PDA

View Full Version : Square Foot Garden

nascarchuck
02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, I finally got around to getting a garden in after almost 10 years of talking about it.

So far I have 64 onions, 4 jalapenos, 4 hot banana peppers and 4 bell peppers.

Gonna get the tomatoes, squash, zucchini, etc in soon.

It's kind of a mess in the last three pictures, but I was up until 1 AM getting the fence put up and planting the onions and peppers.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/02-20-09-003.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/02-26-09-002.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/02-26-09-004.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/12-26-09-003.jpg

BA_LoKo
02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Very nice, Chuck. I need to get mine ready soon. I've got some tomato and pepper plants on order. I just wish it would warm up a bit.

Did you use 2 x 8's for the perimeter?

nascarchuck
02-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Very nice, Chuck. I need to get mine ready soon. I've got some tomato and pepper plants on order. I just wish it would warm up a bit.

Did you use 2 x 8's for the perimeter?

Thanks...

Actually they are 2x10x8. I had planned on 2x8x8 but I had a brain fart while at Lowes.

I am gonna do one more for my wifes flowerbed in the front today. It will be about 11x3 using 2x8's.

glued2it
02-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Looks pretty nice! You should be able to grow some good vegggies.

Seems to me it looks bigger than a sqaure foot.

Can explain the "sqaure foot gardening technique" for the members that may not be familiar with it?

Butt Lover's
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Very nice Chuck, is that the bagged garden soil from Lowe's? If so, that was a lot of work!

chef schwantz
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
You might reconsider the zucchini and squash. They will take over that small of an area right quick.

Gunslinger
02-28-2009, 02:35 PM
You might reconsider the zucchini and squash. They will take over that small of an area right quick.

Good point but there are bush varieties now, and you can "train" vines to grow anywhere you want. You just have to stay on top of it.
A small, well maintained garden will out produce a huge neglected garden any day.
Good luck Chuck, looks good so far.

cowgirl
02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Great lookin garden Chuck! :thumbs up:

nascarchuck
02-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Looks pretty nice! You should be able to grow some good vegggies.

Seems to me it looks bigger than a sqaure foot.

Can explain the "sqaure foot gardening technique" for the members that may not be familiar with it?

To be honest, I'm not all that familar with the square foot garden thing.

I believe what it's about is a raised bed garden that is sectioned off into square foots.

Depending on the size of the item that you are planting is how many go into a square foot. I have 4 onions in each SF and 1 pepper plant in each foot. When I do the other things, they will probably all be 1 per SF.

This year it's 4x16 but if all goes well it may grow in size next year.

As for the soil, I looked at Lowes/HD and it was gonna cost about $125-$150 for the bags.

The guys on another local forum suggested that I try a place nearby that sells bulk soil. I got a 60/40 compost/sand mix for $18 per cubic yard. Ended up spending about $40 on soil.

SmokyOkie
02-28-2009, 05:40 PM
NIce garden plot Chuck. Where are you that you're already past frost free date? I thought you were in the DFW area. We are frost free on Apr 15. Are yu that far south of us?

You won't get by with only one sq ft per tomato plant. Besides needing a lot more soil than that, tomatoes need to have a lot of room for air circulation or they will usually succumb to fungus. Nuthin' much worse than having a real nice crop of maters just about to come ripe and go out and seeing th plants almost dead overnight due to anthracnose or septoria leaf spot.

I plant every three feet and at least 4 ft between rows.

peculiarmike
03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
From experience.......... one zucchini will take over one entire section of that raised bed garden. Hope your neighbors like zucs. And the folks you work with. And your relatives.
Make sure you look under every leaf every day. :roflmaoha0:
And plenty water.

I've got a really good zuc relish recipe if you are interested.

californiasmokin
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
From experience.......... one zucchini will take over one entire section of that raised bed garden. Hope your neighbors like zucs. And the folks you work with. And your relatives.
Make sure you look under every leaf every day. :roflmaoha0:
And plenty water.

I've got a really good zuc relish recipe if you are interested.

Zucchini Bread is pretty tasty too.My mom used to make it.

