PDA

View Full Version : abalone mushrooms?

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Not a gardening post, but in the dirt does eeem apt.

Does anybody have any experience with these or know anything about them? I've been seeing them in the local
Asian market abd my curiosity finally got the best of me.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/HPIM2140.jpg

BigAL
02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Nice find there Tim. Here's some info. http://www.specialtyproduce.com/index.php?item=3288

Sounds like they would be good, real good.

BYBBQ
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I've used them a couple times. They are excellent in seafood dishes using crab, lobster, mussels, shrimp. They have a velvety texture and mild taste. I did find they didn't keep well and if they start to turn off white or yellow they are very sour and bitter when cooked.

Get the ADD working and cook something up with them.:thumbs up:

BYBBQ
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Was thinking...............:smack:......now that the smoke has cleared enough to see the keyboard again.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

How about a seafood chowder or maybe a creamy seafood sauce over linguine.:wings:

SmokyOkie
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I took Jim's suggestions to heart and decided to do a seafood fettuccine dish. I sliced them about 1/4-3/8" thick and sauteed them in butter and truffle oil after sauteing some scallops and shrimp, thjn deglazed in wine and reduce in cream. Served over fettuccine with some curls of Parmagiano Reggiano, and a Caeser salad.

Yes, I took pix, but yes, I also screwed up the upload and lost them. Nothing to talk about but memories. I won't talk much about how good the dish was cuz this thread is about the shrooms.

I will talk about the shrooms. If you have never tried them, you should. I believe that they are my new favorite shroom, even above morels. Sweet and light with a kind of floral flavor. I have never experienced any fungus anything like them.

peculiarmike
03-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Spent the past weekend at the Okie Ranch and guess what? We paid a visit to the Asian mkt. and now I have abalone mushrooms.
Going to give them a go, will try to get something posted soon.

SmokyOkie
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
I sliced and quartered some and sauteed them in with some onions and bell pepper for the top of a left over steak sammie last night. Guess who's left over steak.:msn-wink:

peculiarmike
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Hmmmmmmm.................. wonder who's?
You didn't have to ask. She wasn't going to call and have you overnight it. :roflmaoha0:
I KNOW it as good! :drooling:

SmokyOkie
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I just wondered what she would say, and besides, I wanted to gloat a little over the fact that I was going to eat it.:stir::eating::msn-wink:

peculiarmike
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Yer no good.

SmokyOkie
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
:shrug::blushing: