PDA

View Full Version : Still workin on new cooker

Bringin' The Heat
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Seems like forever since I started this cooker.I think it was late september after the loss of my clone.I was hoping to buy one of these but with the economy being so crappy and the wifes job status not so good I just said the heck with it and started makin parts.It is a kinda sorta clone of a Stumps platinum model.I still have a ways to go but my boss let me bring her to work to speed up the process.Currently she has a stall in the shop all to herself with a dedicated crane for moving her around.Hope to finish in the next couple weeks.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice work Coz! Can't wait to see it finished.

What is the purpose of the widening chute?

Bringin' The Heat
02-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Some times with the square tube chutes there may be what is called a brige which is where the charcoal gets wedged and pinched together and doesnt slide down the chute like it should.I was talking with a fella from Minnesota at a comp 2 years ago who had such an event happen.He had the ash door open and was pounding with a steel fence post and when it broke loose he was standing in front of the ash box and recieved some very very serious burns on his legs.It was at that point when I decided no more straight chutes for me.I have not seen how Stump is doing his now but this is what I came up with.The wall of the chute that is closest to the cook chamber is the only straight wall ,all of the others taper away from that one.

BYBBQ
02-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Very nice looking build.:thumbs up:

BigAL
02-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Looks great! Sounds like you have a good idea. Can't wait to see it when it's done. :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Some times with the square tube chutes there may be what is called a brige which is where the charcoal gets wedged and pinched together and doesnt slide down the chute like it should.I was talking with a fella from Minnesota at a comp 2 years ago who had such an event happen.He had the ash door open and was pounding with a steel fence post and when it broke loose he was standing in front of the ash box and recieved some very very serious burns on his legs.It was at that point when I decided no more straight chutes for me.I have not seen how Stump is doing his now but this is what I came up with.The wall of the chute that is closest to the cook chamber is the only straight wall ,all of the others taper away from that one.

I have high regardsfor a man that thinks and plans!:thumbs up:

Bringin' The Heat
02-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I dont make any claims to have any original ideas or thoughts on these cookers I build for myself.I just listen to what others have said and done and try to adapt them for my self.I have the highest regards for the Stumps and Backwoods ,Spicewine originators for the stones it takes to do what they do especially in todays economy.

Bringin' The Heat
02-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Here is a pic of the unit with the food grate frames in the Stainless expanded should get sheared monday and then I can weld them in to the frames.I like to use stainless for the grates even though its painfully expensive.I could have done the grates in steel for 1/4 of what the stainless was but I think being easier to clean up in the long run is worth the price.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I dont make any claims to have any original ideas or thoughts on these cookers I build for myself.I just listen to what others have said and done and try to adapt them for my self.I have the highest regards for the Stumps and Backwoods ,Spicewine originators for the stones it takes to do what they do especially in todays economy.

Funny thing, the BW factory tells me they are taking more orders for top end units that ever before.

Bringin' The Heat
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I read a lot of forums and it sure appears that the boys are buying lots of cookers yet.I think that Stumps is quite busy also.It looks to me that if your winning in the comps that your products are going to keep moving.I have several friends that use BWs.in fact one was the winner of the upgraded Party for the drawing for those who compete with BWs.I used another friends BWs at the Royal Invitational last fall.They are nice units.I wish I would have had the time to practice with them before the event.He Had a Party and one of the little ones.I am used to cooking large cuts on Butts and Brisket and it didnt quite work out with the way he usually does things.I did get 23rd in Chicken in the Invitational but did very poorly in the rest of the categories.I think I just overloaded the Party and messed up the airflow.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
It is possible to overload a Backwoods, and a Stumps as well I imagine.

We use an extended party for ribs, a chubby for chix and a Piglet for brisket and butts.

Joneser
02-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Top notch craftsmanship! I love to see steel being worked into something beautiful! I can't wait to see it with thin blue streaming out of the stack.

Bringin' The Heat
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Started the skinning process.Heres the latest pic

SmokyOkie
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Lookn good.:thumbs up:

chadd17
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice work. Cant wait for the finished pics.

