PDA

View Full Version : Large older chix

BigAL
03-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Did 2 older roosters for an employee at 300*. I think they weighed in the 6-8# range. Alot of fat, thick skin. Skin did not crisp up and I cooked them to 180 internal then in foil to rest. He just wanted them plain w/some seasonings on the skin.:shrug: So I didn't get to brine.

How would you have smoked them? I've never done large older chix before. Just curious.

Thanks

BA_LoKo
03-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Al, I think I would have done them about the same, except I would have seasoned them a bit with some rub. Also, I might have spatchcocked them too. I'm convinced that this technique yields a juicier bird. It also cooks more evenly and quicker as well.

As far as trying to get a crisper skin, I really don't know. Skin isn't something I eat very often, so I haven't paid much attention to it in the past.

BigAL
03-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Yep, I spatchcocked them. I always do as I just like it better. One prob was they were cleaned like you would a pheasant(or how we do them). Pry under the breast to open the cavity to clean the organs out. When I cut the backbone out I had two separate legs(like 1/4'd) and the breast I kinda spread out. I also did put a rub/seasonings on the skin, just not under the skin.

It wasn't bad, just "odd" compared to what I normally smoke, as far as chix. I haven't asked him yet today if he wants more done.......they just wanted to try it.

Thanks Kev!:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Jason, read my lips....325-350. If you don't, then you should not be surprised if the skin isn't crisp.:msn-wink:

BigAL
03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Jason, read my lips....325-350. If you don't, then you should not be surprised if the skin isn't crisp.:msn-wink:

I don't know why it is so hard for me to go up on temps! :smack::smack::smack: I'm so stuck on 225 that 300 sounds just too high. Next bird I do will be at 335........I may have to have someone else set the temp, but I'll do it.

I need "treatment".:msn-wink: It's 5:00 somewhere.