PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Ribs

Burnin' britches
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Anyone ever try rolling their babybacks or spares? Think it makes a difference? I had been drying out a lot of racks, not ruining them, mind you, just drying them out it a bit using a rib rack so I thought I might try this. My significant other thinks they turned out better. I agree, but don't have any idea as to whether it had to do with how they went on the smoker (ECB). Sorry no after pix. We ate them too fast!

However, I am doing six racks this weekend with ABT's and a couple of fatties (the ECB will be bustin at the seams!). Will try to get some pictures of all of that!

BigAL
02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I've never rolled them, but what ever works........well it works.:thumbs up:

Fun to experiment but you tend to go back to the best way you like them. One thing I've found is that just about every piece of meat is different, what works this time will be a flop next time. If you can repeat it, then you found the best way. The fun part is find'n the best way.:msn-wink::woohoo:

Good luck this weekend, be sure to have plenty of batteries for pic's.:thumbs up: If you don't have pic's....well, you'll have to sit in the corner.:tap::msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Have fun!:thumbs up:

Joneser
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
That's different...
Looks interesting. I wonder if you get less smoke permeation that way...???

Chargrilled
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
:whathesaid:

Butt Lover's
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I've heard of people rolling their ribs but have never seen it. Whatever works for you!

Buzzards Roost
02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I've heard of people rolling their ribs so the hole rack will fit on ECBs and other small smoker with out having to cut them. If they taste good and not dryed out then go for it.

SmokyOkie
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
You will be very short on bark by doing that. You will also not be able to get an even cook because the meat at the center of the roll will be much thicker than the rest of the rack.

I would recommend that you examine your cooking procedure and find out why they are drying out and use another method to combat it.

Tell us about how you have been cooking your ribs.

Siesta Man
02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
You will be very short on bark by doing that. You will also not be able to get an even cook because the meat at the center of the roll will be much thicker than the rest of the rack.

I would recommend that you examine your cooking procedure and find out why they are drying out and use another method to combat it.

Tell us about how you have been cooking your ribs.:whathesaid:
When you roll the ribs they will be very compact and in order to keep the outside from drying out you would have to stand them up on a rack in a pan
that you have added liquid to thereby in effect steaming your ribs and as Okie told you, you will not have a beautiful tasty bark. E.T.

chef schwantz
02-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Maybe try rolling them after 3 hours on the smoke. They should be heated through, and uniformly smoked at that point, yet still flexable. Just a thought.:shrug:

JohnnyReb
02-27-2009, 05:26 AM
i think the roll technique is just to create more room :shrug:

jminion
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
The only reason to roll ribs is to get more on a grate it doesn't help in cooking. I would only roll them tip to tip rather than tight so you get good color on the racks. After a bout 3 hours you can foil and stack them to finish
to the tenderness you are looking for. You may need to shuffle the foiled ribs during that part of the cook so the bottom rack don't get over done.

Saw a post once where the guy got 14 or 15 racks of ribs on a WSM by rolling them.

Burnin' britches
02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Lots of good feedback here. I am guessing it was luck that the rolled racks turned out better that one time and that I have been drying ribs out in the past a bit due to inexperience/cheap smoker/bad luck/ aliens and perhaps too much peeking. I'll go back to the rack after this weekend where I think I have no choice but to roll due to quantity of food and keep on trying to get them perfect. Isn't that why this hobby is so much fun? Even a day of disappointing food is still a day around the smoker.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Joneser
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Have you tried the 3-2-1 method yet?
Check ou the awesome post by Tonto here (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73)

SmokyOkie
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Lots of good feedback here. I am guessing it was luck that the rolled racks turned out better that one time and that I have been drying ribs out in the past a bit due to inexperience/cheap smoker/bad luck/ aliens and perhaps too much peeking. I'll go back to the rack after this weekend where I think I have no choice but to roll due to quantity of food and keep on trying to get them perfect. Isn't that why this hobby is so much fun? Even a day of disappointing food is still a day around the smoker.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

If you will tell us how you are going about the smoke, I'm certain we can get you going right.:msn-wink:

crewdawg52
02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
The only reason to roll ribs is to get more on a grate it doesn't help in cooking. I would only roll them tip to tip rather than tight so you get good color on the racks. After a bout 3 hours you can foil and stack them to finish
to the tenderness you are looking for. You may need to shuffle the foiled ribs during that part of the cook so the bottom rack don't get over done.