Bringin' The Heat
03-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Well we have some more done. The cooker itself and the cook chamber door are powder coated.I took the camera and was going to take pics of the whole powder coating process but took it out and the batteries were dead :oops: I still have to do the chute top door and the ash box door but I had a window of opportunity to get the big stuff coated so we did it early saturday morning.I was home by 7:30 AM.

SmokyOkie
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Need Pix!

Bringin' The Heat
03-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Need Pix!
In the next couple days I will have a few new ones.

Bringin' The Heat
03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Well we still are not done but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.All thats left other then building a shelf is to finish the ash box door and paint and mount the ash box and chute doors.Oh yea still need to finish weld 2 small racks yet but thats minor.Hoping to have her done mid week.

Bringin' The Heat
03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry forgot the pics

Bringin' The Heat
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Brought her home tonite.There will bw seasoning pics and some sort of cook pics this weekend.

BA_LoKo
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Strike a match and get her hot. We're lookin' forward to seeing that burn!

SmokyOkie
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
:thumbs up::tap:

Bringin' The Heat
03-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Hers the start of the day.I will be doing some butts later .For now its a nice lil chuckie roast,some chik leg quarters and a few pork steaks.The trailer is just a temporary deal as when the weather gets good I am going to clean out the garage and build a trailer just for this cooker.? for you offset guys do you usually run your dampners in the stack widee open or do you shut them down a little?So far the Guru is not having any problems holding with it wide open.

BA_LoKo
03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, that thing is a beauty!

As to your question, I don't even have a stack damper since I put a flue and shanty cap on it. I just use the fire box vents and/or door to tweak my temps. I've got a chuck tenderloin roast and a chicken cruising on her now. I'll see if I can go take a couple of pics.

BA_LoKo
03-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure if you can see the damper area here.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0891.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0890.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0889.jpg

Joneser
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
That's an amazing looking machine! Nice work!

SmokyOkie
03-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Hers the start of the day.I will be doing some butts later .For now its a nice lil chuckie roast,some chik leg quarters and a few pork steaks.The trailer is just a temporary deal as when the weather gets good I am going to clean out the garage and build a trailer just for this cooker.? for you offset guys do you usually run your dampners in the stack widee open or do you shut them down a little?So far the Guru is not having any problems holding with it wide open.

It depends on the size of your stack. you will burn more fuel faster with the damper open, but depending on the design of your smoker, if you shut it down too much, the airflow decreases and you could end up with too much smoke condensing out on your meat.

I keep the damper shut about 3/4 of the way with my Backwoods and guru. My stickbburner has a 7" dia stack which is really too much stack for it. I close it about 1/3 of the way.

It's a unique smoker. Play with is and see which works best for you.

Remember this though, part of the reason one leaves the stack open is to induce draft. With the Guru, you are cooking primarily with forced draft, so you don;t nee to leave the stack open as far in order to obtain the same temps.

Bringin' The Heat
03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Just threw a couple butts in for the nite shift.

Bringin' The Heat
03-22-2009, 05:28 PM
She is cooling down now.I lit er at 8 am on saturday and kept popping different things in till about 2:30 Sunday afternoon.First impression is that she is a charcoal eating SOB.Then reallity was that I did some things that made the consumption much worse.I didnt take the time to set up a table there to work so when I was foiling butts or otherwise messing around with the meat in there the door was kept open for an unreasonable time.I know that more than once the guru read below 100 degrees when I closed the door after being in there.I also ran her with the chimney damper wide open.I think using the Guru I dont need to have this open all the way .All food finished out good.The comp practice butt was one of the better I have done.Next weekend she will get around 2 cases of butts to do and a couple racks of practice ribs.As with any new to me project I have a few things to modify but as of now I am certain she will do what I wanted.I did neglect to take pics of the finished food as we had company and I just plain forgot :oops:

