PDA

View Full Version : New BWS Party

Butt Lover's
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Another new toy, I'm very lucky this year. A big thanks two my two children without them my tax return would have been much smaller :thumbs up:

Tim ( SmokieOkie ) got me a good deal on the Extended Party, so I had to get it. First smoke was okay, it holds the temp real good, I just need to figure it out or hurry up and order the adapter door so I can put my Guru on it!

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr263/ButtLovers/3-20-2009193.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr263/ButtLovers/3-20-2009195.jpg

Jalapeno crusted chicken breats - *****:essen:
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr263/ButtLovers/3-20-2009125.jpg

SmokyOkie
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Good job Mike! Sweet lookin rig too.

Folks, I happen to know that Mike didn't get his hands on this unit until this morning. Looks like he went to work fast!

Did you have any difficulties with the first burn?

Kinda dwarfs the egg doesn't it?

Fatback Joe
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Congrats on the new toy

Partyshack BBQ
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice rig . I wish I had one :tap:

Butt Lover's
03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
No difficulties Tim, I had to tighten the set screw on the upper door a little but no biggie. It's gonna take some time to get used to. I let it burn at 200 for awhile before I opened it up a little and it went to 250, opened it up again and it went to 350. Just took some ribs off it and they were great.

BTW - thanks for talking me into using cherry, the color it gives ribs and chicken is amazing!

Butt Lover's
03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Nice rig . I wish I had one :tap:

I was about to give up on mine, funny how time goes by so slow when you are waiting on something you want really bad :nopity:

Partyshack BBQ
03-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I was about to give up on mine, funny how time goes by so slow when you are waiting on something you want really bad :nopity:
Yeah no doubt. I am grill less and actually converted a old gasser to burn lump/charcoal tonight and getting ready to go out and test how hot I can get it.

SmokyOkie
03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The offer of the loan of a drum is still good.

jerry516planes
03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
They do build a nice pit! I am envious!

Nice grub!!

Partyshack BBQ
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
nah I rather give you @#$@:roflmaoha0:

Did you get a stand with yours

Butt Lover's
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Yea

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr263/ButtLovers/3-20-2009192.jpg

Partyshack BBQ
03-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Is it easy to move around by yourself with the tiedowns. I think I opting for some large casters. I will using it in comps for butts and briskets

peculiarmike
03-21-2009, 07:08 AM
:wow: The Okie sold one! :woohoo:

They are great smokers and the Guru makes them so easy to cook on.
I think yer gonna like it. :msn-wink:

Joneser
03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Nice looking machine! The food looked great too! Congrats on your new arrival!

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Is it easy to move around by yourself with the tiedowns. I think I opting for some large casters. I will using it in comps for butts and briskets

Maximum add on height is 16". I have 6" casters and a 10" stand on mine. We have to hook a strap to the bottom of the stand to roll it on rough ground and pull it like a leash. On flat ground it roll like a champ.

If you want a stand, let me know.

:wow: The Okie sold one! :woohoo:

They are great smokers and the Guru makes them so easy to cook on.
I think yer gonna like it. :msn-wink:

The Okie has sold several.:msn-wink:

Butt Lover's
03-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Is it easy to move around by yourself with the tiedowns.

Not really. It's not that heavy, I'm guessing around 175#, but it's awkward to lift by yourself. I used my dolly and it was easy that way.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Not really. It's not that heavy, I'm guessing around 175#, but it's awkward to lift by yourself. I used my dolly and it was easy that way.
Thats what I was thinking was using a furniture dolly since we will use it at comps. Most of the time the ground is really a variable.

Okie and I did talk about some off road type wheels.

Are you going to use it for comps along with your fec?

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Okie can they put threaded studs on the bottom so I can have a bolt on , bolt off stand?

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Check Harbor Freight for casters. I was just there today and they were cheap.

Okie can they put threaded studs on the bottom so I can have a bolt on , bolt off stand?

The stand just bolts on to the unit Lance.

Butt Lover's
03-21-2009, 05:53 PM
For Stillwater we will probably be using the fec for brisket, the Party for ribs and butts and a BGE for chicken.

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 05:58 PM
That sounds like a plan.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
so the little legs if any just come off?

Your taking all three to the blazeathon. wow

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 09:04 PM
For Stillwater we will probably be using the fec for brisket, the Party for ribs and butts and a BGE for chicken.

We are trying to reduce the amount of smokers we bring out. We have a huge trailer mounted oklahoma joes antique that is great. The owner of that took it off the trailer and put in his backyard at the end of last season. We are going to try to do Bixby without it. Just using the ext party (butts, brisket, and ribs) and a hasty (Chicken). We are trying to reduce the amount of stuff we bring out.

Butt Lover's
03-21-2009, 09:53 PM
The last contest I had to do by myself. I took an XL, 2 Large and a Small BGE, so this is kinda downsizing ;) Thank the man upstairs there was a nice guy from Kansas City who helped me unload the XL, or would have stayed in the trailer!

I did learn a lesson that contest - don't get drunk when you are going solo at a comp!

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
The last contest I had to do by myself. I took an XL, 2 Large and a Small BGE, so this is kinda downsizing ;) Thank the man upstairs there was a nice guy from Kansas City who helped me unload the XL, or would have stayed in the trailer!

I did learn a lesson that contest - don't get drunk when you are going solo at a comp!

I could only imagine on the drunk solo part . we have 5 in our group and would love to make some cuts down to 3. At least with 1 person you don't argue about how or when you want to do things. Now if you get drunk that might be a different story.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Do you feel like the party could do a comp by itself?

Butt Lover's
03-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Once you get you meats timed out you could. I like having two of us for comps, but another person to run the food would be perfect.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Once you get you meats timed out you could. I like having two of us for comps, but another person to run the food would be perfect.

thats what we had. We let him cook the peoples choice and then he runs
it worked perfect

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I think we've decided not to do people's choice anymore. If they want to provide mat, we'll cook it and set it out self serve fashion, but no more big effort on people's choice.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I think we've decided not to do people's choice anymore. If they want to provide mat, we'll cook it and set it out self serve fashion, but no more big effort on people's choice.

We do peoples choice and I would suggest everyone do it. As a former organizer of a event. These events are fundraisers for non profits or chambers. The peoples choice is where they get a good chunk of money. Trust me I see the books. Most of the big comps should have ambassadors that will serve the peoples choice for you.

Tim I just re read your post. What comp did you do that you provided the meat for PC . That is provided by the contest on every contest I have been at.

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
It has been provided, but in attempts to score well we have done even more than what was furnished.

I understand the whole charity thing, but it gets to be so much work that it ceases to be fun.

It's work enough just doing the 4 categories, set up, tear down, lack of sleep, etc.

We have only had one comp supply servers for peoples choice.

Besides, they will sell just as many taster's kits w/o us as they would with.

Partyshack BBQ
03-21-2009, 11:07 PM
I agree but we also use it as a place to get rid of the comp stuff because after a weekend of smoke, smoked food, drinking, and lack of sleep. We don't want to take any bbq home with us. People that come to camp eat it but we have tons left over. So we give it away in pc rather than take it home. I would love to not do PC since I stepped down from the board of that one comp, but our runner wants to cook and thats his gig. Oh well.