Saw a post once where the guy got 14 or 15 racks of ribs on a WSM by rolling them.

:whathesaid: Those with WSMs must use the "Roll Method" in order to fit a whole rack of ribs on (unless they cut the racks in half) since the WSM is only 18 1/2" wide. Once cooked rolled up and smoked, they will retain pretty much that shape. Ok if you are going to present them as singles. In only my opinion, I think a whole, flat rack of ribs is more pleasing to the eye when presented, then sliced in front of all.

I've seen the larger 22 1/2" model (same diameter as the kettle). That thing is BIG!

jminion
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
:whathesaid: Those with WSMs must use the "Roll Method" in order to fit a whole rack of ribs on (unless they cut the racks in half) since the WSM is only 18 1/2" wide. Once cooked rolled up and smoked, they will retain pretty much that shape. Ok if you are going to present them as singles. In only my opinion, I think a whole, flat rack of ribs is more pleasing to the eye when presented, then sliced in front of all.

I've seen the larger 22 1/2" model (same diameter as the kettle). That thing is BIG!

I don't like the effects of cooking racks rolled and have not found the need to do so. I also don't cut the racks in half. I use a rib rack if doing more than a couple of racks at a time and they shrink so as the cook goes on.

I don't use the WSM much anymore (use Primos more the past few years) for cooking sessions at home.

Capt Dan
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I have rolled them in the past with very good results. I had to , to get more food on my charbroil silver at the time!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/Captspanky/IMG_1520sm.jpg

had to make room for a chuck that was to be smoked along with some beef ribs too.
The bark and taste was good, but they won't lay flat, about halfway through the smoke part, I flip them over. Here is what they looked like after they were done along with the dino bones. This was a long time ago.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/Captspanky/Dadscookingpictures004s.jpg
you can tell by the decorations that it was last christmas season.

Burnin' britches
02-28-2009, 09:47 PM
If you will tell us how you are going about the smoke, I'm certain we can get you going right.:msn-wink:

Thanks SmokyOkie....
So I typically aim for the 3-2-1 on my ECB. I use a mixture of kingsford charcoal and soak some wood chips to get a good smoke flavor. My biggest problem has not been that the meat does not fall off the bone, but that it typically can be a bit dry (not juicy). I rub with love, try not to peek too much, and spritz with apple juice. I think the ECB is probably the problem, and that I might be overloading it with heat on the start to maintain heat for several hours. I am always expirimenting, have better luck with other meats like brisket and turkey, but the ribs are always good, just haven't gotten to nirvana yet!

jminion
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks SmokyOkie....
So I typically aim for the 3-2-1 on my ECB. I use a mixture of kingsford charcoal and soak some wood chips to get a good smoke flavor. My biggest problem has not been that the meat does not fall off the bone, but that it typically can be a bit dry (not juicy). I rub with love, try not to peek too much, and spritz with apple juice. I think the ECB is probably the problem, and that I might be overloading it with heat on the start to maintain heat for several hours. I am always expirimenting, have better luck with other meats like brisket and turkey, but the ribs are always good, just haven't gotten to nirvana yet!

Burnin'
If you cook ribs to falling off the bone it is in reality overdone. By that I mean to get the protein to that point you have to take it beyond where the balance of tender and the moisture released by connective tissue has been cooked out of the ribs to a varying degree.

Try taking ribs to the point where they tender but not falling off the bone. When you bite that area comes clean off the bone, you will find that the tenderness is there but you don't have to loss the moisture by taking then beyond that point.

SmokyOkie
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
What are you doing to monitor the temps? Are you able to tell what app temps you are cooking at?

Also, the gentleman that just replied to you is well known for his charcoal method in which he just lights a few coals in a chimney and places them on top of the rest in the middle of the pan. this causes the fire to have to burn down and out resulting in even temps and a long burn.

I would also recommend using just 4 or 5 chunks as opposed to using soaked chips, and don't soak the chunks. these can be strategically placed amongst the charcoal so that you have constant even thin smoke.