PDA

View Full Version : A true Mexican salsa

Richtee
03-16-2009, 06:32 AM
La Parilla Arbol Chile Salsa

Although it is called a salsa, this recipe is very thin, like a sauce. It is excellent spooned over just about any kind of grilled meat.

Recipe From : La Parilla the mexican grill by Reed Hearon

1/4 Cup corn oil
6 arbol chiles -- with seeds
8 tomatillos -- husked
1 Small clove garlic -- minced
1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro -- coarsely chopped
1/2 Cup water
1/3 Cup white onion -- finely diced
1/8 Teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 Teaspoon Mexican oregano -- toasted and ground
1/8 Teaspoon cumin -- toasted

In northern Mexico and south Texas, this brick-red salsa is slathered over all kinds of meats and cheeses.

Heat the corn oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Fry the chiles, 1 or 2 at a time, until puffed and brown, about 10 seconds. Do not burn or they will taste bitter. Shake off excess oil from chiles and place in a food processor.

Put the tomatillos in a small saucepan, cover with water, and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. The tomatillos will have changed color and be soft but still whole.

Add the tomatillos to the food processor along with the garlic. Process until finely chopped. Add the cilantro and water and continue to process until smooth. Add the onion, salt, oregano, and cumin and pulse to mix. Keeps, tightly covered, about 3 days in the refrigerator.

Joneser
03-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Sounds pretty good. I assume you can give the same treatment to japs or serranos if the arbols aren't available.....
I've been looking for a decent recipe for salsa.
Thanks Richtee!

peculiarmike
03-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Richtee??? Hmmmm......I remember a guy by that name from..................
Good to see you posting Rich!
Good looking salsa recipe too! It's on the "To Try" list now.

:sign0092:

Siesta Man
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
A true Tex/Mex Picante. Good flavors but sneak up on the heat:ack2:. Goes well with bordertown tex/mex foods but is to heavy for most of the foods found deeper in Mexico. E.T.

chadd17
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
:wow: That sounds good! Thanks for posting the recipe.

SmokyOkie
03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Are you talking about fresh arbols Rich?

I'm trying to figure out what makes it brick red. is there that much red in the peppers?

If you are talking about fresh arbols, how would you think it would need to be adapted for dried peppers?

We see plenty of dry arbols around here, but not many fresh ones.

Richtee
03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Are you talking about fresh arbols Rich?

I'm trying to figure out what makes it brick red. is there that much red in the peppers?

If you are talking about fresh arbols, how would you think it would need to be adapted for dried peppers?

We see plenty of dry arbols around here, but not many fresh ones.

The peppers are dried...or at least that's what I use. I never see fresh either. I have used smoked ones as well, good stuff...

I just soak the 6 drieds for a while, then toast them up.

Richtee
03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Richtee??? Hmmmm......I remember a guy by that name from..................
Good to see you posting Rich!

Ditto... I been around. I been a square too ;{)
Kinda grew away from "........."
Perhaps you have heard of the "new place on the block"

PigCicles
03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Sounds very good Rich. Good to see you walking around a bit. It's good to stretch your legs after sitting in one spot so long.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. :thumbs up:

SDJ1
03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
My mouth started watering as soon as I read the recipe, its on my to do list:thumbs up:

BigAL
03-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Sounds great Rich.:thumbs up: Good to see ya again. I haven't given you heck for a long time........your due.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Later

Richtee
03-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Sounds great Rich.:thumbs up: Good to see ya again. I haven't given you heck for a long time........your due.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Heh... I do kind of miss it... sort of like picking a scab for the itch relief :D