PDA

View Full Version : A Saturday Smoke...

antny616
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Had a nice little Saturday planed, put some meat on the smoker and went to smack a bucket of little white balls with the new Cobras, It was a nice day here in IL. I rubbed some ribs with my own brew, think I have it just right. I did the 321 method and I would have to say look out... Sep. comp here I come. Also put my first beer can chicken on and it need a little work yet but was still happy with it. Made some pretty good tacos.

Thanks allot to all of you who gave your advice and input. I love doing this smoke thing.....

Thanks again, :sign0092::sign0092::sign0092:

antny

SmokyOkie
03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
One huge chicken Antny. She reminds me of a girl I used to date, and she also appears in the first pic to have a severe hemorrhoid flare up.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

No, really, It all looks good to me. What was wrong with the yardbird?

Is that creamed corn on the plate?

Looks like a good meal!:thumbs up:

Short One
03-14-2009, 10:11 PM
:thumbs up:Looks great. Just one thing I would do different. That is to raise the rack the bird is on up to allow the bird to go on the bottom rack to keep the bird from dripping on the food you had wrapped in foil. Never let poultry drip on anything but poultry. Other than that the bird and ribs look good.

chadd17
03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
:thumbs up: Good lookin meal!

SmokyOkie
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
:thumbs up:Looks great. Just one thing I would do different. That is to raise the rack the bird is on up to allow the bird to go on the bottom rack to keep the bird from dripping on the food you had wrapped in foil. Never let poultry drip on anything but poultry. Other than that the bird and ribs look good.

Not challenging that, or for that matter, not even disagreeing, but what is the reason for that, other than the fact that poultry drippings are kinda ugly?

Short One
03-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Tim, I just don't like cross contamination from poultry on my other food. You will notice that I said "one thing that I would do different". I just don't care for poultry droppings,:oops: I mean drippings, on my other food.:smack::blushing::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

chef schwantz
03-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Was that a chicken or a small turkey? Don;t matter, thats the way you want it to look every time. Nice work for the first time. Did it hurt much?:roflmaoha0:

BYBBQ
03-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Nice job. Good lookin' meal.:thumbs up:

californiasmokin
03-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Good stuff:thumbs up:

TX Sandman
03-15-2009, 09:36 AM
:wo: Now, *that* is a big-a** chicken! Great color, though.

Looks like it was a heckuva meal.

antny616
03-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Ya I was not thinking clearly when I put them on ( I think it was the beer ) I changed them around and put the ribs in top about 5 min. later. I think it was a good idea if for nothing else than less mess.

Thanks

antny616
03-15-2009, 11:02 AM
One huge chicken Antny. She reminds me of a girl I used to date, and she also appears in the first pic to have a severe hemorrhoid flare up.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

No, really, It all looks good to me. What was wrong with the yardbird?

Is that creamed corn on the plate?

Looks like a good meal!:thumbs up:

It was a 6 pound bird, had invited some friends over and did not want to run out. The bird was cooked fine, not to mushy just not allot of flavor. I did a brine and rub but I think next time I will do some injecting. Over all I was happy with how it turned out for the first go around. The ribs turned out very nice was good eats.

Thanks for the help.

Joneser
03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Looks like a great meal you smoked up...Was that chicken a bodybuilder?
:D :D

Buzzards Roost
03-15-2009, 04:36 PM
the chicken does remind you a little of a sumo wrestler. good lookin meal.

SmokyOkie
03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Tim, I just don't like cross contamination from poultry on my other food. You will notice that I said "one thing that I would do different". I just don't care for poultry droppings,:oops: I mean drippings, on my other food.:smack::blushing::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Like I say, I wasn't disagreeing, i was just curious. I don't think the droppings would look good either, but Mike had just made a similar comment on another thread, and I was curious what the reasoning was behind it.

I mean, If you haven;t followed proper safety practices and the bird is contaminated. you're gonna get sick anyway, so what difference does it make if it gets on the pig meat, unless of course, you aren;t going to eat the chicken.:msn-wink:

It was a 6 pound bird, had invited some friends over and did not want to run out. The bird was cooked fine, not to mushy just not allot of flavor. I did a brine and rub but I think next time I will do some injecting. Over all I was happy with how it turned out for the first go around. The ribs turned out very nice was good eats.

Thanks for the help.

You might try stuffing some fresh herbs and seasonings under the skin. If you're careful, you can actually get it clear back under the thigh and leg skin.

irishteabear
03-16-2009, 05:41 AM
It looks like a fine meal. Nice job on everything. :thumbs up:

peculiarmike
03-16-2009, 07:30 AM
:wow:
Was that a capon??? A biggun fer sure! Looks good though.

I'm with Shortone. Poultry goes on the bottom. Regardless of the Okie's opinion.

T-bone Tim
03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
nice lookin Q , got me droolin on the keyboard :drooling::msn-wink:

Chargrilled
03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Great lookin vittles my friend! Esp if that was your 1st time doin YB, you shoulda seen my first one:ack2:.

How did the skin come out? I noticed that you put that bird on after foiling your ribs, did you spike the heat up past 300 or just let er go at pig temps??

antny616
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Great lookin vittles my friend! Esp if that was your 1st time doin YB, you shoulda seen my first one:ack2:.

How did the skin come out? I noticed that you put that bird on after foiling your ribs, did you spike the heat up past 300 or just let er go at pig temps??

Bird turned out ok, I am having it for lunch and it is better today than Sun. The skin was not a crispy as I had hoped but not bad for the first one. Just after I put the chicken on I realized the ribs need to be on top. I thought I would get a higher temp at the top of the smoker but was not thinking about the drip factor...

Thanks for your help on the smoke.

antny