PDA

View Full Version : 321 country style ribs?

JohnnyReb
03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
would a variation of 321 work on csr's? maybe 311 211?

glued2it
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm assuming you are referring to pork.

Country style ribs aren't actually ribs. You want to cook them more like a roast or loin.

Description: Country-style ribs are cut from the sirloin or rib end of the pork loin

jminion
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
In some areas of the country they cut down bone in butt and sale as country style ribs, cook accordingly.

Gunslinger
03-07-2009, 11:26 AM
In some areas of the country they cut down bone in butt and sale as country style ribs, cook accordingly.
That's exactly what they are here. And everywhere else I've ever lived (VA, AZ, CA, MI, WY).
Before I started raising my own hogs, I'd wait for them to go on a killer sale, bone them and grind for sausage.

Smokin Bill
03-07-2009, 02:16 PM
would a variation of 321 work on csr's? maybe 311 211?

I cant imagine you would be disappointed with 321 results. Pre smoker days I used to precook CSR's till they were extremely tender then dry them out a bit on the grill; that's basically 321.:twocents:

glued2it
03-07-2009, 09:35 PM

This is also true.

When you use the 3-2-1 method you are relying on the 3 as a guide line. and looking for a good 1/4" pull back.

With the CSR's there is no bone to judge.

I personally would recommend taking them to about 160 and foiling to about 195-205 depending of your tenderness liking.

We can always remember that time is guideline and to cook by temp.:msn-wink:

Jake
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
hmmm always something to make you think about on here

JohnnyReb
03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
well i tried them 211 and shouldve left them in the foil, they kinda dried out that last hour out of the foil....another lesson learned :thumbs up:

next time i do them i will keep them wrapped like a butt, which is what they are just cut into strips

thanks you all

Reb

erain
03-08-2009, 10:35 AM
what everyones saying is all correct. have to remember that C/S ribs are alot leaner than say spares or bb's. so the drying out is a possibility. do like mine to smoke a bit after foil though to set up the outside. but thats just my preference.

jminion
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Another way to smoke them is in a pan, put smoke on them till the reach 160 to 170 internal then add something like apple juice to the juices in the pan, cover the pan with foil, cook till tender.

JohnnyReb
03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks jim...i had plannned to get a foil pan but the kids were raisin h*ll in the store and i was trying to get out of there :roflmaoha0:

Jake
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
thanks for the idea im going to have to try it:thumbs up: hmmmm

SmokyOkie
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
You guys are killin' me. Whether they are butt or sirloin end loin, they are plenty tender without cooking them to death.

I mean, I'm sure that all the above methods are good eats, but it all sounds like a lot of overkill.

Grill them indirect for about an hour with a little smoke, turning once or twice to keep moist, then begin saucing until the sauce sets up. then dance them across the flames to char the sauce up a little and enjoy.

I never temped them, but the way we do them, I would guess we usually do them to about 145-150, or just on the gentle side of well done. If you cut them in thick chunks, they could be a little tough, but when you cut a bite off, if you slice the bite fairly thin, you won;t have any tenderness issues, and you will have very flavorful juicy pig meat.