PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb question...

lazy
03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
This is probably something that would be apparent if I knew what I was doing, but I don't, so I'll ask it anyway.

Is all the wood used for smoke completely burned during a smoking session? If not, is it possible to through it in some water to extinguish it and use what's left in another session?

BigAL
03-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think that is a dumb question at all. Is that not similar to charcoal?

Sounds like a good idea to me.......can't do it w/my pellets.:msn-wink:

Heck, give it a try......whatta got to loose?:thumbs up:

Joneser
03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I know the unburned lump I have after a cook in my drum can be re-used. It just needs to have all the oxygen snuffed out. I don't see why you couldn't extinguish the chunks of wood to re-use them....

SmokyOkie
03-22-2009, 09:38 PM
I think I would skip the water and just smother the fire. I re-use unburnt and partially burnt wood and charcoal all the time.

BTW, I think the only stupid question is one that you don't try to answer for yourself before you ask it of others.

chef schwantz
03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
To expand on Okies knowlege, The only dumb question is the one you thought was too stupid to ask.
Snuff it out, but don't waste your time trying to douse it. And then let it sit in the unit. Think about how many times you woke up in the morning to the campfire burning. I had a very ignorent roomate burn down his garage with my stuff in it doing stupid chit with fireplace ashes.

glued2it
03-23-2009, 08:29 AM
This is probably something that would be apparent if I knew what I was doing, but I don't, so I'll ask it anyway.

Is all the wood used for smoke completely burned during a smoking session? If not, is it possible to through it in some water to extinguish it and use what's left in another session?

To answer the question;
Yes, you can, water and all.:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
03-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Just snuff it. No water. Leave it where it is and relight for the next cook.

"Do these pants make my butt look too big?"
THAT'S a dumb question. :bandit:

Chargrilled
03-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I used to "try" to save some of my chunks when I was burnin on the chargriller all the time. dunked in water and put to the side for the next smoke. When I tried to use them again, they were so rank and smelly I couldnt toss them into the pit so I just used new chunks and pitched them.

Now with the drum I just turn off the air on er and within 15min the fire is almost gone with a buncha coals/wood for the next session (spoiled rotten):thumbs up::msn-wink:.

These questions get info out and about that people may not know or have experienced, dont hesitate to post them!!! What the joint is all about! If the question has already been addressed somewhere it is as simple as responding to your question with a link to the thread with the answer, no sweat!!!!

SmokyOkie
03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Now with the drum I just turn off the air on er and within 15min the fire is almost gone with a buncha coals/wood for the next session (spoiled rotten)

Don't count on them being all the way out in that amount of time though.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Just snuff it. No water. Leave it where it is and relight for the next cook.

"Do these pants make my butt look too big?"
THAT'S a dumb question. :bandit:

No Mike, answering it is what's dumb, either way you answer.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
03-23-2009, 04:29 PM
LOL I tried to resist Mike.. I really did but ... Please don't wear a dress. With your figure your butt will always look big :roflmaoha0:

lazy
03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I have an old popcorn tin somewhere I could use as an ash container...that ought to snuff things out pretty well. I'll give it a try.

peculiarmike
03-24-2009, 06:47 AM
LOL I tried to resist Mike.. I really did but ... Please don't wear a dress. With your figure your butt will always look big :roflmaoha0:

Yeah, I KNOW you tried to resist. For a New York second. :tempted: