PDA

View Full Version : Split Turkey with Bacon

Geek with Fire
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Not a new concept here, but is certainly a winner in my book. I had a turkey in the freezer taking up space, so I thawed the dude out and totally deboned him down to the last joint in the drumsticks and wings. I did a basic brine the night before. On smoke day, I seasoned him with salt and pepper, then laid strips of thick bacon all over the side without skin. I then lightly peppered a good chili rub on the bacon.

http://www.geekwithfire.com/img/splitturkey1.jpg

Laid him out flat, skin side down, on a 300 degree smoker until 160 degrees internal.

http://www.geekwithfire.com/img/splitturkey2.jpg

No turning, no flipping, and everything cooks evenly and stays moist. And, as has become my motto in life, bacon makes everything better.

Butt Lover's
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm gonna try one this way - looks very good to me :)

Buzzards Roost
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
looks wonderful I'd like to have a taste of that. What kind of wood did you smoke it with? Was it on your UDS?

SmokyOkie
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Nice work Josh.:thumbs up:

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one on the forum that bones birds.

Sure would like to see some pix of the sliced product.

Geek with Fire
02-26-2009, 10:36 PM
looks wonderful I'd like to have a taste of that. What kind of wood did you smoke it with? Was it on your UDS?

I used apple wood, which is my choice for anything poultry (honestly, I use it for just about everything because I have several apple trees in the orchard out back). I used the horizontal. Haven't been using the drum for anything but high temp grilling lately. Did steaks on the drum last week with a basket full of applewood and no charcoal. Boy was that good!

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one on the forum that bones birds...

Well, I'm pretty good at yardbirds but these Turkeys are going to require a bit more practice. Not very pretty and I may have to break down and buy a good boning knife. I about lost a thumb with my sharp chef on this last go around.

SmokyOkie
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
A $10 fillet knife from Academy sports is ideal.

Do you take the leg bones out of the chix?

Geek with Fire
02-27-2009, 12:28 AM
A $10 fillet knife from Academy sports is ideal.

Do you take the leg bones out of the chix?

Yea, with chickens all bones go. For the drums, I slit all away around the "ankles", then a slice up the leg, half way to the joint. Then I apply pressure to the bone to make the leg muscle want to turn inside out. Then scrap the bone with a sharp knife from the inside until the bone pops out. The wing is basically the same way, except I clip off the wing end first.

BigAL
02-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Looks great Josh!:thumbs up:

Why do you like to de-bone poultry? Do you use those to make a stock?

Thanks for the pics!:drooling:

Joneser
02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Great pix!
That looks very appetizing. Do you have any slices pix or did you gobble it up!
LMAO!
I crack myself up!

BYBBQ
02-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Tasty lookin' bird.:thumbs up:

Bbq Bubba
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
That looks great!

Geek with Fire
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM

I find with chickens that it is easier to serve. As far as the turkey goes, I think it cooks faster and more evenly this way. I do save the bones for stock, but that's certainly not the main reason I do it.

peculiarmike
02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Josh that looks great! Nice! :drooling: I like your bacon philosophy. :thumbs up:
Boning makes it cook more evenly I would think. Gotta give it a go.

Course, the Okie has been a bird boner for years. :ack2: :blushing: :msn-wink:

:roflmaoha0:

Burnin' britches
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Who would have ever thought you could wrap an entire turkey in bacon. Wow! Looks great. And now, for those leftover turkey and bacon sandwiches you don't even need to cook the bacon. You've already got tons of it, and it's smoked! Very nice!

SmokyOkie
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Yea, with chickens all bones go. For the drums, I slit all away around the "ankles", then a slice up the leg, half way to the joint. Then I apply pressure to the bone to make the leg muscle want to turn inside out. Then scrap the bone with a sharp knife from the inside until the bone pops out. The wing is basically the same way, except I clip off the wing end first.

I make the ankle cut, then cut the "collar" of the leg bone just below the "knee joint".

Then I scrape the meat from the bone from the knee down until the ankle pops up and out. I don't slit the leg skin cux I like it to stay intact.

Save the bones from cooked turkerys as well. roast them in a 400 oven for a couple hours or until they start to turn black, then boil them. Don't forget to rinse the pan with the boiling water until you have gotten all the good fond dissolved and into the stockpot.

californiasmokin
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
This looks good!:thumbs up:

tomshoots
11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm.....:drooling::drooling: