PDA

View Full Version : Choucroute Garni

Buzzards Roost
02-22-2009, 09:21 PM
This is a new one for us. Had to try it, going to a dutchoven comp in a couple of week. I don't think it would place in a comp, but very good.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/oscarsroost/DSCN0149.jpg
ingredients
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/oscarsroost/DSCN0153.jpg
more ingredients
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/oscarsroost/DSCN0156.jpg
in the pot
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/oscarsroost/DSCN0158.jpg
cooking
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/oscarsroost/DSCN0163.jpg
finished. Very good. Also did the cake and rolls in the dutch.

Butt Lover's
02-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice looking chow :)

BYBBQ
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Excellent looking cook.:thumbs up: May not have placed, but I bet it tasted good.:drooling:

californiasmokin
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Very cool!

How do you handle the lids with all the coals on top?Do you take them off first?

Buzzards Roost
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM
We have a tool, called a lid lifter. There is several different types of lid lifters.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Hey Buzz, give us the skinny on the dish. I bet I could cook it in the BW, huh?

BigAL
02-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Look'n good!:thumbs up: If ya want you can send me some and I'll let you know how it would do in a comp.......I'm not a judge, but I play one at home.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

Joneser
02-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Nice looking dish, Buzz...I wanna taste that cake...I've had such a sweet tooth lately!

Buzzards Roost
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
It was delicious.:drooling::drooling:

CHOUCROUTE GARNI
Prep Time: 3 Hours Yields: 8 Servings
Comment:
Sauerkraut is one of the most underrated dishes in the South. Most southerners are reminded of the sour, bitter kraut they were served during their elementary school days, rather than the richly-garnished sauerkraut of Alsace Lorraine, France. Olga Hirsch brought this recipe from that region when she moved to Donaldsonville in the 1940s. It is a classic and well worth the effort! Use a German beer such as the Covington, Louisiana based Heiner Brau to make this dish even better!
Ingredients:
3 (32-ounce) jars Vlassic® sauerkraut
½ pound cubed bacon
3 links heavy sliced smoked sausage, cooked
1 ham steak, bone-in and cubed
4 thinly sliced pork chops
2 cups diced onions
¼ cup minced garlic
8 small potatoes, quartered
1½ tbsps flour
salt and black pepper to taste
6 (6-inch) Brats
1 quart chicken stock
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
1 cup dry white wine
2 small bay leaves
6 juniper berries
Method:
The secret to great sauerkraut is removing the sour brine from cabbage. Prior to cooking, rinse product under cold running water 2–3 times and drain well. In a medium sauté pan, cook the onions and garlic until lightly caramelized and set aside. In another medium sauté pan cook the bacon until crispy, crumble the bacon into small pieces, and then set aside. In a large Dutch oven, put a layer of sauerkraut, bacon, sausage, ham steak, pork chops, onions, garlic, potatoes, flour, salt and black pepper in the pot. Continue to layer ingredients until all the ingredients are used. Arrange the Bratwurst on top of the other ingredients. Add chicken stock, beer, wine, bay leaves and juniper berries. Cover the pot with a sheet of aluminum foil and then the lid. Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer 1½ hours. You may need to turn the Bratwurst over to ensure that it cooks all the way through. Serve sauerkraut with equal portions of meat.

Buzzards Roost
02-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh! The cake was a spiced chocalote rum cake one of wife creations. Where is spell check when you need it. Can you put on Yahoo tool bar.

BYBBQ
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Excellent recipe and tips.:thumbs up: Gonna try this one soon.

Chargrilled
02-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Great lookin DO cook!!! I can not wait to try it! My first lesson was from Short One last year. And I knew from that point I was going to give it a try.

I am for sure going to need that table or use a solid plate set inside the CG for a bottom.

Are those Lodges or a different brand? Where did you get your stuff? I have been shoppin around a bit on line. Kinda skinny on the funds right now but will keep an eye peeled for a good deal.

Nice post:thumbs up:

Buzzards Roost
02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Those are lodges and the table is a lodge. I have mostly lodge ovens and some wagners and camp chef. Just pick them up here and there around the eastern part of the US.

Short One
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Looks great BR. will have to try it sometime. :thumbs up:[quote=Chargrilled;32142]Great lookin DO cook!!! I can not wait to try it! My first lesson was from Short One last year. And I knew from that point I was going to give it a try.

Trav, your lesson last year was nothing compared to what BR. has cooked up to show us. I just cook simple foods until I figure out those ovens. Mountain man breakfasts and easy cobblers are not much of a challenge. Tried baking some bread later in the summer and it doesn't take long to learn temp control when baking. Also using briquets verses campfire coals makes a big difference and I use coals most all the time. Bottoms of my first rolls were BLACK, I mean 1/4" thick. Live and learn, and I couldn't eat my mistake that time.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:
But we did bake 3 or 4 pizza's last fall and they were great.

Buzzards Roost
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I learn to cook in dutchovens with coals for a campfire. Only did it that way for many years. Now we live at my wifes job and no place for campfire so I use bricketts. Also use brickett at comps. Its a lot more fun cooking around campfire, and I've burnt plenty a dish.