.

I enjoy cooking when I want, what I want and for who I want. I do not enjoy cooking on demand.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I had been asked to cater. I have cooked for large #s of people before, and will not do it for $ any more. I don't need the $ that bad.

Good luck yto you and I hope you enjoy it.

BTW, who went out of business and why did my phone not ring?

Also BTW, I tried to talk you into the Piglet, and I also know where there is one for sale.

Partyshack BBQ
04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Cost x 5 is not a bad idea. Remember, the spread sheet ( at least as best i could tell) doesn't factor in equipment cost, transportation, your time, etc.

Also, remember that you may try it and decide it really isn;t for you. I have no interest in doing food service work having done it before.

I enjoy cooking when I want, what I want and for who I want. I do not enjoy cooking on demand.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I had been asked to cater. I have cooked for large #s of people before, and will not do it for $ any more. I don't need the $ that bad.

Good luck yto you and I hope you enjoy it.

BTW, who went out of business and why did my phone not ring?

Also BTW, I tried to talk you into the Piglet, and I also know where there is one for sale.

call me tomorrow and I probably can get you in. We just did our stuff and we were one of the first.

Me too we get asked A LOT we have done some work stuff, ok a lot of work stuff. So we know what its like to cook for about 100 . My partner has catered quite a bit

logo done btw

Partyshack BBQ
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Favorite
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/themeatpuppets/partyShackbbqlogo4.png

Second choice
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/themeatpuppets/partyShackbbqlogo4.png

Joneser
04-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Nice looking logo....good luck with your new business!

Partyshack BBQ
04-03-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks. I am going to send it to a pro to have her tune it up

Jake
04-04-2009, 03:59 PM
nice stuff:thumbs up:

Jeff Hughes
04-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think you can get cost times five for basic bbq around here, but cost times four should work.

It takes a lot of cooker space to to pull off that many meats and sides, my 24x72 Klose would be tight for the party of 100. I'd want three cookers of that size for 250.

Watch over loading that Backwoods, they don't like it(don't ask me how I know)...

I have not run the costs, but I bet I would be somewhere over 15.00 per head for that meal.

Don't even consider doing the job without insurance...

SmokyOkie
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't think you can get cost times five for basic bbq around here, but cost times four should work.

It takes a lot of cooker space to to pull off that many meats and sides, my 24x72 Klose would be tight for the party of 100. I'd want three cookers of that size for 250.

Watch over loading that Backwoods, they don't like it(don't ask me how I know)...

I have not run the costs, but I bet I would be somewhere over 15.00 per head for that meal.

Don't even consider doing the job without insurance...

I prolly wouldn't have asked if you hadn't said not to, but what is the issue with overloading the Backwoods?

I'm a BW dealer, so I suppose I should know the limitations of the units.

chef schwantz
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
thanks. I am going to send it to a pro to have her tune it up

Yeah, you may want to add sometihing like an address, phone number and website info.:twocents::twocents:

Partyshack BBQ
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah we got insurance today a whopping 18.75 per month for the liability coverage. We go to look at the catering trailer on sat and the price is right too.

Jeff,

We aren't cooking everything on the backwoods. I know you have been to our site at the Art. We have a large stick burner as well on a trailer that we will be using. We should have close to 35 sq ft of cook space.

Partyshack BBQ
04-15-2009, 07:18 PM
currently am working on the website. I have it layed out on old parchment paper but need more pics. They will wait until after our fist gig on the 15th.

Butt Lover's
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I need some GL ins., who wrote your policy?

Partyshack BBQ
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I need some GL ins., who wrote your policy?

State Farm - My cousin is my agent

Just started the website

I don't have a lot on it right now but it will soon.

http://www.hughespictures.com/partyshack.htm

Butt Lover's
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Lookin' good so far :)

Partyshack BBQ
04-16-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.partyshackbbq.com/

Pretty much finished until I dig some pics up and we get the menus finished