PDA

View Full Version : Are these edible?

SmokyOkie
04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I found these growing in the ditch around the corner.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Moresl%20Apr%2009/HPIM2290.jpg

does anybody know what they are and if they're edible?:shrug:

Short One
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Tim, You ARE an A$$ to put those nasty things on the Joint. Better send them this way for a quality check.:thumbs up:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Where did you buy them?

antny616
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Okie, are you ok? Did you fall and bump your head? They sell for about 25.00 a lbs round these parts...:msn-wink:

We love them, love them..

SmokyOkie
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I was wondering how many minutes it would take to get a response. I figured you or Mike for the first to respond.

5 minutes. I figurd no more than that.

I wish I could buy them down here. I haven;t picked one since i moved here and I been Jonesin' real bad.

A few years ago I was in the KC area in the middle of morel season and was able to buy some. That was the last fresh morel I've had.

How do you like to fix them?

I was going to use wet batter and fry them whole tomorrow night. they would have been gone tonight, but dinner was close to done when I found them.

PigCicles
04-01-2009, 09:14 PM
He's pullin your chains He knows ... he loves em and i bet they weren't in the ditch either

You silly chain puller you :msn-wink:

Short One
04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Tim, we cut them in half long ways, and soak in a mild salt water for about an hour to hour and a half. Rinse good under cold water and put in a culindar (sp.). Place in fridge, dry, with a container under them to catch the drips. Make up an egg dip as in country fried steak and dip them in and coat with cracker crumbs. Deep fry and enjoy.

Sure wish I had some. Now you got me Jones'n. Steve

antny616
04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
We do em dry... Saltine, egg, salt and pepper and fry in butter/evoo. I have to do about 3 shakes of Tabasco and a cold beer and I am happy, happy, happy.:wings:

antny

SmokyOkie
04-01-2009, 10:14 PM
He's pullin your chains He knows ... he loves em and i bet they weren't in the ditch either

You silly chain puller you :msn-wink:

Actually it was my neighbor Steve (tall guy, thin and kinda reddish hair, remember him?) that made the spot. they were growing in the ditch under a couple of dead elm trees, right where you would expect them to be.

cowgirl
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Dang Tim! Already getting morels in your neck of the woods!! That's great. :thumbs up:

glued2it
04-02-2009, 03:52 AM
April fools or not,

You can find them here in OK.

http://www.morels.com/oklahoma/

I personally have never had them.

Did you find any loopy ones?:silly:

Joneser
04-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Mmmm...they're great sliced, then sauted in butter with a little s&p. I like them best them fried though.

cabinetmaker
04-02-2009, 06:26 AM
They sell for about 25.00 a lbs round these parts...:msn-wink:

Shoot. we got shrooms in Okieland that sell for 25.00 a gram!!! :roflmaoha0::misbehaving:

SmokyOkie
04-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Dang Tim! Already getting morels in your neck of the woods!! That's great. :thumbs up:

Do you get them out your way as well?

Mmmm...they're great sliced, then sauted in butter with a little s&p. I like them best them fried though.

How do you fry them, split, sliced, whole, stem on, or just the cap?

Shoot. we got shrooms in Okieland that sell for 25.00 a gram!!! :roflmaoha0::misbehaving:

You're tellin' on yourself Curt!:roflmaoha0:

Joneser
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I just trim the brown off the end and split them lengthwise. If they're real big, I quarter them lenghtwise.

cowgirl
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Do you get them out your way as well?

How do you fry them, split, sliced, whole, stem on, or just the cap?

You're tellin' on yourself Curt!:roflmaoha0:

Tim, we get them out this way too! I'm still using some that I dried from last season...but I'm just about out of them.

Season should start up here in a week or two. :thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I've never had them. I did see them last weekend at the store but passed on them. I'll give them a shot some day. I've heard nothing but good about them.

peculiarmike
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
They are best served with fried crappie. :msn-wink:

MRH IA
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Another way that is good ist to fry in butter then thicken with some flour to make a gravy. Real tasty and easy that way!