PDA

View Full Version : CG insulator idea?

lazy
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Maybe this should be tagged on another thread discussing this? I'm sure a mod will move it necessary.

I've been reading in numerous forums about trying to keep the heat in, especially in cold weather. :lightbulb:This probably sounds a bit strange, but has anyone tried an insulating blanket from the hood of a car? It won't burn--it's designed to smother engine fires. My thought was to find a fairly new car that had been rear-ended, pull the insulator and lay it on top of the lid--they're somewhat flexible. Then you could form a piece of galvanized metal to the proper curvature to fit over the insulator. (Heck, if your were a bit of a metal worker, you could put edges on it as tall as the insulator is thick).. Then use some high-temp sealant/glue to attach the insulator to the galvanized. You would need to run maybe a couple of short bolts through the lid from the inside out, drill matching holes in the insulator assembly, put it over the bolts, throw some wing nuts on to keep it from falling off when you open the lid.

Don't know if that description makes sense, but I hope the general idea came across...

Any reason it wouldn't work?

chef schwantz
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I get it, and it sounds like it would work.:shrug:

jminion
03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
It sounds like it would work, a welding blanket may be more flexible and easier to work with.

chadd17
03-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I've done that with a welding blanket and it worked good. Interesting idea. :thumbs up:

Joneser
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Let us know how it comes out...it's a sound idea, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Partyshack BBQ
03-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I've done that with a welding blanket and it worked good. Interesting idea. :thumbs up:

second the welding blanket.

I cooked Turkeys in the Traeger for Christmas around 20 degrees or colder and I think I actually burned less pellets than in the summer. I doubled the blanket and threw it over the the stack and all. Worked perfect

DDave
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
This probably sounds a bit strange, but has anyone tried an insulating blanket from the hood of a car?

You mean something like this?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/DrowzyDave/Insulate/newfront.jpg

It is not the insulation blanket from the hood of a car but it is similar.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/DrowzyDave/Insulate/hwp.jpg

It is called Heat Wave Pro and is sold as an acoustic thermal insulation for cars.

They also sell foil tape to hold it together.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/DrowzyDave/Insulate/tape.jpg

I would tell you where I got it but then you would know what I paid for it. :blushing: Well, I'll still tell you if you want to know. But my advice would be to save your money and time fabricating and buy a welding blanket.:D

I did notice some difference but it really doesn't get that cold here. The biggest problem I have is the wind. I should have taken the money I spent on the insulating blanket and spent it on this instead . . .

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg21/DrowzyDave/Misc/DSC02831.jpg

which made MUCH more difference in my situation.

I really don't worry about wind much with the UDS though. But occasionally I'll use the SnP for something and invariably, the wind will come up and I'll have to drag out the wind break.

Dave

SmokyOkie
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
second the welding blanket.

I cooked Turkeys in the Traeger for Christmas around 20 degrees or colder and I think I actually burned less pellets than in the summer. I doubled the blanket and threw it over the the stack and all. Worked perfect

Well, you won't have to worry about that in anymore in just a fwe short weeks, huh?

Hey guys, I know, why not just glue firebricks to the outside with 700 silicone, kinda like the space shuttle?

Geek with Fire
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, you won't have to worry about that in anymore in just a fwe short weeks, huh?

Hey guys, I know, why not just glue firebricks to the outside with 700 silicone, kinda like the space shuttle?

'cause the first time you drop your foam cooler on your smoker, you'll have to scrub your mission.:msn-wink:

DDave
03-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Aw, c'mon, Tim. It's not rocket science! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Dave

SmokyOkie
03-16-2009, 05:54 PM
'cause the first time you drop your foam cooler on your smoker, you'll have to scrub your mission.:msn-wink:

Aw, c'mon, Tim. It's not rocket science! :msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Dave

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

That's what I was thinking.:msn-wink:

lazy
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Lawzy! What a bunch around here.

Ddave--that's pretty much what I was thinking of. Sounds like just sticking w/a welding blanket in the winter is the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies.

One of you also mentioned a wind break. I remember when I had my weber kettle, postioning it into the wind seemed to be a big deal. Based on your commments about the windbreak, I assume it makes a difference with the chargriller, too. I've read somewhere about fastening flashing around the bottom of the unit to accomplish this. Since the wind blows here pretty much all the time, is there anything to be gained by facing the unit a certain direction (the vent into?/away from?) with the wind?

SmokyOkie
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Lazy, why don't you fill out your profile page and your signature with a list of your equipment so that folks will know where you are and what you're cooking with.

As to positioning the Chargriller and wind, out of it is the best answer. If the wind is out of the west, cook on the east side of the house.

DDave
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Ddave--that's pretty much what I was thinking of. Sounds like just sticking w/a welding blanket in the winter is the way to go.

Yep, if I had to do it over again, I would have just bought the welding blanket. But I had some time on my hands . . . and apparently more money than common sense :blushing: (not that I have a lot of money) so that is what I came up with. I still use it once in awhile but I notice a bigger improvement by using the wind break.

But clearly there is some merit to an insulated smoker . . . right Backwoods owners/dealers? :msn-wink:

Since the wind blows here pretty much all the time, is there anything to be gained by facing the unit a certain direction (the vent into?/away from?) with the wind?

I have been told to face the firebox into the wind which makes sense. Tim's suggestion about smoking on the opposite side of the house sounds good but in my case it is not feasible. And often times over the course of a long smoke, the wind may change direction here. It's easier to move the windbreak than it is to move the smoker.

Dave

Chargrilled
03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Lazy, your not going to have to worry much about wind, cold, etc. you dont have a side fire box, right:shrug:.

If your direct grillin, go for it, even indirect in the same chamber wind/cold wont matter much, it is way more important when yer usin an offset.

:twocents:

tsunami_tommy
03-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Chargrilled is right. The only time I struggle with my CG w/sfb is in cold wind. We get 30 mph -10 at worst where I'm at, and it's a pain. I'd go with a welding blanket.

You're also going to want a charcoal basket if you do add a side fire box.

SmokyOkie
03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
You will most likely have difficulty with the gas side of the Chargriller Duo in the wind. all gasers have to be fairly well open in the back as a safety feature.

lazy
03-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the info. Firebox will be added this summer, I have a feeling. Looked at briskets and butts while in at Sam's tonight, for some unkown reason:msn-wink:. Never cooked one of either in my life. (Actually, I seem to look at butts pretty much wherever I go...fascinating things, they are). Threw a marinade together this afternoon for some chops (soy sauce, lemon juice, molasses, hot sauce, sea salt, cayenne, onions and garlic. Why those? Don't know--seemed like a good idea at the time. Didn't have great taste results, but appearance was awesome. Daddy Hinkles is mucho better--don't have any in the house right now...) and tossed them on the charcoal side. Seared them over the coals, then moved them to the side. Super moist!

I've got to figure out where to put the grill. Whenthe firebox is added, it won't fit where I had my old unit, so I've been thinkin' on where would make the most sense. I know that having the back of it to the north isn't working real good, because I get thoroughly smoked every time I lift the lid... plus the seasoning drips on the patio haven't gone over real well.

Harbor Junk has 10" wheels/tires on sale, plus I have an email discount, so I'll pick up a pair tomorrow on lunch.

As top heavy as this thing is, do I need to stake it down to keep it upright in the wind out here?