PDA

View Full Version : Upside down tomatoes

jseiber
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I have been reading about this, and it sounds interesting. Does anyone here have any experience with this method?

Check out the link for a description.

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/gardening/tomato.htm

Joneser
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Wow, that's really interesting...never saw that done before, but it looks simple enough. Nothing worse than grabbing a tomato that looks good only to find the bottom rotten from sitting on the ground. You should give it a try.

glued2it
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I saw those on the DIY network. They look kinda interesting.
But they weren't buckets it was a whole kit.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that it's the same as having it in a pot with root growth limited wich results in smaller and slower growing pots.

I'm still thinking about trying one to see how well the method works.
My tomato plats get too big anyway.( beefmasters and beefsteaks)

SmokyOkie
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I've seen it done. but with poor results. The part about no disease is false. The issue of crowding is very real ( you will have small, unhealthy plants and fruit), and around these parts, the summer heat is too much for the above ground roots.

I think that if you had 15 gallon containers in a part of the country where the weather doesn't get too ho, it might just work, but then to me, it's easier to just use a good support system for your plants and grow them the way nature intended.

Just my :twocents:

glued2it
03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
It said "almost no disease problems"

Here in OK like okie said it gets too hot in the summer here.
I guess in Iowa where Jim appleby lives it may work better.

SmokyOkie
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
The ones I saw it tired on were wiped out by fungus. They managed a few tiny tomatoes, but they didn't ripen until the plant was almost dead. The only thing that caused them to ripen was the plants death response.

Bottom line is that there are varieties of plants that are designed to grow in planters. They are generally not varieties that are known for flavor or size.

They generally are determinate ( bush) type plants and only yield one crop.

jseiber
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
:sign0092: for all the replies. I have never seen it done, but figured someone on the forum would have some knowledge of it.

I was hoping that it might be the answer to the deer eating everything, but maybe not.

glued2it
03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Since your in TN, You might have better luck.

I would recomend you give it a shot. I wouldn't depend on the whole crop but, I would at least try 1 or 2 and see how well it works out.

Even if it fails what do you have to loose?:D

jseiber
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
I have a couple of white buckets, that should draw a little less heat. I'll will try two plants, and see what happens.

They probably will have to be watered often.

glued2it
03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
You could always paint them with some silver paint to repel more heat.

You could cut the bottom out of a coke bottle and put a small hole in the lid for a drip system to help keep it moist.(just a thought)

Gobbledot
03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
jseiber I have tried them about three times and had no good results. Dont know why but never done good. They are fun to watch grow upside down though :D.. I have done them in buckets and the bags and had same results. Now that I am thinking the only one that done fair was a little yellow tommy toe. I would suggest ya to try one, they are interesting to watch grow, I had some good plants but just didnt produce fruits like I the others which were in the garden done.. Oh yea I am east of ya, I am in ther TRI...

SmokyOkie
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Gotta know GD, where does the screen name come from?

glued2it
03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Gotta know GD, where does the screen name come from?

I figured it was inline sights for turkey hunting.:shrug:

Or pacman.