SmokyOkie
03-22-2009, 06:17 PM
She is cooling down now.I lit er at 8 am on saturday and kept popping different things in till about 2:30 Sunday afternoon.First impression is that she is a charcoal eating SOB.Then reallity was that I did some things that made the consumption much worse.I didnt take the time to set up a table there to work so when I was foiling butts or otherwise messing around with the meat in there the door was kept open for an unreasonable time.I know that more than once the guru read below 100 degrees when I closed the door after being in there.I also ran her with the chimney damper wide open.I think using the Guru I dont need to have this open all the way .All food finished out good.The comp practice butt was one of the better I have done.Next weekend she will get around 2 cases of butts to do and a couple racks of practice ribs.As with any new to me project I have a few things to modify but as of now I am certain she will do what I wanted.I did neglect to take pics of the finished food as we had company and I just plain forgot :oops:

I can't speak to the thermal dynamics of your gravity feed unit, but my Backwoods only need to damper to be about 1/4 open.

Bringin' The Heat
03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I can't speak to the thermal dynamics of your gravity feed unit, but my Backwoods only need to damper to be about 1/4 open.

I picked up on this thought after reading your reply in a earlier post.I am going to play with it more next weekend.I also am ordering a chimney cap and that should slow the flow down a little if its like the others I have had.The exhaust is a twink over 8" on the inside of the tube.Most of the originals that I have seen pics of had dampers on them.I know it will take a little time for the learning curve but our first comp of the season isnt till mid July.I have a lot of time to practice tween now and then.

SmokyOkie
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
It's really just a matter of whether or not the Guru will provide sufficient forced draft to keep the burn going. If it will, you should be able to shut the chimney damper most of the way.

Fatback Joe has a GF 223 and he started using a Guru on it. As I recall, not only did he have to close the chimney damper down, he also had to shut the shutter on the Guru fan halfway or better because the induced draft flowed too well through the guru fan.

Bringin' The Heat
03-23-2009, 06:13 PM
On my first clone which would be about the same size as Joes I didnt have a damper and also ran my 10 cfm partially closed.I am runnig this one with the 25 cfm fan.I have a couple cases of butts to do this weekend if its halfway decent weather this weekend.There will be some experimenting with the damper.

SmokyOkie
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Be sure to share with us.

Bringin' The Heat
03-28-2009, 12:13 PM
We fired the beast up this morning and threw some butts in.I got the first case of butts rubbed and realized I was out of the chosen rub http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile_blush.gifhttp://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif How the FARK DID I RUN OUT OF YARDBIRD!!!!!!!! Finished them out with some other stuff my buddy had.Quite windy here today and she is holding temp well but charcoal consumption is not pretty.When I fired her up Guru said 29 degrees and in an hour she was up to 230.Now we will see how she does.I have the chimney damper 3/4 closed this cook.

Joneser
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Looks like a good dinner will be had! Nice Butts!

Jake
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
shes hot looking my friend nice job, food looks good to, glad i came across this post :thumbs up:

Bringin' The Heat
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Couple of the finished Butts

Bringin' The Heat
03-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Last pic.Getting ready to ry some pork belly that i cured with Buckboard bacon mix.

Jake
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
looks good to me:drooling:

Joneser
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice Butts....

SmokyOkie
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Looking great! Why don't you think about posting through Photobucket so everybody can see the whole picture?

Here's a link (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)

Bringin' The Heat
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I dont know why I didnt give the photo bucket link.I did it on the cloners home site.Any way here is the photobucket link
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/bringintheheat181/2ndcook.jpg

Bringin' The Heat
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I messed that one up

http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/bringintheheat181/

BA_LoKo
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I dont know why I didnt give the photo bucket link.I did it on the cloners home site.Any way here is the photobucket link
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/bringintheheat181/2ndcook.jpg

Now THAT is a good lookin' pan of pig. When friends ask me what it is, I tell them it's "pig with lipstick". :roflmaoha0:

Some times I just crack myself up. :shrug:

I'd eat that! :eating:

SmokyOkie
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
No, you didn't screw it up, we like the big pix, not linx.

Like this

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt5/bringintheheat181/2ndcook011Small.jpg

Just copy the IMG code.

I noticed that yours auto copied when i clicked it. when I copy mine, I have to left click it and then right click and click copy.

