PDA

View Full Version : My First Off Set Build w/Pic's

antny616
03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey everyone, smokin66 and I have jumped into the game and started building our first off set. We both have store bought, upright, gas fired smokers now but not for long. I cant wait to get this done and be able to smoke more than 1 but and 3 racks at a time, I have to admit it is a lot of fun as well. We started on Sat. and we have the fire box mounted and the lid cut out so far. I burned it off on Monday and blasted it today and finished up some welding. We have not decided weather to mount it on a trailer or on some old lawn tractor wheels and tries I have, I guess we will see how it go's. I know from reading that a lot of you have been where I am now. Just starting out and we don't have a lot of experience so I welcome any advice and or suggestions you may have. I will post more pic's as we go.

Thanks for looking, wish me luck.

antny

BA_LoKo
03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
antny, that's coming along nicely. If there's any way you can make it happen, I'd recommend adding a vertical box on the right side. You won't use it on every smoke, but you'll be surprised at how often you would have wished you had it. Your smoker is looking very similar to my stick burner. You can search my posts and find where I've posted pics. Please keep posting your pics.

Are you both building smokers that are identical?

SmokyOkie
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
You've got quite a lot of work ahead of you Antny.

Are you using some pre tested plans, or just kinda wingin it as you go?

chadd17
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
:thumbs up: You are off the good start. Keep those pics coming.

antny616
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
antny, that's coming along nicely. If there's any way you can make it happen, I'd recommend adding a vertical box on the right side. You won't use it on every smoke, but you'll be surprised at how often you would have wished you had it. Your smoker is looking very similar to my stick burner. You can search my posts and find where I've posted pics. Please keep posting your pics.

Are you both building smokers that are identical?

We are both building this together. We live in the same city and have been good friends for years. We plan to inter a local comp in Sep. and want to use the new smoker. I will keep posting....
Thanks for the help.

antny616
03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
You've got quite a lot of work ahead of you Antny.

Are you using some pre tested plans, or just kinda wingin it as you go?

We are WINGIN it. We don't have any tested plans, just what I have picked up on the Joint and what I have seen on the web.

Thanks for looking, I will update as we go.
antny

jerry516planes
04-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Looks like the begining of a great project! Have fun with your build. If I can be af any help fire away. Nice job. Keep the pictures coming. The vertical warmer is nice idea. I am going to add one, but I made that a sub project. Wanted to get up and cooking!!

:thumbs up:

Joneser
04-01-2009, 04:59 AM
Looks good so far! That is one healthy firebox. Nice job on the welding. Looks like you've done it before.

antny616
04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Any suggestions on what gauge / size expanded metal to use? I can get just about any size.

Thanks.

antny

SmokyOkie
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
It's sold by the weight. How many # a sq foot weighs. Heavy doesn't hurt.

I decided that if I were to uild another one I would use heavy gauge wire cloth though.

http://www.howardwire.com/square_mesh.html

matt4467
04-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Im using 9 guage on my big smoker I'm building I used it on our little pit and it bowed a little bit but its not welded to a frame either.

antny616
04-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Im using 9 guage on my big smoker I'm building I used it on our little pit and it bowed a little bit but its not welded to a frame either.

Thanks Matt, I am going to use the same thing and weld it real good. I was worried about the steel bowing as well but I think if I weld right it should be ok.
Thanks for the info..

antny

SmokyOkie
04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
What is the thickness of 9 ga metal?

jerry516planes
04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Matt, I am going to use the same thing and weld it real good. I was worried about the steel bowing as well but I think if I weld right it should be ok.
Thanks for the info..

antny

The trick to not bowing is move around. Weld a couple in inches then move to the opposite side. Let things cool and besure that you have plenty of good tacks to keep things aligned. 9 gauge steel is pretty thin and will worp pretty signficantly, if you are not careful to move around. The idea is kind of like changing a car tire. Work around your project the same way.

BA_LoKo
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
The trick to not bowing is move around. Weld a couple in inches then move to the opposite side. Let things cool and besure that you have plenty of good tacks to keep things aligned. 9 gauge steel is pretty thin and will worp pretty signficantly, if you are not careful to move around. The idea is kind of like changing a car tire. Work around your project the same way.

I agree. The thinner the metal, the more it will warp. Stitch welding is what I would recommend. Keep in mind that metal of any thickness moves when it is heated. The trick is to weld a couple inches and then move to another area. As a rule of thumb, standard carbon steal (A36) will move approximately 1/8" of an inch for every 10 feet when hot. That may not seem like a lot, but it will certainly make your welds fail.

SmokyOkie
04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
But does anybody know what the thickness of 9 ga steel is?

BA_LoKo
04-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, 9 gage is .15625. Just a touch under 3/16".

antny616
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys, welded some of the expanded this weekend and had no problems. Gunna try and get the lid mounted on Tues. and will post some updated pic's.

Thanks again.

antny

jerry516planes
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
But does anybody know what the thickness of 9 ga steel is?

( guage is 0.150 more or less-about 1/8"

SmokyOkie
04-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes, 9 gage is .15625. Just a touch under 3/16".

That's a good deal thicker than a lot of commercially available units.