Gunslinger
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Zucchini Bread is pretty tasty too.My mom used to make it.
My wife makes zucchini jelly. Goes great with zucchini bread.
Zucchini cake can't be beat.

peculiarmike
03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
I really like fried zucchini too.

Gunslinger
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I really like fried zucchini too.
Oh yeah, sliced lengthwise or even bias, dipped in egg, rolled in bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and Parmesan, fry in cast iron and add a little marinara for fun.:wings:

peculiarmike
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah, sliced lengthwise or even bias, dipped in egg, rolled in bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and Parmesan, fry in cast iron and add a little marinara for fun.:wings:

Oh Momma! :drooling:

SmokyOkie
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey Chuck, how about an update and a pic or two of the square foot garden?

Joneser
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah...I almost forgot about that....
How does your garden grow, Chuck?

nascarchuck
05-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Well... It's not doing too bad. Pulled 2 tomaotes off so far. Wife ate the first one 2 days ago. I set mine in the window and just ate it after taking the pics this morning. Got some others turning red.

The Dill and whatever the other herb she planted was didnt make it. The basil is going nuts. Looks like the cilantro isnt doing very good.

The jalapenos have buds on them. We had a baby jalapeno but something got ahold of it (before I did!)

Looks like the banana peppers, zuchinni, squash and cucumbers are doing pretty good.

Here are a few pics that I took about 15 minutes ago.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/05-22-09-001.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/05-22-09-002.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/05-22-09-005.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z227/nascarchuck/Garden/05-22-09-006.jpg

Joneser
05-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Looking pretty good, Chuck!

Chargrilled
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
looks dam good my man!!! i am jealous big time!!!:tap::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow! It's hard to believe that your season is so much earlier than ours, not further south than you are.

We won't be picking maters for another 6 weeks.

What kind of maters are they. they appear to be a determinate variety. Are they Patios?

Aso, dill grows easily from seed and will grow all summer. You ought to go get some seeds and start again.
I gotta admit, it turned out a lot better than I had thought it would.:thumbs up:

nascarchuck
05-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks guys...

As far as the maters, I know that I nought some big Boy, Early Girl and then the wife bought some at Walmart. Not sure what they are because the little tag didnt say.

The ones from Walmart are the ones that are becoming ready. They are a little larger than a cherry mater. Inb fact I pulled 2 more off this morning.

Either the early girl or the big boy has a few larger maters but they are still green.

Noticed a couple of itty bitty jalapenos this morning...

the_selling_blues_man
05-23-2009, 09:05 AM
The raised gardens can sure be easier to take care of than the traditional gardens. Great pics. Enjoy!!

lazy
07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
update?

And about how much did you spend on the wood? I've been thinkin' about going that route, but haven't done it yet.

Our garden has set fallow for the last couple of years ("fallow" being Latin for "too lazy to take care of it"...)

I've had good luck with strawberries, cukes, popcorn and sweet corn in the past--as long as I accepted 2/3 of an ear for us, 1/3 for the ear worms... My watermelon and cantaloupe always set on fine, start to mature, and then implode. Three autumns ago, I got disgusted and just let it go back to nature.

That fence you've got around there doesn't do a whole lot of good, does it? Or are rabbits not an issue with you? They are a real menace to plants around here.

How about some fresh pics?

BA_LoKo
07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't recall what my initial cost was for wood. I don't think it was "much". I used 2x10x12 footers. My bed is 3 foot wide x 36 foot long. What was most expensive was the top soil to put in it. I wanted to use soil from a place that I could buy it by the load (which I later found out on county line road) but I ended up buying it by the 40lbs bag @ $1.29/bag. I ended up buying a total of 90 bags to fill my garden. I don't have a current pic, but this garden has produced well beyond what I ever expected. I've got several tomato plants that are about 8' tall. We've pulled countless pounds of tomatoes off of them and they're still going, although I'm thinking they're going to play out here in the next week or two.

Next year I'll change what tomatoes I plant, but I'll certainly keep this garden going. I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, but I must say that I've enjoyed eating these tomatoes. They're nothing like what you get at the store. These are good!

If you'd like to come by and see what I've got here, just let me know.

lazy
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
bump!

Loko--do you have to amend the soil year to year in one of these, or just move your planting around to different areas of the garden?