Much better lookin than the little pix!:thumbs up:

Jake
03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
i too am a big fan of the big pics less hassle then clicking on them and a bigger better pic IMHO :thumbs up: i would even rather have to scan over to the right some if i had too, i love the big pics lets you get a real good look :blushing:
oh im a little blind too :msn-wink: :thumbs up:

Bringin' The Heat
09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Well after a whole lot of burn time this year I feel this cooker has proven well worth the time and expense.Since she came home there has only been 3 weekends to date that she hasnt been burning.Several of the weekends she did 2 or 3 cases of butts on friday saturday and 2 or 3 more on saturday sunday.She has 4 contests under her belt and faired well.All KCBS contests and all qualifiers.2 GCs ,a 5th and a 10th.The tenth was my own fault for changing recipes in a contest....23rd in brisket .All in all a very busy summer for her.I will be starting a stepsister for her this winter. Intersting fact,3 of the 4 contests in Wisconsin this year were won by gravity feed cookers?

SmokyOkie
09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Man, where have you been. I had to go back in the thread to refresh my memory on what cooker you were talking about.

Congrats on a great season and on a well designed cooker, and come see us more often. You know we have a competition forum and would love to have you brag a bit when you do well.

....But for the record ( being a Backwoods dealer) i should mention that 7 out of the top 9 winners at Memphis in May cooked on Backwoods.:blushing::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Good to see you around!

Bringin' The Heat
09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Nothin wrong with those Backwoods. have talked with the owner and he seems to be a great guy in my book.Been a crazy busy summer.I have been poppin in and out just havent had much to say.

SmokyOkie
09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm quite sure that wining on a Backwoods would never compare with winning on your own home built Stumps clone though, huh?

I do remember your build, and I was really impressed by your skills and design.

Bringin' The Heat
09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I have blueprinted a backwoods but have not had the time to clone one yet.Someday I am going to do that for fun.I have helped a few of the boys around here with firebaskets for their smaller BWS cookers ,so I have played with them a little. A win is a win no matter what ya cook it on. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Just be careful about the patent issue. If you clone one, I wouldn't talk too loud about it. I know they have taken a few folks to court over patent infringement.

Bringin' The Heat
09-25-2009, 07:38 PM
There would be enuff of a diffrerence that it shouldnt be any issues.Somthing that helps is when every one knows you dont build anything to sell.

SmokyOkie
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
You're prolly right.

I really think they stay busy enough building smokers that they prolly don't give a rat's patoot if somebody wants to build their own.

dsva
01-21-2010, 11:45 PM
What thickness materials did you use on the smoker? I am in the process of building a BWS type smoker currently. I have posted pictures on another forum under other builds

SmokyOkie
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
You need to post them over here. We aren't a sub forum of theirs.

Backwoods uses 22 ga on their skins.

dsva
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
22 gauge on the outer skin or the inner cook chamber skin?

Attached are some pictures of my build. I have used 14 gauge for the inner cook chamber and water pan. The frame is 16 gauge tubing and the cook chamber skins are 18 gauge. After welding I am thinking I should have just put down the cash and used 10 gauge.

The frame is 46” x 22”,x 24” (hlw), I ended up with a 29”x20”x20” cook chamber with racks spaced 3” apart. I am going to have a sheet metal shop construct some panes out of 18 gauge and doors out of 16 gauge steel.

DSVA

Butt Lover's
01-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice work :)

Vermin99
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
looking good.

BA_LoKo
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Very nice. I like your little helper too. I'm sure this build will be a memory for you both for many years to come.

BTW, is he a member here yet? He helps you cook too, doesn't he? :msn-wink:

Partyshack BBQ
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
very nice build. looks like my old backwoods.

SmokyOkie
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
22 gauge on the outer skin or the inner cook chamber skin?

Attached are some pictures of my build. I have used 14 gauge for the inner cook chamber and water pan. The frame is 16 gauge tubing and the cook chamber skins are 18 gauge. After welding I am thinking I should have just put down the cash and used 10 gauge.

The frame is 46” x 22”,x 24” (hlw), I ended up with a 29”x20”x20” cook chamber with racks spaced 3” apart. I am going to have a sheet metal shop construct some panes out of 18 gauge and doors out of 16 gauge steel.

