PDA

View Full Version : TwoLoose Screws CTO

jminion
02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
here is a couple of the gasser we use for the business, the first set is a Ole Hickory CTO
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/DSCF0045.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/DSCF0046.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/DSCF0044.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/DSCF0043.jpg

jminion
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
This the Ole hickory EL-EDx 75 sq ft of grate space. These are some pictures from a Operation BBQ cook
at Fort Lewis for the Stirker Brigade home coming from Iraq.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/opbbq001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/jminion/opbbq002.jpg

Butt Lover's
02-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Nice smokers :)

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Nice smokers :)

Gotta have one Mike?:msn-wink:

Jim, can you give us some perspective on the size of the CTO?

Also, was the one picture from an Ole Hickory convention?:roflmaoha0:

Man, that's a lot of Ole Hickories!

Have you ever cooked on a Southern Pride? Most of the Q joints around here use them as opposed to the Ole Hickories.

Spose that's just a regional thing, or are there differences that make one preferable over the other?

jminion
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
The CTO has just short of 20 sq ft of grate space, gas feed with a log burner for smoke. Convection fan moves smoke and heat. Will cook from 140 to a top end of 325 degrees. It does have a hot spot on top grate.

The larger units are two 60 sq ft grate units and one with 75 sq ft, all rotisseire cookers. Heat supplied from back with log burner to control smoke, two convection fans. The larger unit has smoke evacuator and 150 degree hot hold function.

With the larger units no worry about hot spots, and I find yields about 15% higher than other cookers, with that and being able to do 216 racks of spares at time it comes in handy.

Picked Ole Hickory after checking on what it takes to repair them. I can get a lot of the parts in an auto part store, wasn't the case with Southern Pride. Also if you look at frames and some of the heavier metal parts are thicker material.

I would not feel bad about owing a Southern Pride.

PS: those three cookers, in 24 hours, a friend and myself did butts, briskets, chicken and ribs for 6000 for the Striker Brigade in Sept.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
The CTO has just short of 20 sq ft of grate space, gas feed with a log burner for smoke. Convection fan moves smoke and heat. Will cook from 140 to a top end of 325 degrees. It does have a hot spot on top grate.

The larger units are two 60 sq ft grate units and one with 75 sq ft, all rotisseire cookers. Heat supplied from back with log burner to control smoke, two convection fans. The larger unit has smoke evacuator and 150 degree hot hold function.

With the larger units no worry about hot spots, and I find yields about 15% higher than other cookers, with that and being able to do 216 racks of spares at time it comes in handy.

Picked Ole Hickory after checking on what it takes to repair them. I can get a lot of the parts in an auto part store, wasn't the case with Southern Pride. Also if you look at frames and some of the heavier metal parts are thicker material.

I would not feel bad about owing a Southern Pride.

PS: those three cookers, in 24 hours, a friend and myself did butts, briskets, chicken and ribs for 6000 for the Striker Brigade in Sept.

Thank you for Your service sir!

So for the purpose of perspective, what are the approximate dimensions of the grates in the CTO?

Are the southern Prides about the same price? I was thinking that if one way building one into a Q Joint as opposed to a mobile unit, the thicker meat might not really matter.

I sure did like Robert's.

jminion
02-21-2009, 11:08 PM
There are 4 26 2/2" X 26 1/2" grates in the CTO>

Ole Hickory runs more money but I felt it was worth it.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
That makes it a lot bigger unit than it looks.

As to the southern Prides being cheaper, I suppose that supports the theory that i expressed earlier. I'm not a price buyer either.

BigAL
02-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Aside from look'n at some very nice smokers......what you did for those men and women is fantastic. :thumbs up:

jminion
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Aside from look'n at some very nice smokers......what you did for those men and women is fantastic. :thumbs up:

It was part of Operation BBQ program, we find companys the donate all the food for the troops and we give our time and equipment to say thanks to the troops. If you have a base in your area that has troops either leaving or returning from a deployment it's a great opportunity.

peculiarmike
02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Other than family can't think of a better thing to come home to than some good que! Nice Jim!
Yep, lotta Southern Pride units around here for commercial use & catering, mostly on trailers. Gassers are easy quein' and the ticket for mass quantities, turn out good eats.
I look for the brick pit, stack of wood and smoke at the joints I frequent though.

jminion
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Other than family can't think of a better thing to come home to than some good que! Nice Jim!
Yep, lotta Southern Pride units around here for commercial use & catering, mostly on trailers. Gassers are easy quein' and the ticket for mass quantities, turn out good eats.
I look for the brick pit, stack of wood and smoke at the joints I frequent though.

If your like me you remember the best briskets you have ever cooked.
The first one that was over the top was on a offset Klose but the best ever came off of the Ole Hickory. The texture, bark, flavor, moisture was everything you want. I find that heat is heat and with the Ole Hickory I can control the smoke very easily.

Now most of my cooking for the family comes off of the Primos and when catering we do chicken and ribs on site with the Klose (great show for the customer) but the heavy meats are cooked on the Ole Hickorys and they get their rest in cambros on the ride to the customer.

Honestly I have a problem eating in BBQ joints most are only fair at best and many are flat bad.

Bbq Bubba
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Great thread Jim, thanks for showing your equipment.

Gave me some good ideas as we live very close to Selfridge ANGB!

I would kill for the CTO for comps! :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 06:54 PM
The first one that was over the top was on a offset Klose but the best ever came off of the Ole Hickory. The texture, bark, flavor, moisture was everything you want. I find that heat is heat and with the Ole Hickory I can control the smoke very easily.

Now most of my cooking for the family comes off of the Primos and when catering we do chicken and ribs on site with the Klose (great show for the customer) but the heavy meats are cooked on the Ole Hickorys and they get their rest in cambros on the ride to the customer.

Honestly I have a problem eating in BBQ joints most are only fair at best and many are flat bad.

There is only one in all of Tulsa that I will go to for anything other than a sammich, and even theirs is nothing that i would turn in. Even the best just can't mass produce as well as they can with just a few slabs or briskets.

Butt Lover's
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
[quote=SmokyOkie;31779]Gotta have one Mike?:msn-wink:[quote]

Well....:shrug:

peculiarmike
02-23-2009, 08:16 AM

You got that right! There are some here in KC that are up to the task.

peculiarmike
02-23-2009, 08:19 AM
There is only one in all of Tulsa that I will go to for anything other than a sammich, and even theirs is nothing that i would turn in. Even the best just can't mass produce as well as they can with just a few slabs or briskets.

What you turn in and what you get at a joint are two vastly different animals. And neither are close to what comes off your pit at home.

smokin-drinking
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I have a CTO that is a rotisserie. No hot spots. Did 90lbs of butts and 40lbs of brisket all the same time. Looking to fab some rib racks for it so i can do around 40 racks at once.

jerry516planes
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Yes they do! Many of us here have donated time to Dave Waun - BBQ for Our Troops. "Try it. Try it. You will like it" :msn-wink:

Thank you for your service.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Besides that, they're real purdy.:blushing: