PDA

View Full Version : My Chili

Paymaster
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I did chili last nite for a chili contest at work tomorrow. Recipe and pic.

My Quick Chili
Three whole onions diced and sauteed
2.0 lbs Ground Beef browned
after browning add onions to the beef
Add 2 cans of Ranch Style Beans
2 cans of diced Mexican Style tomatoes
1 table spoon of white vinegar
1/2 jar of hot Salsa
Everything else is to taste(I did not measure anything else)
Home ground Chili Powder(ground dried chilies)
Onion salt
Garlic salt
Ground black pepper
Cumin
Lime juice

Cook on low until desired consistency

Joneser
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM
That looks great! I'll bet that eats pretty good!

Chargrilled
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
looks mighty fine

let us know how you make out. I was a judge at a comp 2 weeks ago, best job, free brew and chili, I made out!!!

Wait for the texas boys to chime in on the beans!!!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::stir:

peculiarmike
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Good looking pot of chili. Chili is what YOU make of it.
Good luck in the contest! :thumbs up:

BYBBQ
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
That looks like some very tasty chili.:drooling::drooling:

Paymaster
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
looks mighty fine

let us know how you make out. I was a judge at a comp 2 weeks ago, best job, free brew and chili, I made out!!!

Wait for the texas boys to chime in on the beans!!!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::stir:

Well,ya know it's Gawga chili not Texas. Beside,Georgia folk won't eat chili if it ain't got beans.:D

Chargrilled
03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Well,ya know it's Gawga chili not Texas. Beside,Georgia folk won't eat chili if it ain't got beans.:D

Same way up here in the midwest brother. I looked up comp chili and got the book thrown at me years back. It is for sure all about region!!

PS I also use the ranch style beans in my concoxtion.:thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Same way up here in the midwest brother. I looked up comp chili and got the book thrown at me years back. It is for sure all about region!!

PS I also use the ranch style beans in my concoxtion.:thumbs up:

Yankee chili, huh? :stir:

Paymaster, I'd eat that chili. It looks great!

Buzzards Roost
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, Well, Well. Beans huh. Did you say beans with meat?:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd eat it:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks great. What kinda dried chilis did you use?

I like beans in chili as well. I looked into doing competitive chili cooks a few years ago, and when I found out that both sanctioned cook off organizations regarded beans as a filler, I decided they just really didn't understand beans or chili either one.

chadd17
03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Good lookin pot of chili. :thumbs up:

cowgirl
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I agree...good looking pot of chili! :thumbs up:

chef schwantz
03-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Beanlesss chili is good for hotdogs IMO. What fun is chili without the "chorus" that follows.:msn-wink:

Jake
03-24-2009, 01:19 AM
i make chili different ways.... sometimes the ones with out the chit make it better, its not always about the beans??? the love makes it IMHO :blushing:

Bassman
03-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Great looking pot of chili! Need some sourdough bread to go with that?:msn-wink:

Paymaster
03-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Great looking pot of chili! Need some sourdough bread to go with that?:msn-wink:
Oh yeah,sourdough bread is my favorite. Everyone that has sampled it here seems to like it alot. We will see how it goes over.

Thanks Y'all.

Jake
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
now i got a craving for chili:drooling:

Paymaster
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I did not win. Can't help what the judges liked.There were 15 entries and mine was gone first. The masses disagreed with the judges!:thumbs up:

So, I feel good about my stuff.

Paymaster
03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Looks great. What kinda dried chilis did you use?

I like beans in chili as well. I looked into doing competitive chili cooks a few years ago, and when I found out that both sanctioned cook off organizations regarded beans as a filler, I decided they just really didn't understand beans or chili either one.

An equal number of Anchos, guajillos, and cascabells, seeded, stemed, roasted and ground. A friend of mine provided the ground chilies for me.

SmokyOkie
03-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Good friend!

I've never used cascabells, but I used some chiles negros in my last batch, and they were good.

I usually use everything ground except the Pasillas. I soak them and then scrape off the pulp. I do this because the instructions on a bag of them that I bought a long time ago said to do it because the skins can e bitter.

Jake
03-25-2009, 01:01 AM
on my list of to do's this weekend onion rings too mmmmmmmmmmm:drooling:

SmokyOkie
03-25-2009, 10:11 AM
on my list of to do's this weekend onion rings too mmmmmmmmmmm:drooling:

Gptto see some pix if you use the recipe you posted.

I have a good method for bread crumb style rings if anyone is interested in making some of them.

It is as follows:

You need
a ziplock bag with a cup or so of corn starch or wheat flour

A bowl full of pancake batter reduced in half with water and seasoned with salt and onion powder ( I like the granulated kind)

A sheet pan full of Panko bread crumbs

Start with a couple very large onions. Remove the top and slice 3/4" to 1" thick slices.

Separate the slices into rings. If the rings are thin, or if you just want really meaty rings, keep the rings in pairs.

Shake the rings in the corn starch/flour to coat well, then shake to remove all excess.