DSVA

Are you trying to clone a Competitor?

the outside skin is 22 ga, and I don't think there is anything thicker than 14 ga, but I could be wrong. I can find out if you are really interested.

If it were me, I would have set the inside length at 23-24" so that a steam table pan would fit lengthwise, but then, I use a lot of pans when I cook.

I could be wrong, but it appears that your drain pipe is smaller than the Backwoods. The only real place that that would matter would be in adding water. I think ( but would have to check) that the Backwoods is 1 1/2" pipe.

Have you considered setting it up with automatic water? I would highly recommend it if you plan on doing long cooks.

When considering the thickness of the metal, you might want to think about time it takes to heat and overall weight.

IMHO, the Backwoods units are an optimum consideration of both.

dsva
01-26-2010, 01:17 AM
That would be nice if someone can let me know the thickness of the material used on the Backwoods.

As for the pans, I have not used any pans yet for smoking. The only bad thing I see about using a large pan, if it were to take up too much space, there flow of smoke/heat gradiant will be affected.

As for the drain pipe it is 1" diameter pipe, true OD is around 1.25". The pipe will be used to drain the pan when the cook chamber is cleaned after a cook.

I may set up an automatic watering system. I do not know what others have used but the set up will work like standard 5 gallon water dispenser with the upside down bottle.

Any one use any other type of automatic watering systems?

Buddha Belly BBQ
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey Dsva,
Great looking work.
Do you by chance happen to have plans you are working from?
If so I would live to get em from ya if you are willing
Thanks
Buddha Belly BBQ

californiasmokin
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Dsva,
Great looking work.
Do you by chance happen to have plans you are working from?
If so I would live to get em from ya if you are willing
Thanks
Buddha Belly BBQ

:sign0016: Why don't you drop by" Cmon in and sit down" and introduce yourself.

dsva
01-27-2010, 04:51 PM
No plans, I have been looking at different smokers online and just came up with my one method to build a Backwoods type smoker. I just like building stuff. I have flown model airplanes for over 20 years and have had many side projects.

Not too much magic.

The frame is 24" wide, 22" deep and 46" tall. And I filled in all the dimensions as I went. If I were to do it all over again I have come up with methods that would save over 50% of the time I have spent. I have the outer skins welded on and am developing sketches for the outer skins. I am going to have a sheet metal shop fabricate the outer skins and doors.

Speaking of doors, does anyone have a good link or material to use for the door seals?

What type of seals did Bringin’ On Heat use?

Also, what type of sealant did you use. I have not found too much information on this but was thinking of ordering 1” rope from Mcmastercarr and using 600ºF RTV. Does this sound like it will work?

Joneser
01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass-seals/=5k8g25
About the middle of the page, there are seals that you can rivet or bolt through. I thought they had fiberglas flange seals, but that must be somewhere else...

SmokyOkie
01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
No plans, I have been looking at different smokers online and just came up with my one method to build a Backwoods type smoker. I just like building stuff. I have flown model airplanes for over 20 years and have had many side projects.

Not too much magic.

The frame is 24" wide, 22" deep and 46" tall. And I filled in all the dimensions as I went. If I were to do it all over again I have come up with methods that would save over 50% of the time I have spent. I have the outer skins welded on and am developing sketches for the outer skins. I am going to have a sheet metal shop fabricate the outer skins and doors.

Speaking of doors, does anyone have a good link or material to use for the door seals?

What type of seals did Bringin’ On Heat use?

Also, what type of sealant did you use. I have not found too much information on this but was thinking of ordering 1” rope from Mcmastercarr and using 600ºF RTV. Does this sound like it will work?

Backwoods smokers use a tadpole gasket (http://www.mcmaster.com/#tadpole-gaskets/=5kc8ci)

The "tail" of the gasket is screwed in between the inside skin of the door and the door frame. It is easy to install and easy to replace if necessary. It is also 100% mechanical and doesn't rely on adhesives that can degrade.

Bringin' The Heat
02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
The Tad pole gasket is what I used and even in the below zero weather this winter it worked well.McMaster is where I got it.

SmokyOkie
02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
They work great, but you have to have something to screw them in between.