PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant

chadd17
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Anyone have any tips for pheasant? Should I do them the same as quail? Had an opportunity today to go on a guided hunt and had a blast. Great way to put winter memories away. Any tips would be great. :sign0092:

Jake
03-07-2009, 11:26 PM
sorry none here but i cant wait to hear some :thumbs up: hope you had a good time

erain
03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
brined and smoked pheasant is great.....
here is brine i use for pheasants,chickens, turkeys, cornish hens...

brine recipie

make enough to cover. in container(plastic,glass, or s/s combine
3 quarts water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1.5 cups pickling salt
3 cloves garlic-halved
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
4 bay leaves

while smoking i baste with 50/50 butter/evoo, also last hour need to get temp up to crisp skin

make enough to completly cover
some example brine times are:
game hen 2-4 hours
chicken,pheasant 4-8 hours
2.5-4.5 lb. rolled and tied pork,beef,or lamb roast soak 8 hours or til next day
12 lb. turkey 18-24 hours

personal note on birds wash off skin thorougly to get sugar from skin or it will burn

BigAL
03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds good Erain.:thumbs up: The birds I've done didn't have skin as we take that off when cleaning them. I've also never brined, don't know why.......just haven't. I usually just take the breast off the bone and wrap in bacon and on the grill/smoker. Or I deep fry. I like to take off the bone to make sure all the shot is out.

Been a while since I made pheasant. May have to "accidently" hit one w/the pickup.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Mix up some Good season's Italian salad dressing, but cut the water amount in half. Marinate the parts overnight in a ziplock. Grill direct over medium heat, basting with the remaining dressing mix, and be certain not to overcook.

also another tip, the breast on a pheasant is a good deal thicker than a chicken's breast. For even cooking times, separate each breast half into two separate muscles. You'll see them easily as you fillet them off the bone.

chadd17
03-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. :thumbs up:

peculiarmike
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Chadd, take a look here -

http://www.huntfishcook.com/index.php?option=com_ricettario&func=viewcategory&Itemid=34&catid=18

I thought the Skillet Pheasant Breasts looked pretty good. And I think the Mushroom Stuffed Pheasant Breasts could be done on a smoker at higher temp.
His take is that the standard way to prepare wild game is to do something to it (marinate for eternity, etc) so it does not taste like what it originally was. I'll say he is correct. And he is a BIG advocate of not overcooking.
Check out the HuntFishCook site for some good recipes for other game also.

chadd17
03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Mike. Lots of good info there. Had to bookmark that one. :sign0092:

Jake
03-12-2009, 03:27 AM
hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm im not a big fan but i might have to try :msn-wink: :thumbs up: