PDA

View Full Version : Events question.

Butt Lover's
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Last night I cooked 2 butts and 9 racks of ribs to feed my crew today. I was using it as a trial run for some small events I have coming up next month. I cooked my butts and ribs to about 90% of 'done' and vacu-seeled them. I took them to work and put in an Alot Shaam catering warmer at about 200 three hours before lunch. Needless to say we had a post shift bbq instead of a lunch bbq.

Are you guys cooking the meat all the way if you are cooking off site or the night before?

Any advise?

Bbq Bubba
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Cook it all the way, then your just warming up to 140ish instead of cooking! :thumbs up:

jminion
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Cook the butts to 195 internal, so they feel tender. Pull into thumb size chunks. The ribs cook to tender, slide a toothpick between the bones, should feel like it is going into room temp butter.

Cool both down as fast as possible, need to get to 40 or lower in 4 hours.

On reheat take the internal to 160*

SmokyOkie
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
What is an alot shaam warmer? A steam table?

ER heating high volume is an issue for me. with small volume, a microwave works well, but you can;t do that with large quantities.

The next issue is heating evenly and thoroughly and not continuing to cook.

I have had success with reheating at 225, but it takes a lot of shuffling and care. the pork, I would think would need pulled before heating and re mixed frequently.

Reheating time would also need to count toward total holding time as well.

Let's see what MR big cook caterer Minion has to say.

chef schwantz
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Cook the butts to 195 internal, so they feel tender. Pull into thumb size chunks. The ribs cook to tender, slide a toothpick between the bones, should feel like it is going into room temp butter.

Cool both down as fast as possible, need to get to 40 or lower in 4 hours.

On reheat take the internal to 160*

Technically in my state, you have 2 hours to cool from 140 to 70, and then 4 hours from 70 to 41 or less. For reheating, you have 2 hours to bring the temp to 165.
That being said, I think you might have better luck cooking fully and holding the PP at 140 or greater in a vac bag. Ribs are a coin flip. Not telling you what to do, Just want you to do it in a safe way.:twocents::twocents:

Butt Lover's
03-24-2009, 10:27 PM
What is an alot shaam warmer?

http://www.midwaypartyrental.com/images/products/food-transport-elect-6ft-warm-n-hold-as1000UP.jpg

Butt Lover's
03-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys :)

Jake
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
i cook it then bring it.... but i don't cater either, the fresher the better imho