Next dip the rings in the batter being sure to coat well and place on a rack to drain. The batter is on;y there to act as a glue for the bread crumbs. If you leave too much batter on them, you will end up with bready rings that aren't crisp. On the other hand, if you drain them too well, you will end up with crust that explodes off the rings when you fry them. I suggest that you try a couple before you do them all so that you get a feel for what you want.

Next, as you guessed, give them a good coating of Panko using the wet hand/dry hand method and place them on a rack or sheet of wax paper until ready to fry.

If you, like me, like to have just a few rings when you want them and don't want the hassle of this production line every time you crave some Golden Os, you can freeze them by placing a sheet of wax paper on a sheet pan and laying out a layer of rings, being careful not to allow them to touch eachother. Add another layer of wax paper and another layer of rings, ad infinitum.

After frezzing well, you can remove them from the sheet pan and keep them in a ziplock bag until you want them. I have had good luck keeping them that way for up to 6 mos.

Red Apple Guy
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, I helped Paymaster eat his chili and it was terrific!

Chargrilled
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I have been usin AB's chili powder, good stuff maynard!!! Anyone who has not had homemade chili powder really should take the time to make some, it is WAY better than the typical storebought stuff I can find round these parts.:twocents:

Anyone found a good chili powder off the shelve???:sign0092:

Glad to hear the masses loved the Chili Paymaster!!!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

What really matters is who's crock is empty 1st!!!:msn-wink::msn-wink:

Good thread BTW!

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Directions

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

SmokyOkie
03-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I have been usin AB's chili powder, good stuff maynard!!! Anyone who has not had homemade chili powder really should take the time to make some, it is WAY better than the typical storebought stuff I can find round these parts.:twocents:

Anyone found a good chili powder off the shelve???.

Williams chili powder

Per their website, you can get it here:

http://williamsfoods.com/images/int_vmenu_chili2.png
http://williamsfoods.com/spacer.gif http://williamsfoods.com/spacer.gif http://williamsfoods.com/spacer.gif
http://williamsfoods.com/spacer.gif
Use this tool to find which stores in your state carry any of the William's line of products. Contact that store to determine if they have the specific item you are looking for. But please note, not every store in a chain will have every William's product available.
We now have an online webstore for you to use so click here (http://www.c-els.com/default.asp?sn=E021420060082181) to purchase items though our webstore.

#loctitle { font-size: 14pt; font-weight: bold; font-family: Ariel, Helvetica, sans-serif; } #locator { width: 600px; border: 1px solid black; font-family: Ariel, Helvetica, sans-serif; } #lochead { width: 100%; text-align: center; background-color: #9E0B0E; color: white; border-bottom: 1px solid black; } #leftpanel { width: 200px; float: left; margin: 5px; text-align: left; } #locmap { width: 360px; float: right; margin: 5px; } Store Locator To Find the store nearest you, please choose your state from the following list,
or select it on the map below.
Select a State... ALABAMA ALASKA ARIZONA ARKANSAS CALIFORNIA COLORADO CONNECTICUT DELAWARE FLORIDA GEORGIA HAWAII IDAHO ILLINOIS INDIANA IOWA KANSAS KENTUCKY LOUISIANA MAINE MARYLAND MASSACHUSETTS MICHIGAN MINNESOTA MISSISSIPPI MISSOURI MONTANA NEBRASKA NEVADA NEW HAMPSHIRE NEW JERSEY NEW MEXICO NEW YORK NORTH CAROLINA NORTH DAKOTA OHIO OKLAHOMA OREGON PENNSYLVANIA RHODE ISLAND SOUTH CAROLINA SOUTH DAKOTA TENNESSEE TEXAS UTAH VERMONT VIRGINIA WASHINGTON WEST VIRGINIA WISCONSIN WYOMING MEXICO
Food 4 Less
Jay C
Kroger
Marsh
Martins
Owen's
Pay Less
Scotts
Strack & Van Til
Super Target
Wal-Mart

http://williamsfoods.com/Williams_Chili.php

Chargrilled
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
You put a link and included Wal mart???? OMG:roflmaoha0:

thanks for the info Okie, will give it a shot!

peculiarmike
03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Yep. Williams Chili Seasoning, the only stuff we use.
Made right here.

BA_LoKo
03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Yep. Williams Chili Seasoning, the only stuff we use.
Made right here.

It's the only stuff I use, too. And I've got the best chili in the world. Just ask me. :roflmaoha0:

Jake
03-26-2009, 02:23 AM
hint hint i sure would like to come across some of this Williams Chili Seasoning, wonder how i could do that :blushing: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: paul you get it out your way??

nascarchuck
03-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Paymaster.... Sorry to hear the results of the cookoff...

For what it's worth, I enjoy beans in my chili, but will eat it either way. I'm not picky. I love chili!

Beans, no beans... And yes, I'm a true Texan!

SmokyOkie
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
hint hint i sure would like to come across some of this Williams Chili Seasoning, wonder how i could do that :blushing: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: paul you get it out your way??

Just stop at Sam's when you're here for the get together.

Actually, you can make better yourself. Williams is just the best off the shelf product.