PDA

View Full Version : Macon and the Superior Smoker

Jack W
03-16-2009, 04:24 AM
My buddy Finney had a new Superior fabricated but couldn't get to Macon to pick it up in time for his big cook in Clover. The Big GQ and I decided to lend a hand and took a road trip to Macon to help out. We had a great time touring the little burgs along the way. Eatonton was interesting. Who would have thought there was a statue in honor of Briar Rabbit??

I posted some pictures of the trip here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jwaiboer/MaconAndTheSuperiorSmoker#

I'll let Finney explain the cooker. She sure is pretty.

We got a complete tour of the facility and saw Superior Smokers in all phases of production. These guys are artists in their craft. Cool part was, they seemed as interested in what we do as we were in what they do.

The side trip to the Uncle Remus Museum and the Q Joint were just for fun. Mr. Fred made us some pretty good brisket sammies. What can I say about the museum, it was there, we had to go see it!!

Good Q!

Jack

Joneser
03-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Sounds like it was a fun road trip! How far did you all travel?
Leave it to the wheel guy to ask, but why is the spare a mod (round holes) and the mounted wheels spokes on the trailer? Just something that caught my eye....

Jack W
03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey Jonser,

I live in Charleston and The Big GQ lives in Columbia. Macon was about a 4 hour trip down I20 from Columbia. It's 2 hours to Columbia for me.

When I went through my mental checklist I wanted to make sure everything was covered. I called to make sure there were a few things on the trailer before we arrived. Top of the check list was a mounted spare. Looks I might have surprised them with that one!

Good Q!

Jack

californiasmokin
03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Glad you had a good trip.

Looking forward to some posts of that Superior Smoker

SmokyOkie
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Briar Rabbit??

I posted some pictures of the trip here:

Jack

Most of my life I have wondered where Br'er Rabbit came from and now I know it's from Briar Rabbit. You da Dood!

Those seem to be nice smokers. I had a long conversation with Joby a few weeks ago. I't prolly time to look him up again.

Butt Lover's
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Nice looking rig :) Now I am off to google the Briar Rabbit!

BA_LoKo
03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
That looks like it was a great road trip. Great looking smoker, too!

Jack W
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Prolly won't find much on the ole Rabbit. Great spelling isn't in the family tree, especially between 4 and 6am.

Good Q!

Jack "Brer" W

Bringin' The Heat
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Well I have followed Jobys venture for a while and it looks like he has done himself well with this cooker.I just recieved an email with the photos and it appears we have a mutual friend in Buzz(2 Fat Bikers).

SmokyOkie
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Prolly won't find much on the ole Rabbit. Great spelling isn't in the family tree, especially between 4 and 6am.

Good Q!

Jack "Brer" W

No, Really, I really never knew where the word Brer came from. I even knew about the briar patch. this is like an epiphany. :wow:

Gonna change your username Brer?:shrug::msn-wink:

Jack W
03-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Well I have followed Jobys venture for a while and it looks like he has done himself well with this cooker.I just recieved an email with the photos and it appears we have a mutual friend in Buzz(2 Fat Bikers).

She is a beautiful machine. Buzz, however, isn't considered quite so beautiful. :msn-wink:

Good Q!

Jack

Chargrilled
03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Looks like yall had a great trip, bad azz road trip are when you pickin up a unit like that one!!! Cant wait to see some vittles come off er.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Who's who in the pix?

Jack W
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Who's who in the pix?

I'm the fat boy in the green tshirt. The Big GQ is dressed in black. Mr Fred from Kinnorhook BBQ is wearing a ball cap and a red tshirt, and Jeff Connely from C & C Manufacturing (pit builders) is the fella standing next to the cooker in the red tshirt and Brer Rabbit is the black rabbit with the purple coat!

All B.U.B.B.A.s

Good Q!

Jack

SmokyOkie
03-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, you and GQ have enough belly on you to be trusted as a cook.

I can't tell from the pic about Mr. Fred. But that Jeff fella, I think he's too skinny to be trusted as a cook.:roflmaoha0:

Bringin' The Heat
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
We were just up at Buzzs Sunday and he didnt get any better lookin over the winter:shrug:.He kinda took us under his wing when we decided to try competing and has turned out to be a great friend.He is leaving this coming weekend for the Hammond ,La. contest.Sure wish I was going....

SmokyOkie
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
OK, help me out. Where are you located? Would you consider filling out your profile page so that folks will know?

Next, which Buzz are you talking about?

Bringin' The Heat
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
OK, help me out. Where are you located? Would you consider filling out your profile page so that folks will know?

Next, which Buzz are you talking about?
Profile filled out.I thought I had but must not have.On other boards I post as Coz.Montello,Wi is where I am stranded for the time being.The Buzz we are discussing is Buzz Dean of 2 Fat Bikers.If you go on the BWS site he is the fella who won the Party they do the drawing for those who compete with backwoods.Buzz is a great guy who has helped us a bunch in our short comp career.

SmokyOkie
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Gotcha! Sorry if i seemed short. I didn't mean to be, but rereading my post, iIt does seem a bit that way.

I think I have visited on line with you in the past. I recognize the Coz tag.

Where is Montello? I know Racine, Janesville, Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, Eau Claire.

Bringin' The Heat
03-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Gotcha! Sorry if i seemed short. I didn't mean to be, but rereading my post, iIt does seem a bit that way.

I think I have visited on line with you in the past. I recognize the Coz tag.

Where is Montello? I know Racine, Janesville, Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, Eau Claire.

We are 50 miles west of Fon Du Lac.

SmokyOkie
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Gotcha!:thumbs up: